Ladies and Gentlemen...the BEATLES!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Mortensen, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Being born in 1964, I missed the Beatles stop here in Kansas City by a few weeks...doubt I would've remembered it[​IMG] anyways!
    But last night at KC's OcktoberFest we were treated to LIVERPOOL, a Beatles tribute band. They sounded great and had three costume changes during their two hour set. Their stage was flanked by two large video screens that showed old Beatle concerts, interviews, and TV commericials from the 60's and 70's. It was a blast!
    I have never been a true Beatles fan...but enjoy the music. My wife kept asking me before the show what songs they sang, I sang a few bars from some of the most popular tunes...and she would say "I know that one!" During the show I saw her sing along to most of the tunes...and I must admit I knew words to all the songs except two.
    I do not have a single Beatles CD in my collection, so I am turning to you audiofiles for some suggestions?
    What is the "MUST HAVE" Beatles album? I would like it in CD form with the best audio format.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

The White Album is my choice but the list is endless. Some others to look at are Sgt. Peppers, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Let It Be... The list goes on and on.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    magical mystery tour is a great and underrated album. i'm not a huge fan of their very early stuff, but i love the rest of it. i'm referring to 'meet the beatles', its good, but i dont think its great. you can never go wrong with the white album.

CJ

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Get Rubber Soul and Revolver. George Harrison himself thought of these as one album on two records, and both are very strong albums.

-JNS

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darren, a few of my favorites are The Beatles (two-disc set aka "The White Album"), Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. However, I have all of their CDs and love them all. Since you don't have any Beatles in your collection, you might want to check out the 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 collections. Both are two-disc sets. They are easy to spot in record stores since 1962-1966 comes in a red jewel case and 1967-1970 comes in a blue jewel case. Finally, you might want to check out the compilation entitled 1, which is a collection of the Beatles number 1 hits. Many people have complained about the sound quality of this compilation, and I would say it is O.K. My suggestion is that you go with the two-disc compilations over 1.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Duplicate post.

7. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The most impressive Beatles tribute band I've seen was an outfit I saw back in 1987, called "1964." It was in a club just outside Nashville, Tennessee. The band, which even looked the part, took one of my requests, "I'm a Loser."

However, my favorite Beatles-like band that I have seen would be The Beatles, in 1966.

A Beatles fan must have:

• Revolver
    • With the Beatles
    • A Hard Day's Night
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Abbey Road

And those are the essentials. Truthfully, you need all the "official" Beatles albums issued by Parlophone Records. No way around it.

9. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

10. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I know Jack is going to be surprised that I am going to make a recommendation for a Beatles record, but for some reason in the past couple of months I have a new found love for them (Ringo still annoys me though [​IMG] ).
    Revolver, Rubber Soul, and The White Album are my favs. Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers would be my next favs. I am not a real big fan of the pre-drug stuff. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

11. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

My all-time favorite Beatles album is "Abbey Road". The second side of that album is amazing and must be heard as a whole.

If you're new to the Beatles thing, the 62-66 and 67-70 double albums are an easy way to pick up just about all the songs you are familiar with.

After "Abbey Road", it's a toss-up between "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "The White Album" and "Sgt. Pepper's". My favorite among those is whichever one I am listening to.

-Mike...

12. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Get the "Red" and "Blue" dated collection CDs. These contain most of the notable Beatles songs, and have the best sound quality of any Beatles CD release. All the songs sound better than the other releases.

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Rubber Soul is an absolute essential, IMO. This album marked the first album where all the songs were by members of the group. Up to this point, all of their albums contained a few cover songs. After RS, I would recommend Revolver, The White Album, and Abbey Road.

14. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    The problem with going the greatest hits route is that if you then decide to buy their actual albums (and what sane person wouldn't?), you'll have a lot of duplication.

However, there are two CDs consisting of singles and song versions not found on their albums: Past Masters volumes 1 and 2. The selection is excellent; lots of classics such as "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "I Feel Fine", "We Can Work it Out", "Hey Jude", "Lady Madonna" etc.

The songs cover all of their different eras so you can get an idea as to which of their regular CDs you'd want next.

15. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Alex thinks correctly. A Hard Day's Night is the first album featuring all-original compositions.

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

and the DVD just came out!

Pick up the #1 cd
    if you love that.... get them all

The bookends are a little weak (please Please Me & Let it Be) but not much else

18. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Revolver was just named the #1 album of all time by(I think) Rolling Stone.

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Revolver is my favorite Beatles album. Therefore, it is the best one.

How can you argue with that reasoning?

20. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor