What's new

Lady and the Tramp (2019) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is a good thing they put "Gravity Falls" as a launch title that piqued my interest to try their service, because a terrible remake of "Lady and The Tramp" certainly wouldn't have attracted this Disney fan. And, yes, I know "Disney fan" might seem like a dichotomy in terms in describing me, since I have spent a good amount of time ragging on about the direction Disney is going under Bob Iger's leadership.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And I may have just hit the wall on these remakes. 20 years from now will they remake the remakes?

Maybe. The point of the remakes is to introduce a new generation to the story and characters, thereby keeping the property evergreen. If you expect new generations to go back to the original in, let's say, the year 2040, that's short sighted. (Yes, money is also the point. I know.)

This version will be someone's favorite version of the story and that is 100% valid.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Do you think people said in 1937 “Snow White? If they are making movies why can’t they make something original and not just re-hash all these old fairy tales everybody knows already?”

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I acknowledge that these live action remakes are profitable for Disney but 5 in one year? I really think that’s too much. They’re going to run out of films to remake and burn out their audience. This year alone has seen Dumbo, Aladdin, The Lion King, Maleficent II, and Lady and the Tramp.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I acknowledge that these live action remakes are profitable for Disney but 5 in one year? I really think that’s too much. They’re going to run out of films to remake and burn out their audience. This year alone has seen Dumbo, Aladdin, The Lion King, Maleficent II, and Lady and the Tramp.

Then you're in luck: next year is only Mulan. So then a whole new group of film goers can turn away from their original content and everyone can (again) scream that Disney can't make anything original or good. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Then you're in luck: next year is only Mulan. So then a whole new group of film goers can turn away from their original content and everyone can (again) scream that Disney can't make anything original or good. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Disney's definitely going to have a slower year next year, with only 1 live action film, only 2 Marvel films, and no Star Wars films. I know they have 2 Pixars on tap, and possibly 1 new Walt Disney Studios animated film. I don't think anyone will complain they aren't making anything original or good. They will be, it will simply be less.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think they have a single film on the schedule for January or February. After Rise of Skywalker, the next Disney theatrical release is Pixar's Onward on March 6.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think they have a single film on the schedule for January or February. After Rise of Skywalker, the next Disney theatrical release is Pixar's Onward on March 6.

Unless you count Fox, for which they are releasing a horror movie called Underwater in January. I only know this because I am extremely sensitive to jump scares, which the Underwater trailer contains multiple times, and I've had to suffer through it on the front of both Ad Astra and Ford v. Ferrari recently.

Disney's definitely going to have a slower year next year, with only 1 live action film, only 2 Marvel films, and no Star Wars films. I know they have 2 Pixars on tap, and possibly 1 new Walt Disney Studios animated film. I don't think anyone will complain they aren't making anything original or good. They will be, it will simply be less.

Unless I am forgetting something, next year's Disney slate consists of:

March - Onward (Pixar), Mulan
May - Black Widow (first Friday), Artemis Fowl (post-Memorial Day)
June - Soul (Pixar)
July - Jungle Cruise
August - The One and Only Ivan
November - The Eternals (first Friday), Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney Animation at Thanksgiving)

Cruella was intended for next Christmas but was pushed to Memorial Day 2021.

And I think that's it -- plus a variety of inherited Fox projects throughout the calendar year, only some of which I remember. (I used to look up the schedule on Box Office Mojo regularly but haven't bothered since, well, you know.) They haven't taken New Mutants off the calendar yet, so it's supposed to be in April, but I don't believe that will happen. There's also The Woman in the Window in May, the last film from the now-shuttered Fox 2000 division, which got delayed due to needing reshoots. The King's Man, which was supposed to be on Valentine's Day, just got bumped back to September and they still have a trailer running in front of Ford v. Ferrari that says February 14. Death on the Nile is also next year, I think in October. And of course, the big one for Fox that I am most excited to see next year is Spielberg's West Side Story which is on December 18.

Anyway, Disney proper does have a lighter slate and did burn through many of their biggest titles in one year. At one point I thought there was no way they would have Aladdin, Toy Story 4 and The Lion King in a three-month period, because I thought they would all cannibalize each other, but they stuck to those dates and all three still made a billion-plus. With the benefit of hindsight, I think they deliberately overloaded 2019 with big content because of Disney+. This is the first year where they weren't obligated to give Netflix a streaming window for their theatrical releases, and they knew Disney+ would be launching, and if they put all of these out in 2019 at once, they knew that all of them would end up on Disney+ at (or relatively near, say within the first six months or so after) launch. They obviously wanted to beef up the content arriving to the platform near the beginning in order to lure subscribers. We'll see next year if the inevitable year-over-year drop in their theatrical revenue is extreme enough that they regret this choice.

Also, of course, they were originally supposed to have three Marvel films in 2020. The fact that they don't is entirely their own fault due to the mess they created by firing James Gunn. I think it's fairly obvious that Guardians 3 was supposed to take the May slot, Black Widow was supposed to go in July (a slot they announced but vacated), and Eternals always was supposed to go in November where it is. Then, when Guardians fell apart, they decided that keeping their traditional summer launch slot was more important than keeping July, so Black Widow got moved up a couple months. Then Disney shuffled Jungle Cruise (which was originally supposed to open this year) to July next year to compensate, although Jungle Cruise is opening a bit later in the month than Black Widow would have and will not be a one-to-one substitute for Guardians 3 in terms of its gross potential.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I hope you're right, I really do. When the box office grosses are lower because these are a lot of new IP's, someone will start screaming that Disney can't make money anymore and their new property sucks. When, in reality, how do you compete (from 2019) with Endgame, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Aladdin, Frozen II and Rise of Skywalker? The answer is you can't compete with that every single year.

There will be complaints. I'll bet good money on that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When, in reality, how do you compete (from 2019) with Endgame, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Aladdin, Frozen II and Rise of Skywalker? The answer is you can't compete with that every single year.

I think you're right, but I don't think Disney cares. That's why I would have spread out those films (especially the remakes) more than they did, but Disney chose to load this year with high-profile titles in order to load Disney+ with high-profile titles close to its launch.

Disney knows they will be down year-to-year.

But they've been in this situation before. They also knew that The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-lifetime event reuniting the cast of the original trilogy 32 years later. They knew The Last Jedi wouldn't make as much money, and it didn't, but it still did extremely well. Haters like to point to its lower gross as a sign of its presumed failure, but it met the expectations Disney had for it.

The question is: do they have the goods next year to do well by normal standards instead of by exponentially high 2019 standards? The Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Animation brands are strong enough to launch new things successfully and have done so many times, so I don't anticipate those being problem spots. (And in the case of Black Widow isn't really exactly a new thing, even though it's not a sequel either.) They probably won't reach the heights of this year's titles, but I don't think that means there's cause for alarm.

I think the biggest question marks next year are the Disney-branded live-action titles, which could go either way. We'll see what happens. Mulan is the biggest title they have, but it appears to be much more different from the animated version than the others of its ilk. It will be interesting to see how that impacts response to it. Artemis Fowl smells like a dud. Those books started coming out when I was in middle school. I'm 31 now, and I'm not sure how big of a deal they are at this point. I read two of them when they were new and not since. Plus, the long-delayed movie gives off the air of being troubled. Jungle Cruise could go either way, but they've got The Rock, so that helps.

Oh, and speaking of their upcoming slate, I forgot that Disney is also releasing Spies in Disguise on Christmas. This is an inherited movie that Blue Sky (Fox's animation studio) was working on before the sale. They put out another trailer for it yesterday which I assume will be on Frozen and which reminded me that it existed, but every time I see something new from it, it looks worse than the last one. I think it's in line to tank in the wake of Star Wars. That Disney would put it out five days after they themselves put out its biggest competition doesn't particularly send a message of confidence in it.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think you're right, but I don't think Disney cares. That's why I would have spread out those films (especially the remakes) more than they did, but Disney chose to load this year with high-profile titles in order to load Disney+ with high-profile titles close to its launch.

Disney knows they will be down year-to-year.

But they've been in this situation before. They also knew that The Force Awakens was a once-in-a-lifetime event reuniting the cast of the original trilogy 32 years later. They knew The Last Jedi wouldn't make as much money, and it didn't, but it still did extremely well. Haters like to point to its lower gross as a sign of its presumed failure, but it met the expectations Disney had for it.

The question is: do they have the goods next year to do well by normal standards instead of by exponentially high 2019 standards? The Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Animation brands are strong enough to launch new things successfully and have done so many times, so I don't anticipate those being problem spots. (And in the case of Black Widow isn't really exactly a new thing, even though it's not a sequel either.) They probably won't reach the heights of this year's titles, but I don't think that means there's cause for alarm.

I think the biggest question marks next year are the Disney-branded live-action titles, which could go either way. We'll see what happens. Mulan is the biggest title they have, but it appears to be much more different from the animated version than the others of its ilk. It will be interesting to see how that impacts response to it. Artemis Fowl smells like a dud. Those books started coming out when I was in middle school. I'm 31 now, and I'm not sure how big of a deal they are at this point. I read two of them when they were new and not since. Plus, the long-delayed movie gives off the air of being troubled. Jungle Cruise could go either way, but they've got The Rock, so that helps.

Oh, and speaking of their upcoming slate, I forgot that Disney is also releasing Spies in Disguise on Christmas. This is an inherited movie that Blue Sky (Fox's animation studio) was working on before the sale. They put out another trailer for it yesterday which I assume will be on Frozen and which reminded me that it existed, but every time I see something new from it, it looks worse than the last one. I think it's in line to tank in the wake of Star Wars. That Disney would put it out five days after they themselves put out its biggest competition doesn't particularly send a message of confidence in it.

Without a doubt they know next year will be a down year. It's everyone else I think about, from the armchair prognosticators who scream "they didn't have as big a box office as 2019 so they're done!!!!!!" to the media types who will include "Disney BO down 56% from last year" in their headlines next year. :lol:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Truly the most boring piece of garbage that Disney have released this year. Truly woeful in every respect. Who was the brains behind remaking the classic animated film of 1955.?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Truly the most boring piece of garbage that Disney have released this year. Truly woeful in every respect. Who was the brains behind remaking the classic animated film of 1955.?

I can't even bring myself to watch it. It just looks like it descends into a terrible parody of the original. I hate the fact the classic scene of Lady and The Tramp sharing the meal at Tony's has been reduced to comical parody by other film makers and by Disney itself. I always thought that was a great scene in the movie and now it has been ruined by countless pricks who have depicted it as stupid and melodramatic in their films.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I can't even bring myself to watch it. It just looks like it descends into a terrible parody of the original. I hate the fact the classic scene of Lady and The Tramp sharing the meal at Tony's has been reduced to comical parody by other film makers and by Disney itself. I always thought that was a great scene in the movie and now it has been ruined by countless pricks who have depicted it as stupid and melodramatic in their films.

It's not a parody. It's a sincere re-make that has a different take on some of the characters. For instance, Jock is in the new version Jock(eline), and is well-voiced by Scottish actress Ashley Jenson. And then there are some characters from the original that are just gone, such as the Beaver (which is a loss, but I guess understandable). I confess it's pretty easy to make me laugh, but I did laugh several times while watching and hearing some of the comedy bits in this remake. Yeah, it's a lot less good than the original, which is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, but it's still an amusing and professionally made romp. I read somewhere that Disney spent about $60 million dollars on this movie, which as the equivalent of a direct-to-video TV movie is a lot of money. And clearly a lot of talents—set designers, costume designers, writers, actors, cgi talent, etc., etc., poured a lot of hard work into it.

The way I look at it, I'm spending about $4.75 a month for Disney+, and watching this is just getting my money's worth from that. My suggestion for those who have Disney+ is to consider trying it for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes you haven't been amused, then clearly it's not going to work for you at all, and you might as well turn it off. I guess anyone who hates all of the Disney remakes, from Dumbo to Beauty and the Beast and whatever else, should ignore it. But if you've liked even some of these remakes (even if admittedly all are less good than the originals) you might want to give it a shot. After all, you've paid for it already.

For me, the Mandalorian alone is worth my monthly subscription price, and everything else—The Imagineering Story, Lady and the Tramp 2019, the animated shorts, as well as the rest of the library, is just a really nice bonus for me. I feel I'm easily getting twice what I'm paying for with Disney+, and in three years I'm pretty sure they'll begin charging me something along those lines, which I will happily pay.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It's not a parody. It's a sincere re-make that has a different take on some of the characters. For instance, Jock is in the new version Jock(eline), and is well-voiced by Scottish actress Ashley Jenson. And then there are some characters from the original that are just gone, such as the Beaver (which is a loss, but I guess understandable). I confess it's pretty easy to make me laugh, but I did laugh several times while watching and hearing some of the comedy bits in this remake. Yeah, it's a lot less good than the original, which is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, but it's still an amusing and professionally made romp. I read somewhere that Disney spent about $60 million dollars on this movie, which as the equivalent of a direct-to-video TV movie is a lot of money. And clearly a lot of talents—set designers, costume designers, writers, actors, cgi talent, etc., etc., poured a lot of hard work into it.

The way I look at it, I'm spending about $4.75 a month for Disney+, and watching this is just getting my money's worth from that. My suggestion for those who have Disney+ is to consider trying it for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes you haven't been amused, then clearly it's not going to work for you at all, and you might as well turn it off. I guess anyone who hates all of the Disney remakes, from Dumbo to Beauty and the Beast and whatever else, should ignore it. But if you've liked even some of these remakes (even if admittedly all are less good than the originals) you might want to give it a shot. After all, you've paid for it already.

For me, the Mandalorian alone is worth my monthly subscription price, and everything else—The Imagineering Story, Lady and the Tramp 2019, the animated shorts, as well as the rest of the library, is just a really nice bonus for me. I feel I'm easily getting twice what I'm paying for with Disney+, and in three years I'm pretty sure they'll begin charging me something along those lines, which I will happily pay.

I won't be subscribing to Disney> watched the first 3 episodes of MANDALORIAN and I was bored to tears.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Let us not forget that MULAN is Disney's first ever war film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks