What's new

Lack of HD programming (1 Viewer)

Dan_Goodrum

Auditioning
After a lot of research on the internet, I purchased a Toshiba 57HX81, a new Yamaha receiver (RX-1000) and a Pioneer Elite CV-36 DVD/CD player.

I also bought a Bose Acoustimass 15 speaker system. I know what a lot of people in this forum feel about Bose speakers, but it fits my needs and I was able to get the system for a very good price.

I live in a rural area and we have excellent cable signals via AT&T Broadband, but of course, no HD signals are available on cable yet. I am unable to receive airborne HD signals.

I also realize that some HD programming is available on the satellite feeds, but not much.

Through the use of progressive scan capability, I DO get an excellent picture from the DVD to the TV, but I understand that true HD is better.

I guess I am about two years too early to take advantage of the capabilities of my new system. In the meantime, I will enjoy standard programming on my new TV.

I would have to say that a large rear projection picture of a standard TV program is not quite as good as a CRT picture due to some pixelization, but the screen size is really nice and I am already used to occasional pixelization.

I just hope that the cable and satellite providers hurry up with more HD programming.

Dan_Goodrum

Auditioning
Kevin,

I don't have satellite programming and I was basing my opinion on visiting the DishTV and DirectTV sites. It was my impression that the HD channels were HBO, Showtime and some PPV channels.

I guess I was referring to having the satellite provide HD for evening network programming (CBS,NBC,ABC). I'm sorry I didn't clarify what I was thinking.

BTW, which HD channels can you get via Satellite?

Thanks.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Dan:

Do some research on Comcast, as I'm under the impression they do HD on cable (I'm not on their system). If you haven't heard, Comcast won the bid for T broadband.

You don't indicate your location, so let me say that a HD-CBS feed is available on Dishnetwork depending on your

local OTA affiliate. Also, Dishnetwork has won the bid for Direct TV, so expect more HD down the road.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Here is what I get.
Dish
HDPPV: All movies are 1080I and OAR. Alot are DD 5.1 too.
HDSHO: 1080I 5.1 OAR
HDHBO: 1080I 5.1 some OAR some not.
CBSHD: Most of the primetime shows are 1080I no DD 5.1 yet.
HD DEMO channel: Some very breathtaking HD video on here. They change the loop every once and a while.
DirecTV
HDNET: This is the most exciting HD channel out there. 1080I all the time 16 hours a day. Here is their website.
I will be watching new years festivities tonight in HD and the Tournament of Roses Parade tomorrow.
http://www.hd.net

Dan_K

Grip
Please also note that the major networks (ABC, CBS & NBC) are offering much of their primetime lineup in HDTV. Hopefully your local affiliate will offer it in your area soon. These may not be offered on satellite yet, but with OTA it extends your programming selections.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
I live in rural Minnesota, far from any OTA HD broadcasts but I requested a waiver from Dish to get the CBS West HD channel and after 6 weeks it got approved so I can get primetime HD stuff now and I am grateful for the little that I do get.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I have HDTV .. the guys are bringing my TV tomorow and installing the big dish tomorow. What channels will I get? If I tune to CSI on the regular CBS channel.. will I see it in HDTV just becuase I have the new dish?

I'm a bit confused by how the whole thing works.

thanks!

Jim

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jim,

You will get HD-Net and HBO-HD (if you subscribe to HBO) over satellite. Since you don't list your location, I'm not sure what you will get OTA.

If I tune to CSI on the regular CBS channel.. will I see it in HDTV just becuase I have the new dish?
When you regular channel, I am assuming the old analog channel. You will not get HD that way. Your locals may be broadcasting digitally on another channel. Your new HD satellite receiver has an ATSC (digital) OTA tuner that will tune in these channels. Actually a dish isn't required for OTA, just the receiver.

-Robert

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ah ok.. I live in NJ so I'm assuming I'll get all the NY HD channels?
the install guy will be here tomorow (I wused out) and I have the dish and the multi-switch. Then I'll try the double bow myself with a seperate coax to the antenna on my receiver for the other channels.. still have no clue how I'm going to do that though.... i'm so clueless. ;)
thanks!
Jim

DanP

Agent
You might get a couple NYC digital channels but unfortunately a number of them went down on 9/11 because the transmitters were on the WTC. CBS is still broadcasting though because they are on Empire.

You also might look into getting the Philly stations I guess, but in any case you may end up needing something more than the bowtie.

You might check out the HD Hardware forum on AVSforum.com for more help on these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks