1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lady and the Tramp (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

[​IMG]
    Title: Lady and the Tramp

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Director: Charlie Bean

Cast: Tessa Thompson, Justin Theroux, Kiersey Clemons, Thomas Mann, Ashley Jensen, Benedict Wong, Janelle Monáe, Yvette Nicole Brown, Arturo Castro, Adrian Martinez, Sam Elliott

Release Date:

Runtime: 0

Plot: The love story between a pampered Cocker Spaniel named Lady and a streetwise mongrel named Tramp. Lady finds herself out on the street after her owners have a baby and is saved from a pack by Tramp, who tries to show her to live her life footloose and collar-free.

2. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Looks better than I expected!

Just go ahead and sign me up for Disney + already....

3. old mole

old mole Agent

George
    Forget about it. The original is perfect. Another blatant money grabbing ploy by Disney.

4. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    So, only as a streaming release... not in theaters this time?

Interesting approach.

5. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Yeah, I love the original and nothing will replace that. But having watched it dozens of times since c.1968, I'm ok with trying out a remake.

6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Justin Theroux voicing that mutt makes it seem like a lost episode of The Leftovers, where he drowns himself and wakes up on the limbo-side as a dog.

Josh Dial, Adam Lenhardt and TravisR like this.
  7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

When Disney bypasses the movie theaters and goes direct to video, that is said to be an indicator that a movie is likely to be ... wait for it ...

a real dog.

benbess likes this.
  8. Message #8 of 10 Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think that used to be the case with many of the direct-to-video sequels from the '90s and early 2000s, but I don't think that's necessarily the case here.

I think it's more likely that Disney wants premium exclusive content in order to help launch Disney+ successfully. And they probably also think there is an audience for this remake, but it might not be as wide as some of their others. Look at Dumbo, which made only $353 million worldwide on a reported budget of $170 million. That's more than likely a loss on Disney's balance sheet -- not an out-and-out disaster by any means, especially in Disney's banner year when they have so many other behemoths -- but it is way less than the billion-dollar trifecta of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. So combine the need for buzzy exclusives and the dip in box office for Dumbo, and it makes sense that they would try this one on streaming.

That being said, I have no real interest in seeing a remake of Lady and the Tramp so will probably skip this and stick to the original. I've had enough of watching Disney mess with my favorite films for this year. Also, something about putting CG facial features on real dogs just makes that trailer and poster look creepy to me.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Exactly. If this movie had been made two years earlier, it probably would have debuted in theaters. And if it had been made two years later, it probably would have debuted in theaters.

At this particular moment, it's about feeding Disney+ as much original content as possible.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

:rolleyes: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: