"Lady Frankenstein" - which version to get?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    As with many PD titles, this one has several issues but wonder which is the best transfer to buy on DVD?

Also, does anyone know if "Blood and Black Lace" was ever shown on Chiller or Shock Theater in the states? I noticed that VCI has a 2-disc collector's edition of it and wonder how it is?

Thanks! [​IMG]
    Eric

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The general word I've read on the new BLOOD AND BLACK LACE disc is that, while anamorphic, it has inferior color and detail in comparison with the original release. It does have a bit more picture info however, so YMMV.

There are tons of LADY FRANKENSTEIN DVDs on the market in the US; I've got the film in a couple of PD sets. I had the DVD-Drive In version but quickly sold it as the aspect ratio was heavily compromised and cropped for a "fake" widescreen effect. It looked like they took an already cropped fullscreen version and further matted it down at the top and bottom; the result was unwatchable.

3. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Tim Lucas, who covered the most recent LADY FRANKENSTEIN disc in a recent Video Watchdog, wrote that he had been contacted by some guys in Europe a few months back who had found the original uncut neg of the film, done a much better transfer, and had managed to record a new commentary with director Mel Welles (plus other extras) before Welles passed away. So, apparently there is a new remastered definitive with bells-and-whistles edition of LADY FRANKENSTEIN in the works, but availability and potential region-coding issues are up in the air. When it streets it'll likely be available through US vendors like Xploited Cinema and DiabolikDVD.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Thanks for the background on Lady Frankenstein but no one has answered my initial question. Which "current" version should I get - even if it isn't perfect but passable to watch?