What's new

Lacuna Coil-Karma Code (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
What an awesome album. Every bit the equal of Coma Lies, maybe even better. Any other Coil fans on here?

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Yes it was released this Tues. Head to the nearest Best Buy. It's on sale for $8.99. If you like Coma Lies you'll like Karma Code. You should also check out Unleashed Memories, lots of great songs.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm a big fan, and I love "Karmacode." This band could be huge. Cristina Scabbia has been "hard music's" poster girl for quite some time now, and for good reason.

I especially love the first three tracks, even if they sound almost like three versions of the same song, and I 'm impressed by the cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" as well.

I'd be listening to this album nonstop if I got off my lazy ass and ripped it to my iPod...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, I saw it at Tower yesterday. Course, they are selling it at full price, so I didn't pick it up.

Going to be a busy month for me with music. New Queensryche, new Flower Kings, new Lacuna Coil, and in a couple of weeks, new The Gathering.

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Disgruntled old LC fan here. :)

I bought their original EP that came out way back in 1998. The Gathering (A MUST for anyone who likes LC IMO) had gotten me into the whole goth-like female fronted metal sound. The S/T EP and first full release In A Reverie remain their best in my opinion. Not that the next releases were bad, but they just seem to be treading water. Seemed like there was more of an adventurous spirit and passion back in the earlier days.

I have to think that they are being pushed to be the " next Evanescence", which drives me nuts considering they've been around longer, albeit underground and in Europe.

For those of you who have never heard them, I'd have to suggest starting with the S/T EP and In A Reverie. If you start with the new record and like it a lot, hopefully you'll get into the earlier stuff even more.

Again none of it is bad per se. Maybe it's just that I was exposed to them at the beginning.

Also, check out Within Temptation if you like this band. When I first heard Enter in 1998 there was not much like it out at the time. Their latest one The Silent Force is great as well, but it did come out in the post-Evanescence music scene, and seems a bit influenced by that. Enter has a raw vibe to it that I still love.

Earlier Theatre Of Tragedy would be another band in a similar vein, although they kind of went techno-metal on the last few releases, which was not bad IMO. The only possible negative aspect of their first few records (S/T, Velvet Darkness They Fear) is that they actually wrote and sang their songs in a very "Shakespearian" manner. Aegis and the more techno Assembly are my favorites there. The singer's latest project is called Leaves' Eyes which would also be worth checking out if you are really into the whole beauty and the beast sound.

Nightwish is also good but much more neo-classical and operatic.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I have all thier albums also. Great stuff. For me the older stuff is good but they really took off with Unleashed Memories.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I still think The Silent Force is the best album of their's so far. One of my favorites of last year. Mother Earth is a pretty good album as well.

After Forever is another band I highly recommend. Floor Jansen is probably one of the best vocalists out there. Decipher, their second album, is probably their best.

After that album, guitarist songwriter and growler Mark Jansen left the band and formed Epica, who now has two albums. It is pretty decent stuff.

The Gathering is one of my favorites. The early albums were pretty much death metal. Starting with Mandylion, Annke took over as vocallist. The first two albums are pretty heavy and rocking. After that, they lost one of their guitarists and became a bit more atmospheric.

There are plenty of other bands out there to check out, but this is a good start.

Jason

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
It's because of this very forum that I discovered bands like Epica, Within Temptation, and After Forever(is it just me, or is Floor Jansen a "big" girl? I don't mean fat or full-figured, she's very well proportioned, but she looks downright Amazonian in their "My Choice" video.

I like Nightwish, too, but they veer dangerously close to "Meat Loaf meets Andrew Lloyd Webber" territory at times. Leaves Eyes is the next female-fronted metal band I need to check out.

As for The Gathering, their Dead Can Dance cover of "In Power We Trust the Love Advocated" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

I'm still loving "Karmacode"...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Without Face is an excellent goth/ prog metal group from Hungary with mixed female and growly ("Beauty & The Beast," as they say) vocals. Their album Astronomicon is HIGHLY recommended.

I like Edenbridge, another female-fronted metal group (from Austria) a lot too, but they're more pure power metal than goth. Their second album, Arcana, is awesome.

Jim Steinman eats Andrew Lloyd Webber for lunch! (Even after "Dance of the Vampires!")

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Edenbridge never impressed me either. I own their first two albums.

Not really gothic, but good if you like the vocallists is Beto Vasquez Infinity. It features Tarja from Nightwish, Candace Night from Blackmore's Night and Sabine Edelsbacher from Edenbridge. It is good stuff.

Also, Epica is touring this fall, and will make an appearance at ProgPower USA. www.progpowerusa.com

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

This should explain things:

http://www.nightwish.com/en/article/6

The short of it is, the band felt like she was copping an attitude, didn't act like a member of the band, and didn't like the influence her husband had on her. The screwed up part of it is that they basically dumped this on her after their big concert shoot. (Ironically called "End Of An Era")

Her response was basically confusion. It sounded like it came from left field.

As I said, it is going to be interesting to see how Nightwish does after this. She was pretty much the face of the band, even if Tuomas was the main songwriter.

Makes me glad I got to see them at ProgPower a couple of years ago.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Floor's younger sister. Sang backup with Floor on the Star One tour, and was one of the singers on Ayreon - The Human Equation. Was in a band called Karma, but she isn't in it anymore.

More info on Star One and Ayreon: www.ayreon.com

Definitly has talent, like her sister, but much less refined.

Jason

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just picked up Karmacode thanks to a tip over at the Polk Audio forum, this is some great stuff. I'm going back to get more.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have 3 of their albums, and though many say their older stuff is better, I found that I really like this album the best so far; easily the most mature. I do like the older stuff too though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks