What's new

Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you the Beast! (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
This is my new sub created by Acoustic-Visions.
Link Removed
Special thanks to Adire Audio for the Tempest Driver.
It's big. It's hairy and it's scary!!

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Looks nice, and I'm sure can be finished off with some nice finishes compared to having to bend around a tube.

After checking the link though, I'm curious if anyone here knows what might be patentable in this product, as the website claims the design is patent pending?

Martice

Screenwriter
I'm not sure what patents they have pending but I can tell you one thing, this sub actually man handled my room with brute force. I happen to own the 5' version of this beast and it really is something. I have the lap top and SPL meter ready for tomorrow to takesome measurments.

I have a cool matching Octagon shaped amp box that is finished the same as the sub and it sits right on the top of the sub without calling attention to it's self. It adds about 7 inches to the overall height of the beast. It's like having your very own "Yeti" in your house.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Hi Mark, how are you?
The shape is the patented part of the sub as all of the other items are items anybody can buy.
Yes, we will be offering them in whatever type of finish the customer wants (and can be applied) from wood veneer to material.
The 12" drivers will use a much smaller enclosure with much less hair :)
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Soory guy's I don't like the look although I'm sure it will appeal to many.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Sub looks nice, although I'm not so sure about being able to patent the shape of a cabinet, although crazier things have happened.

Here at Stryke, I did a sub the same shape about a year ago, but mine was horizontal, not vertical. My purpose was to be able to get the woofer at one end, and a passive radiator at the other end.

I actually started with a 16" diameter sonotube 25" long. This gives just under 3 cubic feet of air space. I then made a circular disc that fit into the tube, and an octagon shaped end cap attached to that circular disc that overhangs the end of the tube. Then 8 sides are cut that attach to the end caps. The middle of the sides is also attached to the sonotube itself. I then filled the remaining space between the sonotube and the 8 sides with expanding foam. It made a very dead enclosure, and was still fairly light. A 12" woofer goes in the font end, and a 15" PR went on the back. The bottom then has a larger width piece attached to act as a base so it won't get knocked over or roll over as easily. You could also put a larger top on it and use it as an end table as well.

It was an interesting look, but i didn't think too many people would be interested. I never did put any veneer on it, and sold it to a friend who put cheap automotive carpet around it.

I do plan to rework the design a little in the near future and see if there is any interest. My first thought was to use a larger diameter tube, and a little shorter. Most likely a 20" diameter tube 20" long. This gives a little over 3.5 cubic ft. It will also make the 8 sides a little over 11" wide each. This would allow room for the woofer on front, PR on back, and an amp mounted on the side. Or of course the same can be done with a vented enclosure instead of the PR, and the amp mounted on the back.

Just some thoughts for anyone looking for a new DIY idea.

John

PeteG

Agent
Kyle- If your using 3/4" MDF with bracing through out,

how much do these subs weigh.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
This one will be weighed in about a day or two but should be around 150 lbs. Obviously, the units using a 12" driver will weigh a lot less.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

Martice

Screenwriter
I weighed the Octosub last night and the sub is 110lbs. That's just 20lbs more than one of my PSB Goldi speakers. All together with the identical plate amp box on top it weighs 130lbs. I was able to walk the sub onto a postal scale that I borrowed from my job a lot easier than I expected. I will write of this experience as well as my listening impressions soon. I am waiting on having the bass boost disabled on my plate amp before I take any max level measurments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks