What's new

La-La Land Records releases BATMAN RETURNS, STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER, HOME ALONE and JADE Nov (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Note that Batman Returns, Star Trek V and Home Alone are expanded-to-complete score presentations. Jade is a premiere release.

HORNER, ELFMAN, GOLDSMITH AND WILLIAMS!

Presenting La-La Land’s FINAL FOUR!

These titles will be available for order November 30, 2010 at 1pm (PST) and will begin shipping the same day.

JADE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1146
Music by James Horner
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
SPECIAL LaLaLandRecords.com SALE PRICE: $14.98

Presenting the world premiere release of acclaimed composer James Horner’s (ALIENS, GLORY, TITANIC, AVATAR) score to the 1995 Paramount Pictures feature film JADE, starring David Caruso, Linda Fiorentino and Chazz Palminteri, directed by William Friedkin. Previously unavailable in any format, this release of Horner’s erotically charged, Asian-tinged score finally takes its place in his soundtrack canon of notable 1990’s works. 1995 proved to be an especially successful year for Mr. Horner, having released scores to such films as CASPER, BRAVEHEART, APOLLO 13, JUMANJI and BALTO. This release of JADE now fills the hole in one of his most important years as a composer!

Produced for La-La Land Records by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Mike Matessino from ½ inch Paramount vault materials, this release contains bonus tracks that include Loreena McKennitt’s “The Mystic’s Dream” and the classical piece “Le Sacre du Printemps,” both of which are featured in the film’s score. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Daniel Schweiger feature comments from the film’s director, William Friedkin. Art direction is by Mark Banning.

JADE

1. Main Title / The Murder Scene / Drive to the Airport (3:59)
2. Walk To The Governor's Office /
Katrina Gets Matt's Flowers* (2:07)
3. Flight to Pacifica / Walk Into Chinatown / Chinese Opera Chase (2:38)
4. Car Flip / Second Trip To Pacifica (2:50)
5. Matt Gets Turned On* (4:45)
6. Stalking Patrice* (3:59)
7. Pier Pressure / Governor's Boy Visits (1:40)
8. Home Video #2 (2:57)
9. Piece Of The Puzzle / Katrina In Park House* (1:58)
10. Hargrove Dies / Final Surveillance** (2:10)

BONUS TRACKS

11. Chinese Parade Sequence (Traditional) (4:37)
12. Purple Bamboo (Traditional) (3:36)
13. Step By Step Up (Traditional) (2:47)
14. Le Sacre du Printemps (3:35)
Excerpt from Le Sacre du Printemps, Seconde Partie: Le Sacrifice : Action Rituelle des Ancêtres
Composed by Igor Stravinsky
Performed by The London Philharmonic Orchestra/Kent Nagano
15. The Mystic's Dream (7:43)
Written and Performed by Loreena McKennitt
* - different versions contained in film
** - not contained in film

Total Score Time: 26:46
Total Disc Time: 51:19

BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1153
Music by Danny Elfman
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land’s Expanded Archival Collection returns to Gotham for this 2CD remastered and expanded presentation of Danny Elfman’s magnificent score to the 1992 Warner Bros. motion picture blockbuster BATMAN RETURNS, starring Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito, directed by Tim Burton. Composer Elfman (BATMAN, MARS ATTACKS, WANTED, ALICE IN WONDERLAND) revisits his iconic theme and expertly weaves it into a sumptuous musical experience, bringing to life the film’s breathtaking action and rich emotional and psychological underpinnings. Produced by Neil S. Bulk, Dan Goldwasser and MV Gerhard and mastered by James Nelson from Shawn Murphy’s first generation three-track digital mixes, this limited edition release features more than 30 minutes of previously unreleased music, including alternate cues. The in-depth, exclusive liner notes are by John Takis and the art direction is by David C. Fein. This release is limited to 3500 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc One: Total Time: 68:08

1. Birth of a Penguin/Main Title (5:38)
2. Penguin Spies* (1:09)
3. Shadow of Doom*/Clown Attack*/Introducing the Bat** (5:01)
4. Intro*/The Zoo**/The Lair (6:00)
5. Caught in the Act*/Uh-Oh Max* (1:58)
6. Kitty Party*/Selina Transforms** (5:30)
7. Penguin’s Grand Deed* (1:50)
8. The List Begins* (:45)
9. The Cemetery (2:56)
10. Catwoman Saves Joan*/The New Woman* (2:03)
11. Penguin’s Surprise (1:43)
12. Bad, Bad Dog**/Batman vs. Circus/Selina’s Shopping Spree** (5:42)
13. Cat Chase** (2:12)
14. Candidate Cobblepot* (:58)
15. The Plan*/Kidnapping* (2:32)
16. Sore Spots/Batman’s Closet* (3:22)
17. The Plot Unfolds* (1:15)
18. Roof Top Encounters** (4:49)
19. Batman’s Wild Ride** (4:19)
20. Fall From Grace** (4:17)
21. Revealed*/Party Crasher* (3:18)

