What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Though he’s better known today for the cult classic Mommie Dearest (1981) and being the uncle of pop superstar Katy Perry, Frank Perry was once known as one of the prescient independent filmmakers working in Hollywood. He and his wife Eleanor made waves with their debut feature David and Lisa (1962), which earned both of them an Oscar nomination for their screenplay and Frank an Oscar nod for Best Director; for their follow up, the couple had Cold War paranoia in their sights with Ladybug Ladybug. Kino has licensed the movie from MGM – the film’s current rights holder – for its home video debut.

Ladybug Ladybug (1963)

Released: 23 Dec 1963
Rated: NOT RATED
Runtime: 82 min

Director: Frank Perry
Genre: Drama

Cast: Jane Connell, William Daniels, James Frawley, Richard Hamilton
Writer(s): Eleanor Perry (screenplay), Lois Dickert (story)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I saw this film at a sneak preview a couple of months before it opened, then about ten more times during its one-theater release in LA, where it played for three or four weeks but did zero business. I loved it, needless to say, and thought it a worthy follow-up to their first film, David and Lisa. As far as I know, it never showed on television here - overseas, yes - and from that showing came bootleg videos, both VHS and DVD that were open matte and of horrible quality, but that was it - the film was never released on home video legitimately. So, the announcement of this Blu-ray was very good news. I got it on release day and it's really a wonderful transfer and it's a film worth discovering and for most it will BE a discovery, as so few saw it when it came out, and it's had no TV or home video life. As to the commentary, I really hated it, I must say. And when a "historian" says that Marilyn Rogers was on Broadway doing Fiddler on the Roof in 1961 I can't really take anything he says seriously, since Fiddler wasn't even written in 1961 let alone on Broadway - that would happen in 1964. She's wonderful in this movie and heartbreaking. After Fiddler, she left show business. She created the role of Amaryllis in The Music Man on B'way and was Brigitta in the Broadway The Sound of Music.

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
Actually this film did get some tv airings a few years ago on the Decades channel. This is where I discovered this film and was completely captivated by it. Highly recommend this movie.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I remembered that TCM a couple of years ago aired this movie, which was how I became aware of its existence. Needless to say, it was just as potent as when I first saw it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Actually this film did get some tv airings a few years ago on the Decades channel. This is where I discovered this film and was completely captivated by it. Highly recommend this movie.
Yes, but that was just a few years ago - up until that not at all. But so glad people are discovering it.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thank you for the concise and well written review. I was waiting on a review as I am one of those who never saw or even heard of this film before. Very interesting about the school principal being the actor that voiced KITT later on for Knight Rider. I really enjoy these Cold War films, especially the ones performed in the aftermath of ww2 up to the mid 60s. Thank you also to Haineshisway for the follow up comments.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Caught this tremendous movie on TMC a couple of years ago. Couldn't get it out of my head for weeks. Sorely overlooked, a real treat to know that it is now commercially available. A definite buy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks