lady bugs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Feb 13, 2002.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Anyone know any method of keeping lady bugs out of your house?[​IMG]

2. Karen Maraj

Karen Maraj Agent

get a cat... "mmm.. tasty" says the kitty!

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Are you sure they're ladybugs? We were inundated a year or two ago by these tiny orange beetles that look like ladybugs, but they aren't. They bite! They would congregate in swarms on the side of the house with exposure to the sun. They get in through the tiniest cracks and hibernate in the walls. Good luck if that's what you have, because I know of nobody that has been able to get rid of them.

4. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

I have had the same bugs the last two years. I am actually still finding a live one every now and then. They look like ladybugs but a little lighter orange and yes they do bite. Two years ago I must have vaccummed over 100 from a single bedroom alone!

5. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

What you have are called Box Elder bugs. They live in the soil near your foundation and under the siding. They destroy Maple trees. They are attracted to Maple trees but can be a problem up to several miles from the tree. The trees have to be treated as well as the house and foundation. They are only harmful to the tree, but they also smell. An exterminator can get rid of them if he knows what he is doing. Not all will know what they are or how to treat the problem. These bugs get into the house when all possible openings have been eliminated. I live in a townhouse community and am the president of the association. Several of us had this problem and we finally found an exterminator who knew what they are and how to get rid of them.

6. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I'll second the cat suggestion...it keeps your house bug-free and gives the cats a protein boost!

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Actually, the bugs I was referring to are not Box Elders. They are the Asian Lady Beetles or Harmonia axyridis. The were brought into the U.S. in the late 80's in an attempt to control the effect of Aphids on pecan crops in Louisiana. They have spread north over the years and first made their presence felt in the Chicago area in the fall of 2001. They generally cluster together in swarms of hundreds, even thousands and find their way into houses through tiny gaps near doorjambs or window frames. Then they hibernate in the walls. I the spring, they either leave or die--I don't know which, since I usually don't see them again until the fall. This year with the warm winter however, I have noticed in past weeks that some that were in the walls have apparently awakened from their slumber and have found their way back into the living areas. I usually crunch them when I see them or even vacuum them up if there are a lot.

8. Tom Johnson

I have two cats. They aren't interested in these things, but in the fall when the crickets are around look out. I find cricket bodies and cricket legs everywhere.

9. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

That sounds like what I have. When you crunch them they emit an odor. They come in all over the place in many rooms in my house. I even have them coming in now, in the wintertime. They huddle together when its cold too.

Tom Johnson, what do I need to look for in an exterminator in order to get rid of these bugs? What type of chemical do they use to get rid of them? I am sure there are a lot of scams in my area when it comes to these and I do not want to get taken.

10. Tom Johnson

11. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

darrin,

not sure if this information will help you, but a few years ago, in our prior place of residence, our landlord's dog brought fleas into the house. we have 2 cats, so we had to get rid of the fleas. we bought a couple of those flea bombs and set them off. when we returned to the house, there were hundreds of dead ladybugs lying at the base of our chimney. not sure if they were in the chimney or what, but the bomb took them out big time.

brian

12. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tom, I didn't know they were called Box Elders everyone up here just calls them maple bugs. The annual investation is always popular coffee talk. Thankfully they are just a pain in the ass and don't do any real damage unless you are a tree.

Mike

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

14. Tom Johnson

We used a Maryland company called, Brother Exterminating. You can call them at 888-816-PEST. Ask for Paul and tell him that you got his name from the president of the Weymouth Ridge community.

15. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor