What's new

Blu-ray Review Lady and the Tramp: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
What is weird is that the main titles still mention CinemaScope in the flat version. 1998 Fullscreen Laserdisc 2006 Pan/Scan DVD 2006 Widescreen DVD 2012 Widescreen Blu-ray (downscaled) 1998 Fullscreen Laserdisc 2006 Pan/Scan DVD 2006 Widescreen DVD 2012 Widescreen Blu-ray (downscaled)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Haven't looked at my LD in a long time, but I think there was a close up shot of a handwritten note that looks very different in the flat version as well? The tv commercials for this release are really something. Fast editing for the short attention span crowd, and a rocking guitar soundtrack I'm sure wasn't in the movie. ;)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
SilverWook said:
Haven't looked at my LD in a long time, but I think there was a close up shot of a handwritten note that looks very different in the flat version as well?
Just let me know the scene and I'll post comparison pics for ya. By and large I'm happy with this release, but it appears to be the identical "restoration" done for the 2006 DVD release, only now in HD.There is the tiniest bit of additional picture on the far right and left, but that can be chalked up to the authoring. I was hoping for a new one using whatever advancements have occurred in the process in the past 6 years.

I read that the flat version was restored a few years back as well. Huge miss on Disney's part not to release it.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Lord Dalek said:
Is there no surround channel on the original mix? I was under the impression this was originally 4.0 theatrically like the rest of the 2.55:1 Mag Cinemascope films.
I can't say about this one but many mag titles only had 3 channels, with no 4th surround track.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
eric scott richard said:
I read that the flat version was restored a few years back as well. Huge miss on Disney's part not to release it.
It was preserved but I doubt restored, if restoration was even necessary. They didn't want to have to do all of the work on both versions and I can hardly blame them, especially as the flat version is a curio at best (not like the alternate flat versions of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, BRIGADOON, etc.) "Huge miss" on not including the 1.37:1 version? Um, not really, not now that everyone buying the Blu-ray has a 16x9 HDTV. They would either have to view it with bars on the sides or stretched and distorted across the screen.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'd like to have had the opportunity to see the flat version as well. I don't mind the bars on the side, and I would never consider stretching and distorting the picture. People who mind the black vertical bars will most likely object to the widescreen transfer, since that will preserve the OAR. And there will be horizontal bars in that version.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Chuck Pennington said:
Just let me know the scene and I'll post comparison pics for ya. By and large I'm happy with this release, but it appears to be the identical "restoration" done for the 2006 DVD release, only now in HD.There is the tiniest bit of additional picture on the far right and left, but that can be chalked up to the authoring. I was hoping for a new one using whatever advancements have occurred in the process in the past 6 years.
Thanks. My primary LD player jammed up the other night, so it might be a while.

Are the deleted scenes that are only on the digital copy available on the last dvd release? I don't want to get the 3 disc, but it is unfortunate that those bits are only available on that version.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Matt. I didn't read anything that scares me about picking up the disc today, even if I won't be watching it for a while.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I like how Disney opens the film with the late 1980's/1990's Walt Disney Pictures logo and then the original Buena Vista Logo opening. This is how WB's should do their titles instead of replacing the logo with a brand new one! (deleting the original)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Chuck Pennington said:
It was preserved but I doubt restored, if restoration was even necessary. They didn't want to have to do all of the work on both versions and I can hardly blame them, especially as the flat version is a curio at best (not like the alternate flat versions of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, BRIGADOON, etc.) "Huge miss" on not including the 1.37:1 version? Um, not really, not now that everyone buying the Blu-ray has a 16x9 HDTV. They would either have to view it with bars on the sides or stretched and distorted across the screen.
Lady & the Tramp isn't 16:9, so modern viewers will have to view it with bars regardless of which version they're watching.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I really think a large percentage of the population has come to believe that once they've got their widescreen TV, they should be done with black bars forever.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I really think a large percentage of the population has come to believe that once they've got their widescreen TV, they should be done with black bars forever.

This is true. I read complaints about black bars in different forums all the time from people who just don't understand the concept of aspect ratios.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eric scott richard said:
Are the deleted scenes that are only on the digital copy available on the last dvd release? I don't want to get the 3 disc, but it is unfortunate that those bits are only available on that version.
What's this now? There's content exclusive to the digital download copy?

I read on another forum that there are two deleted scenes (one involves Lady and a sweater) that are only on the digital copy. I've decided to just go with the regular blu-ray. The blue cover matches the rest of my collection. Still, I wish everything was included on that one.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Powell&Pressburger said:
I like how Disney opens the film with the late 1980's/1990's Walt Disney Pictures logo and then the original Buena Vista Logo opening. This is how WB's should do their titles instead of replacing the logo with a brand new one! (deleting the original) 
Sounds a lot better than the hack job Disney did to the beginning of Toy Story on Blu. The new logo replaces the original, replacing the opening notes of the music as well, butchering the beginning of the film.

They replaced the RKO Bambi logo, although it retains the original music. I assume they will do the same with Cinderella. Both had their original RKO logos on vhs releases in the late 1990s.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
eric scott richard said:
I read on another forum that there are two deleted scenes (one involves Lady and a sweater) that are only on the digital copy. I've decided to just go with the regular blu-ray. The blue cover matches the rest of my collection. Still, I wish everything was included on that one.
That would be quite bizarre if there were additional material on the digital version only. Color me skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks