Labeling Cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm curious to see what others here use to label interconnects, speaker wire runs, etc? I used to use masking tape as a 'flag' but that gets ugly and cluttered after a while. Is there some sort of silver pen that I could use to write on the wires themselves? All pens like this that I've seen are not fine enough to write on wires.

Thanks for the input!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The masking tape won't last either. After a couple months you'll have a sloppy mess of adhesive goo.

I use a Canon labelmaker from Office Depot to make little flags. Works great looks a lot better than the masking tape that I used to use and doesn't leave a sloppy goo.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I also use a label maker, but I stick the labels on parallel to the cable. The labels have enough "stick" to not peel off, and it looks much cleaner than having a bunch of little flags .

4. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack makes good wire/cable labels that I've yet to have a problem with.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Brian beat me to the suggestion. [​IMG]
    The Wire Labels have a white place to write on, then a long piece of "Scotch Tape" that wraps over the label to protect the writing. This will protect the writing from fade/smudging.