What's new

La La Land (2016) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film has a VERY happy ending! It's not the typical "Hollywood" happy ending that some people seem to be unable to live without, but it was a happy ending nonetheless. If you couldn't see that, you weren't paying enough attention!

Mark
To say people aren't paying attention is not what I would call it. I thought it was a happy ending for the two roles, but some people wanted them together at the end which was their interpretation of an happy ending.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
La La Land had a lot to overcome with this viewer, who has often been exasperated with over-hyped inferior movies (e.g. Crash) that seem to hypnotize the Academy and turn popular because it somehow becomes fashionable to like them.

La La Land overcame my skepticism and then some. As someone who moved to Hollywood in my early twenties and subsequently spent the rest of their life trying to "make it," I can affirm that La la Land gets it right. On so many levels.

There's a deeper layer to the screenplay that I loved. I thought the performances were honest. I enjoyed that the singing and dancing wasn't "slick." I admired the production design and color palette. I appreciated the cinematography, too.

Is it a great film? I'm not sure. I'll tell you in ten years, if it's still speaking to me in different ways. It was certainly a very good film to this viewer, one that made me stop and re-examine my life and my choices and left me with a bittersweet taste in my mouth. That's a good thing, at least for me. And I certainly don't resent this movie (like I thought I would going in) for its many nominations.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Box office guru report:

Leading all films with 14 Oscar nominations, the musical hit La La Land expanded once again into full national release in 3,136 locations and saw its weekend gross jump up 43% to an estimated $12.1M. The Lionsgate pic was the second Best Picture nominee in the top five to join the century club this weekend. Cume to date is $106.5M and like Hidden Figures, it also hopes to find its way to the $150M level. Global take to date is $223.6M.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I saw 'La La Land' for the fourth time today. I don't think I saw the original 'Star Wars' or 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' four times in the theater.

I love, love, LOVE this film! I can't wait to own it on 4K UHD Blu-ray! I don't care what it costs, I'm buying it!

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
‘La La Land’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament

THE BOTTOM LINE

The film’s plot delivered a bittersweet ending, and so did the Academy Awards. But the final ending here is a happy one, even if Lionsgate shares the windfall with Black Label. The film was greatly helped by launching with all the attendant awards-season attention that goes to a frontrunner, and has grossed $150 million here, and another $277.1 million overseas; that includes $35.8M that was made in China. Foreign contribution of $55M accounts for Lionsgate’s pre-sales on the original musical plus the profits it generated in the UK where they control distribution of the film. Chazelle was an up-and-comer writer-director, while Stone and Gosling and among the best and brightest young stars, so not surprisingly the Participations and Residuals and Off-the-Tops are significant and total about $47.5 million. According to our experts, La La Land returned $68.25 million in net profits on total costs of $143.75 million, for a Cash on Cash Return of 1.47. That leaves all the participants signing a happy tune. It also has helped give a shot in the arm to the movie musical.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/la-la-land-box-office-profit-2016-1202047487/

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
‘La La Land’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament

THE BOTTOM LINE

The film’s plot delivered a bittersweet ending, and so did the Academy Awards. But the final ending here is a happy one, even if Lionsgate shares the windfall with Black Label. The film was greatly helped by launching with all the attendant awards-season attention that goes to a frontrunner, and has grossed $150 million here, and another $277.1 million overseas; that includes $35.8M that was made in China. Foreign contribution of $55M accounts for Lionsgate’s pre-sales on the original musical plus the profits it generated in the UK where they control distribution of the film. Chazelle was an up-and-comer writer-director, while Stone and Gosling and among the best and brightest young stars, so not surprisingly the Participations and Residuals and Off-the-Tops are significant and total about $47.5 million. According to our experts, La La Land returned $68.25 million in net profits on total costs of $143.75 million, for a Cash on Cash Return of 1.47. That leaves all the participants signing a happy tune. It also has helped give a shot in the arm to the movie musical.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/la-la-land-box-office-profit-2016-1202047487/

Wait, that's not possible. Some 'La La Land' haters predicted it was going to be a dismal failure at the box office. How can that deadline article be true?

:rolleyes:

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was going to post that in the other thread but I figured this one was more appropriate.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
They said that about Chicago's BP win and it didn't seem to really move the needle unfortunately.

Yup. Every once in a while, we're told that "the musical is BACK!" or "the western is BACK!" but those trends never stick.

Each genre gets the occasional hit but never re-establishes itself with consistency.

Though I think westerns have done much better overall across the last 30 years or so - they're "back" a lot more frequently than musicals! :D

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
LLL combined with the amazing financial success of BatB might actually be enough to bring the musical back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks