What's new

Lack of Surround Back Power (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
My 7.1 setup is based around a Harman Kardon AVR 525. Try as I might, I can't seem to get sufficient sound from the surround backs. To establish sound levels I'm using the HK Remote Control SPL utility.

LP

David Judah

Screenwriter
Are you talking about from true 6.1 DVDs or all the time(like even with psuedo-6.1 where it's deriving the surround back information)?

Placement issues and the source could effect the results. How do you have the speakers set-up relative to your main listening position? Remebember those speakers aren't supposed to be continually active for DVDs.

If everything else is in order, however, you could always boost the levels to taste.

DJ

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You might try using one of the Radio Shack analogue spl meters, they cost less than $40.

I've used 3 different "7.1" receivers and used both their self calibration and the meter for the back surrounds. The self calibration actually was very accurate, btw.

What I've found in actual use is that even with the back surround levels properly calibrated there aren't many dvds, even DTS 6.1 discrete ones, in which the back surround channels are used in such a way that the sound can clearly be localized to those channels. Even those few that do have sound distinctly coming from those channels only have the effect in a few scenes and very briefly. The Haunting, the LOTR films, Gladiator, and Open Water use them a bit more than most other 6.1 mixes, haven't tried the new Top Gun SE yet.

Rob F

Auditioning
i have the h/k 320 that has the option for 7.1 also.
for mine i have a seperate 100watt 2 channel amp power them.
i dont know if you have a seperate amp but i think you need one to run the speakers.

That will also make them louder and more noticable

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks