What's new

Ladies and Gentleman, The Castlevania Legacy continues...Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I would like to hear some of the old GREAT classic Castlevania music in the new one.
Kind of like how we got the Zelda song in the intro of WW

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
sorry to bouble post, but isn't this due out TODAY???
Though people would be talking about it already

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I guess we should make this the OFFICIAL thread:)
I'm having alot of fun with this game.
The muisc and graphics are top notch.
Music is WAY WAY better this time around, as it gives you a real sense of the surroundings.
So far, I've acquirred the souls of the 'skeleton'(throwing bones) & 'winged skeleton'(throwing spears)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Beat the game this morning. 93% Mansion completion and 44% soul completion. I have a save right before the last battle so I can continue running through the nooks and crannies and work on getting more souls. Completion time for the game was 5 hours and 32 minutes. A tad short but no shorter than Metroid Fusion and honestly I just couldn't put this game down (and Ill add this IMO this is a better game than Harmony and Metroid Fusion).
This is the best Castlevania title since Symphony IMO. The graphics are gorgeus (right up there with HOD) and the music is Circle of the Moon caliber (though no familiar Castlevania themes unfortunately:frowning:). Soma animates almost as fluidly as Alucard at times. Its amazing to see how much musle they squeezed out of the GBA to create such wonderful animations (they put HOD to shame at times). The soul system is really neat and is perfectly implemented. You really get excited when you get a new soul just because you want to see what other power you just got to wreak more havoc. This is also the first Castlevania with a decent story. Most of the time the story sequences are pretty much throwaway dribble that just interferes with the action but there are some interesting characters about.
The difficulty has also been adjusted. The game is not anywhere near as easy as HD but no where near as hard as Circle of the Moon. A nice balance was struck. The boss battles are not terribly difficult but some of the regular enemies swarm you and attack to the point where you will die every now again.
A+ game. No doubt about it. Best Castlevania game on the GBA, hell one of the best games on the GBA period.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I missed out on HoD and never finished all of CotM, I'll probably get this seeing as how it's got great reviews (and it's short, I like that).

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Picked it up today...
Since my GBA SP is the first GB I've owned since the original, its been packed to the gills with games I need to beat - Castlevania HoD, CotM, Link, Wario, Ghouls n Ghosts, etc. So I said I wasn't going to pick Castlevania Aria of Sorrow until the summer.

Then this week came around, and I've been doing nothing but history papers (history major + 4 history classes = 3 papers due this week, Tues, Weds, and Thurs.) so I said screw it, I'm picking up the new Castlevania.

Well, this is the most compelling game I've played in a while. I threw it in this morning and ended up playing for and hour and a half without even knowing it.

The soul system is pretty kickass. Know in CotM and HoD when you'd get far in the game, and just start running through rooms without killing enemies, trying to go somewhere specific quickly? Well, the soul system fixes that (at least for me) - makes you wanna keep killing enemies until you get their soul (and despite my best efforts this morning, I couldn't get a fleaman soul...)

The bullet souls are an interesting new way of doing the secondary weapon thats so characteristic of Castlevania.

The blue souls provide the magic, though they're few and far between so far for me.

The yellow souls do all kinds of stuff, and some of them are really creative - like jumping while taking damage restores health - though I can't do it yet.

The game seems to hit a good balance between CotM and HoD, and its easily the best and most well rounded of the group.

Anyway, gotta get back to paper writing (and probably Aria of Sorrow, too). More later, if I get this work done...

JQ

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Romier S,

Are you going back, the second time around with
Julius
It's not really a second time around. More like a race to get to Dracula, then beating Drac with Julius

Users who are viewing this thread