What's new

La La Land (2016) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I got from the fantasy sequence was not like a depressing sad moment where they say why we don't have this. It was like for a moment they thought of what could have been, but that did not happen and it's not the end of the world. I just love these small shots where a look or a smile says thousands of words. What surprised me the most was that Instead of a downer, I found the ending very uplifting.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those who bought both the La La Land original soundtrack and score may find this useful, I found a list put together by an Amazon reviewer that merges the tracks of both and lists them sequentially as they appear in the film, eliminating dupes-

*1. Another Day of Sun
2. Mia Gets Home
3. Bathroom Mirror/ You’re Coming Right?
*4. Someone in the Crowd
5. Classic Rope-a-Dope
6. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme
7. Stroll up the Hill
*8. A Lovely Night
9. There the Whole Time/ Twirl
10. Bogart & Bergman
11. Mia Hates Jazz
12. Herman’s Habit
*13. City of Stars
14. Rialto at Ten
15. Rialto
16. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Late for the Date)
17. Planetarium
18. Holy Hell
19. Summer Montage/ Madeline
20. It Pays
21. Chicken on a Stick
22. City of Stars/ May Finally Come True
*23. Start a Fire
24. Chinatown
25. Surprise
26. Boise
27. Missed the Play
28. It’s Over/ Engagement Party
29. The House in Front of the Library
*30. Audition (The Fools Who Dream)
31. You Love Jazz Now
32. Cincinnati
33. Epilogue
34. The End
35. Credits
36. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Celesta)
*37. City of Stars (Humming)

I FINALLY got around to compiling this list onto CD (making the suggested revisions of flipping cuts #13 & 14 and cuts #36 & 37).

Sometimes things just take a very long time. But those things can also be worth waiting for. :D

In the meantime, I can't even begin to say how many times Peg and I have watched the Blu of this film.

And the last time we did, we both picked up on something that we each hadn't noticed before. Oddly, I mentioned it and she said, "I just got that, too!" (and for all those who are dying to find out...it was the moment Mia went driving by the Rialto Theater (where they had seen Rebel Without a Cause) and saw that it had closed. Peg and I then noticed that lead to her realizing that she cou8ld hold her one-woman play there. Hadn't put that 2+2 together before and gotten 4, I guess.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
And the last time we did, we both picked up on something that we each hadn't noticed before. Oddly, I mentioned it and she said, "I just got that, too!" (and for all those who are dying to find out...it was the moment Mia went driving by the Rialto Theater (where they had seen Rebel Without a Cause) and saw that it had closed. Peg and I then noticed that lead to her realizing that she cou8ld hold her one-woman play there. Hadn't put that 2+2 together before and gotten 4, I guess.

Mike, Actually, she didn't perform her one-woman show at the Rialto. Her one-woman show was performed in the old Del Rio Theater on Adams Blvd in Los Angeles. This is the street view of that theater:

https://goo.gl/maps/bVHy8CDUGYH2

You see the exterior of that little theater in the film at 1 hour, 24 minutes, 36 seconds. Mia is walking up to the front door with items in her arms.

In fact, in the film, Mia shakes hands to seal the deal with the Del Rio Theater owner BEFORE she drive's past the now-closed Rialto theater.

When you watch the film the movie time between her shaking his hand and when she drives past the closed Rialto is rather brief. But it's during a sequence that represents a larger passage of time. Mia is working on her one-woman show and Sebastian is away working with his band. They are separated for a fair length of time. When she drive's past the closed Rialto and smiles, it's simply a scene to show the audience that she misses Sebastian and has fond memories of their first date.

Mark

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dammit! I was just on the phone with my wife and read her your post. We cannot--for the life of us--explain how we both came to the identical wrong realization--especially after seeing the film so many times. And it is so obviously clear, too, that the exterior of the theater where she held the show was nothing like the Rialto. Go figure.

Thanks, Mark (and for letting me down so gently!! :laugh: )

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I FINALLY got around to compiling this list onto CD (making the suggested revisions of flipping cuts #13 & 14 and cuts #36 & 37).

Sometimes things just take a very long time. But those things can also be worth waiting for. :D

In the meantime, I can't even begin to say how many times Peg and I have watched the Blu of this film.

Aaaaaaargh! So I take my newly-minted mp3 disc of "The Complete La La Land" and slide it into my car's CD player for my commute. I thoroughly enjoyed Another Day of Sun (as always) but then was mystified as the next song didn't seem right...and then the third song came up which DEFINITELY wasn't in the right spot.

Turns out my car isn't reading the tracks in the correct order!

I had renamed all the tracks thusly:

1-Another Day of Sun
2-Mia Gets Home
3-Bathroom Mirror, etc.

But, instead of playing the songs in 1, 2, 3, 4 order...my car's player wants to play them in this order:

1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 3, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34,, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

So I understand what the player is doing...but I am having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to make it understand what I want it to do--how to rename the tracks to trick the car (a 2013 Honda CR-V) into playing them in the correct order. Pishy caca!!

I guess I should rename track 2 "2-Mia Gets Home" to "11-Mia Gets home" and so forth?!?

Meanwhile, the disc plays fine (in correct order) on my Oppo 203 at home and in any PC/laptop. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have had no problem with CDs, but, our car system insists that I always want to hear all the tracks on my iphod in alphabetical order, makes a list of all my podcasts including ones that have not been on the iPod for years and randomly divides albums up into 3 or 4 track "Albums" of its own. I find if I make a play list for each real album it recognizes these. I also can't tell you how hoarse we have become shouting at the dashboard trying to get voice recognition to work properly.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Aaaaaaargh! So I take my newly-minted mp3 disc of "The Complete La La Land" and slide it into my car's CD player for my commute. I thoroughly enjoyed Another Day of Sun (as always) but then was mystified as the next song didn't seem right...and then the third song came up which DEFINITELY wasn't in the right spot.

Turns out my car isn't reading the tracks in the correct order!

I had renamed all the tracks thusly:

1-Another Day of Sun
2-Mia Gets Home
3-Bathroom Mirror, etc.

But, instead of playing the songs in 1, 2, 3, 4 order...my car's player wants to play them in this order:

1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 3, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34,, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

So I understand what the player is doing...but I am having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to make it understand what I want it to do--how to rename the tracks to trick the car (a 2013 Honda CR-V) into playing them in the correct order. Pishy caca!!

I guess I should rename track 2 "2-Mia Gets Home" to "11-Mia Gets home" and so forth?!?

Meanwhile, the disc plays fine (in correct order) on my Oppo 203 at home and in any PC/laptop. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
You name them 01, 02, 03 etc, and it'll work, at least it does on my devices.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You name them 01, 02, 03 etc, and it'll work, at least it does on my devices.

So simple. So beautifully simple. :thumbsup:

And for that, Mikael, I am grateful! :D

I will do that very thing tomorrow.

[And I'm NOT going to dwell on the fact that I SHOULD have been able to figure something that simple out myself!] :rolleyes:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The first time I saw this movie I also thought that the one Woman show was performed at the Rialto.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 'La La Land' for the umpteenth time tonight. But this time the musical score was performed live by the San Diego Symphony while the film was projected behind the orchestra. The San Diego Master Chorale sang the ensemble crowd numbers. Individual singing performances were the original artists. It was fantastic! The pianist's sync with the onscreen playing was perfect.

i-NG87VSv-X3.jpg

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those of us who love the music from La La Land, there is this tour de force performance of nearly ALL the music from the film by pianist David Kaylor.

Simply fantastic:

LOVE that fact that he inserts tons of fun, connective music cues such as Mia's cell ring at the end of A Lovely Day, Deck the Halls and Take On Me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Travis and I have been talking in another thread about Intrada's releases for the complete scores of Back to the Future and its first sequel. Then I saw this thread bubble back up thanks to Mike's post above mine.

It made me think I really wish Intrada or some similar company would do a re-release of the soundtrack for La La Land.

I really hate the way the soundtrack was released when the film came out, with one disc featuring the songs and a few score cues, and another separate release featuring the rest of the score.

If there was a new release which presented all of the tracks in chronological order as they appear in the film, I would buy that in a hot minute. That's the way it should be done to preserve the experience of hearing all the music together as intended. The two separate albums that are out now both have good material on them, but they feel disjointed because they're not the whole thing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A lot of us made our own chronological CDs by reassembling the songs on the two "official" CDs and burning them onto CD-R.

Yeah. That's one way to do it. But, just...even if you do that workaround, there should be an official release in this way. It's so obvious I'm still surprised they didn't do it. A Best Original Score Oscar winner should be presented in the most complete way possible.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Varèse Sarabande released a deluxe edition of Justin Hurwitz's score for Damien Chazelle's previous film, Whiplash. I found this while buying their deluxe edition of Back to the Future Part III. Since they have obviously worked with him before, maybe they could work something out to do a complete La La Land release. On the other hand, the previous soundtrack was on Interscope Records, so maybe they want to keep it, even though they seem to have no interest in a complete release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks