La Meglio gioventu (The Best of Youth)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelPe, Dec 3, 2003.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Any news on an upcoming DVD release of this film (in any region)? I've seen it available from Italian etailers (R2), but it didn't contain English subtitles. I've also heard rumors that it will be released on DVD in France next April, so I might have to wait for that one.

I know that Miramax has bought this film for US distribution, but I'm hoping that they won't pull a "Kill Bill" on it and release it in 2-3 volumes. (Or worse, cut it down in length!)

I missed this film when it played during the Montreal World Film Festival, but I'm hoping to catch it on DVD... hopefully with English or French subtitles. If there's any news of a release, I'd love to know... Thanks!

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...well now... my question is: how was this "movie"(*) shown in Italy?... frankly, I can't see it NOT being cut into two parts if and when it ever comes to the USA...

(*)
    THE BEST OF YOUTH
    Dir. Marco Tullio Giordana, w/ Luigi Lo Cascio, Alessio Boni. 383 min.

In scope, The Best of Youth is impressive: this six-hour Italian drama spans nearly 40 years in the life of one family, and in doing so, channels half a century in the life of a nation. As a viewing experience, it is demanding -- director Marco Tullio Giordana is to be commended for his measured pacing and devotion to his characters, but the sheer volume of emotional and narrative information can be overwhelming. Still, as epics go, it's uncommonly intimate. Not for people with short attention spans or easily numbed posteriors, but a formidable logistical and aesthetic filmmaking achievement. AN

(from: eye weekly 09.04.03)

. . . [​IMG] . . .

3. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

I saw it in 2 parts at the Vancouver Film Festival. Id LOVE to own the R3 or R2 dvd. The really cool thing about this movie is that each part has an ending that works. I felt really satisfied after just watching Part 1.

Also , both parts have full opening and closing credits

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Just noticed on RT that it will have a limited theatrical release on July 2, 2004. I guess that by then there will be a DVD release available.