Disc Two: Total Time: 71:27

1. Umbrella Source/The Children’s Hour/War** (7:53)
2. Final Confrontation**/Finale (9:15)
3. A Shadow of Doubt**/End Credits** (6:15)
4. Face to Face (4:18)
- performed by Siouxsie and the Banshees

ALTERNATE AND ALBUM CUES:

5. The Zoo (alternate)** (1:00)
6. The List Begins (alternate)* (:45)
7. Cat Chase (alternate ending)** (2:13)
8. Roof Top Encounters (original)** (4:49)
9. Fall From Grace (alternate ending)** (4:17)
10. The Lair, Part I (:57)
11. The Lair, Part II (4:51)
12. Selina Transforms, Part I (1:12)
13. Selina Transforms, Part II (4:15)
14. Batman vs. The Circus (2:35)
15. Cat Suite (5:43)
16. A Shadow of Doubt (alternate)**/End Credits (alternate) (7:02)

BONUS TRACK:

17. Super Freak* (3:23)
- composed by Rick James and Alonzo Miller
* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material

Album Total Running Time: 139:35

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)
LLLCD 1157
Music by Jerry Goldsmith
Limited Edition of 5000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land Records, in association with Sony Music and Paramount Pictures, presents the expanded 2CD-SET of Jerry Goldsmith’s (PATTON, THE OMEN, FIRST KNIGHT, THE EDGE) rousing orchestral score to the 1989 Paramount Pictures motion picture STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER, starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly, directed by William Shatner. Produced for La-La Land Records by Lukas Kendall, Mike Matessino, and Didier C. Deutsch, supervised by Bruce Botnick and Ken Hall, and mastered by Vic Anesini at Battery Studios, this comprehensive presentation of Goldsmith’s score features more than 45 minutes of previously unreleased music, including alternate cues. The original 1989 soundtrack release is also included here. In-depth, exclusive liner notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall take you behind the movie and its music. Bruce Botnick also contributes exclusive comments. Art direction is by Mark Banning. This is a limited edition of 5000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc ONE - The Film Score

1. Nimbus III 2:01
2. The Mind-Meld 2:43
3. The Mountain [Main Title]* 4:53
4. The Big Drop 0:26
5. Raid on Paradise 2:43
6. Not Alone 1:11
7. Target Practice 1:52
8. A Tall Ship 1:43
9. Plot Course 1:46
10. No Harm 2:13
11. Approaching Nimbus III 2:59
12. Open the Gates 3:01
13. Well Done 1:16
14. Without Help 4:55
15. Pick It Up 2:31
16. No Authority 0:30
17. It Exists 1:47
18. Free Minds 3:18
19. The Birth 3:53
20. The Barrier* 2:52
21. A Busy Man 4:41
22. An Angry God 6:57
23. Let’s Get Out of Here [part 1] 3:42
24. Let’s Get Out of Here [part 2] 3:07
25. Cosmic Thoughts 1:16
26. Life Is a Dream [End Credits]* 3:57
Total Disc Time: 73:07

Disc TWO - The 1989 Soundtrack Album

1. The Mountain* 3:50
2. The Barrier* 2:51
3. Without Help 4:18
4. A Busy Man 4:40
5. Open the Gates 3:00
6. An Angry God 6:55
7. Let’s Get Out of Here 5:13
8. Free Minds 3:17
9. Life Is a Dream* 3:57
10. The Moon’s a Window to Heaven † 4:00
Total Time: 42:22

Additional Music
11. The Mountain [Main Title] (alternate)* 4:45
12. A Busy Man (alternate) 4:42
13. Paradise Saloon (source) 2:42
14. The Moon’s a Window to Heaven
(film version) 1:10
15. Vulcan Song/
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
(Instrumental source) 1:33
16. Synclavier Effects 1:54
Total Time: 16:46

Total Disc Time: 59:28
Total Two-Disc Time: 131:51

Music Published by Sony/ATV Melody BMI
* Contains “Theme From Star?Trek (TV?Series)”
Composed by Alexander Courage
Published by Bruin Music Company BMI
† Performed and Arranged by Hiroshima
Produced by Dan Kuramoto

HOME ALONE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1158
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

Presenting the remastered and expanded release of renowned composer John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, 1941) orchestral score to the 1990 holiday classic 20th Century Fox feature film HOME ALONE, starring Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern and Catherine O’Hara, written and produced by John Hughes and directed by Chris Columbus. Produced by Nick Redman, Mike Matessino and Didier C. Deutsch, through arrangement with Sony Music and 20th Century Fox, and remastered by Mark G. Wilder and Maria Triana at Battery Studios, this expanded release arrives just in time for the film’s 20th Anniversary and features more than 20 minutes of previously unreleased music, including bonus tracks. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Mike Matessino take you behind-the-scenes of one of filmdom’s most indelible holiday scores. This release is limited to 3500 Units. Art direction is by Jim Titus (UNSTOPPABLE, HUMAN TARGET).

A note to completists: The recordings of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Please Come Home For Christmas" and "White Christmas" which are included on the 1990 soundtrack album for HOME ALONE were not licensed for this release.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Somewhere in My Memory † 3:24
(Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra
2. Star of Bethlehem
[Orchestral Version] 2:54
3. Home Alone (Main Theme) 1:27
4. Go Pack Your Suitcase/ Introducing
Marley/In Good Hands * 1:51
5. Banished to the Attic 1:07
6. We Slept In/Hard Count * 1:20
7. Making the Plane :54
8. The Basement 2:18
9. Target Practice/Sledding
on the Stairs ** 1:31
10. Lights On/Guess Who’s Home/
Paris Arrival * 3:18
11. The Man of the House/
Police Check ** 1:22
12. The Bookshelf 1:10
13. Phone Machine/Drug Store/
Escape Across the Ice ** 3:06
14. Follow That Kid! 2:12
15. Listening to Carson * :44
16. Cleaning Clothes/Kitchen * 1:39
17. Scammed by a Kindergartner 2:10
18. Walking Home (Somewhere in My Memory) † 1:06
19. O Holy Night 2:51
(Composer: Adolphe Adam) (Translation of
Lyrics: John S. Dwight) Chorus & Orchestra
Arranged by John Williams. Published by
Fox Film Music Corp. (BMI) *
20. Star of Bethlehem † 3:00
(Lyrics: Leslie Bricusse) with Children’s Chorus
21. Carol of the Bells 1:27
(Translation of Lyrics: Peter Wilhousky)
Chorus & Orchestra
22. Setting the Trap 2:31
23. The Attack Begins 1:30
24. Marv Enters the Basement/
A Hot Hand/Sore Head * † 2:50
25. Paint Cans 2:06
26. Clothesline Trapeze /
Marley to the Rescue ** 4:13
27. The Next Morning/
Mom Returns/Finale 4:26
28. We Wish You a Merry Christmas/
End Title (Somewhere in My Memory) † 4:19

Additional Music
29. Walking Home [Without Chorus] 1:05
30. Clothesline Trapeze
[Film Version Insert] * :23
31. Jingle Bells * 1:02
32. Christmas Carol Medley * 7:43
33. Finale [Alternate – O Holy Night] * 1:34
34. We Wish You a Merry Christmas/
End Title (Somewhere in My Memory) †
[Original Soundtrack Version] 4:15
(Lyrics: Traditional/Leslie Bricusse) Chorus & Orchestra

total disc time: 78:48

* Previously Unreleased ** Contains Previously
Unreleased Material † Published by Fox Film Music Corp.
and John Hughes Songs (BMI)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Some Holiday-themed, Sci-Fi Circus Erotica.

That's pretty disgusting...or not depending on what floats one's boat....

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I was expecting Batman Returns, but Star Trek V is a complete surprise, and I must have it! I'm pretty much tapped out right now, but I'm busting open the piggy bank and checking under the sofa cushions for lost change so that I can order it as soon as it's available Tuesday. This has been a very expensive year for those of us who love Star Trek music.

- Mark

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Tuesday is going to be expensive. As a lifelong Horner fan, Jade is a must. I have been accumulating several John Williams scores that I did not already own recently (and rediscovering some wonderful Williams scores that I don't spin that often, like Hook). Anything Star Trek as an automatic must-have for me, and the Batman Returns' score is one of my favourite Elfman scores. So, yeah, Tuesday is going to be expensive! How wonderful!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad BATMAN RETURNS is getting the same treatment as the first film (though in this case the elements will not have any quality issues at all so it should be flawless) but I'm not going for it simply because it's a score I don't really enjoy on album apart from the film, instead only within the film.

JADE...being one of Horner's biggest fans in existence and actually liking the bit of music that made it into the film (a film I don't have a problem with unlike most, but hey I happen to like David Caruso) I've been craving this ever since it was hinted at months ago.

It's a very unusual score because of the rumors surrounding its production:

-while director William "Hurricane Billy" Friedkin wanted Horner to score this film, an odd choice considering his 1994 / 1995 output consisting of children's fare like "Casper", "The Pagemaster", Balto" and of course epics like "Legends of the Fall", "Braveheart" and "Apollo 13", Horner decided to have a bit of fun at Paramount's expense, requesting an intentionally ridiculous amount of money ($3 million dollars) thinking there's no way anyone would agree to it and Horner could simply walk away...except they did agree to it and he was stuck - rich but stuck.

-Friedkin and Horner were so at odds concerning the score that as a means of defiance Horner INTENTIONALLY wrote as bad (but functional) a score as he could just to piss the notoriously difficult director off. That one doesn't really seem likely because it's too unprofessional considering Horner's decades-long relationship with Paramount Pictures.

-The reason for there being under 30 minutes of score is because it was apparently designed to support the Lorena McKennitt song "The Mystic's Dream", while all the Stravinsky music was added to fill in the gaps of Horner's score Friedkin wanted replaced.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thanks Nicholas. I've been waiting to hear what was up with the BR score. I'll be ordering this tonight!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

I'm glad BATMAN RETURNS is getting the same treatment as the first film (though in this case the elements will not have any quality issues at all so it should be flawless) but I'm not going for it simply because it's a score I don't really enjoy on album apart from the film, instead only within the film.

Having loved the original Batman score album, I anxiously bought the original Batman Returns soundtrack the day it was released (June 23, 1992, three years to the day after Batman opened in theaters). I may have listened to that album all the way through twice, and one of those times was just before I started to work on this title earlier this year. The original album may work for some as a concept album and if it satisfies Danny Elfman, who am I to complain? And that album isn't going anywhere and I'm sure has sold way more than the 3,500 La-La Land will be releasing. All I can say, having heard the full score many times now, is it is a revelation. Musically, it tells a story and is engrossing and it captivates me in ways the original album (and film) never did. It's an instance where more is better and when heard in full from start to finish it's very compelling.

And for the record I prefer Elfman's original album for Batman over the score as heard in full.

Neil

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I ordered STAR TREK V, BATMAN RETURNS, HOME ALONE and threw in their LOST IN SPACE TV set for good measure. Man, I'm going to hate myself in the morning....

Had to pass on JADE though. I like a lot of Horner's work (mostly his earlier stuff), but I had to draw the line somewhere. I think I'll still have plenty to enjoy.

- Mark

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk

Having loved the original Batman score album, I anxiously bought the original Batman Returns soundtrack the day it was released (June 23, 1992, three years to the day after Batman opened in theaters). I may have listened to that album all the way through twice, and one of those times was just before I started to work on this title earlier this year. The original album may work for some as a concept album and if it satisfies Danny Elfman, who am I to complain? And that album isn't going anywhere and I'm sure has sold way more than the 3,500 La-La Land will be releasing. All I can say, having heard the full score many times now, is it is a revelation. Musically, it tells a story and is engrossing and it captivates me in ways the original album (and film) never did. It's an instance where more is better and when heard in full from start to finish it's very compelling.

And for the record I prefer Elfman's original album for Batman over the score as heard in full.

Neil

Definitely food for thought to consider, that's for sure. You highlighted precisely why releasing these complete / chronological score album presentations is such a great thing (and both you and the label can never truly be thanked enough for these, especially this year alone). The composer has written a story of their own through the use of music and these allow their stories to be told from start to finish in ways that sometimes the films themselves don't allow because of editorial changes and revisions. Yes, the album arrangement / assembly is certainly a valid presentation but i truly appreciate the time and effort to tell the story and see it through from true beginning to end.

My own preferences for enjoying scores apart from the films versus within the films varies quite a bit, since I do indeed love hearing the first BATMAN apart from the film just as much as within. For that album the reason I prefer the full score rather than the original album presentation is because ever since first listening to that original album, I knew there was just so much missing - in some cases little things like cues shortened for (I assume) run time reasons, and of course some of the instrumental / mixing differences so getting that full score and hearing it was essentially me saying "finally!" to all those moments I knew were missing for so long, having known them from the film itself. The issues people had with the sound were not my issues personally, since everything regarding the element conditions and original recording situations was explained in detail and was quite understandable not to expect some top-notch digital recording from the get-go. Also, I'd argue that the quality and enjoyment of the music trumps those issues anyway.

I think in the case of BATMAN RETURNS it was not only those missing moments (gotta love the Batman theme whenever it appeared and was largely omitted from the album versus the film) but also the edited suites initially threw me quite a bit and I always struggled to listen to it for so long, since it was so different from the in-film score. I've seen the film so many times it barely holds my interest anymore, but I tell you, to this day I still get a huge rush and chills when seeing the "BATMAN" logo literally unravel on screen with the great musical moment signaling the title's appearance with "RETURNS" underneath and the bats overtaking the frame. Talk about a great build-up!

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, I am a little late but I am going to order right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks