1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lady of Burlesque (2 versions, which is better?)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I see two different "Lady of Burlesque" starring Barbara Stanwick, one at $10 and the other at $25. Both have the same (lack) of features but wondered if anyone could comment on either?

2. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I haven't seen either, but as a general rule (and a fairly reliable one in my experience), titles apparently in the public domain that are presented by Image prove a much better bet than the same titles when presented by other non-studio companies (I have great affection for Roan's product, which dates back to a couple of fine laserdiscs I bought years ago and several good DVDs I also own, but when wagering between the two, sight unseen, I'd put my eggs in Image's basket: too many Roan discs just look terrible, though as of 2006, a few newer discs have received very nice reviews at both DVDTalk and DVDVerdict). The only notable exception I've encountered is with Image's "Hal Roach Studios" line; I've seen two discs in that line, Meet John Doe and Topper Returns; neither were worth their purchase prices, and as I recall Topper Returns was marred by a particularly poor contrast range, along with a few analogue video errors.

I've been meaning to pick up this Stanwyck film in its Image edition (which is not part of the "Hal Roach Studios" line, to be clear; it appears to be part of their Wade Williams Collection of discs, which has had entries ranging from excellent to not very good); if I ever get around to it, I'll let ya' know how it turns out. But in the meantime, Image is certainly the safer bet in the absence of reviews. Theirs is the more expensive edition, and here's a link to a cover scan of the Image case at DVD Empire:

Lady of Burlesque: The G-String Murders

3. ScottCor

ScottCor Stunt Coordinator

I see there is now a third version, I think from Roan Group..I know the Image version is the most expensive but is it that much better then the Roan one?..want to pick this up but would rather spend less if I can help it.

4. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    There's a 4th version on disc from Genius Entertainment called: AMC Classics: Hollywood Divas that features LADY as well as RAIN, HOMETOWN STORY and OF HUMAN BONDAGE. I've viewed LADY and it's a very good print. This set can be had for around $5.50. It appears this is the same transfer as the Image disc.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I picked up the Roan disc and the transfer was very good, as is the norm with Roan. I haven't seen any of the others so I can't make a comparison.

6. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

Has anyeone seen the other DVD versions of this movie?

I want to purchase it but I'm not quite sure which version is the best.

7. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    From what I have read and seen, the Image version is the one to get even though it isn't anamorphic or restored.

8. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

The Image DVD, even though it's not restored, is better???

I'm going to go to my local video store and see if both this version and the Roan DVD version are available for rental.

9. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Are there any opinions on the "St. Clair Vision" set (which also includes 'The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers and 'Meet John Doe' )?

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

If this 1943 movie is anamorphic, stay far away.