What's new

La La Land (2016) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the first movie in YEARS that my wife has stated she wants to see in the theater. Lately she doesn't even come along when my son and I go to a movie. Go figure!

Crossing my fingers re: the singing. . .I am, in most cases, not a fan of musicals with actors who aren't good singers.
I think some people are going to be disappointed because even though I think it's a good film, it's not a great film in my opinion. A lot of praise being placed on this film will cause it not to meet some high expectations, many will have for this film.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Those who bought both the La La Land original soundtrack and score may find this useful, I found a list put together by an Amazon reviewer that merges the tracks of both and lists them sequentially as they appear in the film, eliminating dupes-

*1. Another Day of Sun
2. Mia Gets Home
3. Bathroom Mirror/ You’re Coming Right?
*4. Someone in the Crowd
5. Classic Rope-a-Dope
6. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme
7. Stroll up the Hill
*8. A Lovely Night
9. There the Whole Time/ Twirl
10. Bogart & Bergman
11. Mia Hates Jazz
12. Herman’s Habit
*13. City of Stars
14. Rialto at Ten
15. Rialto
16. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Late for the Date)
17. Planetarium
18. Holy Hell
19. Summer Montage/ Madeline
20. It Pays
21. Chicken on a Stick
22. City of Stars/ May Finally Come True
*23. Start a Fire
24. Chinatown
25. Surprise
26. Boise
27. Missed the Play
28. It’s Over/ Engagement Party
29. The House in Front of the Library
*30. Audition (The Fools Who Dream)
31. You Love Jazz Now
32. Cincinnati
33. Epilogue
34. The End
35. Credits
36. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Celesta)
*37. City of Stars (Humming)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I think some people are going to be disappointed because even though I think it's a good film, it's not a great film in my opinion. A lot of praise being placed on this film will cause it not to meet some high expectations, many will have for this film.

And, in my opinion, it is a great film. Yes, it may not meet some people's expectations, but that says more about the expectations than it does about the film. (Name one film, play, album, piece of art, etc. that meets everyone's expectations.)

Also, I've seen plenty of people commenting on Facebook or other boards that La La Land exceeded their expectations. I know my expectations were through the roof from the moment I saw the first teaser trailer "Audition" -- and I will be going back to see it for the 4th time when the IMAX engagement begins.

Your mileage obvious varies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those who bought both the La La Land original soundtrack and score may find this useful, I found a list put together by an Amazon reviewer that merges the tracks of both and lists them sequentially as they appear in the film, eliminating dupes-

Thanks, Joel. I HAD seen that there and was going to go back and make a copy to make my own complete version. Instead, I can make a copy of your post. Thanks.

I got the score CD a few days ago...but the OST doesn't arrive until tomorrow. I've enjoyed the score CD a few times through already. I absolutely LOVE the instrumental version of the opening song (Another Day of Sun) which plays over the credits.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And, in my opinion, it is a great film. Yes, it may not meet some people's expectations, but that says more about the expectations than it does about the film. (Name one film, play, album, piece of art, etc. that meets everyone's expectations.)

Also, I've seen plenty of people commenting on Facebook or other boards that La La Land exceeded their expectations. I know my expectations were through the roof from the moment I saw the first teaser trailer "Audition" -- and I will be going back to see it for the 4th time when the IMAX engagement begins.

Your mileage obvious varies.
I hope you're not taking my comments personally as an afront to your taste in film? I'm just saying that those that love this film expect to read and hear more critical comments about it because even though this film resonated with you, it will miss the mark by plenty with other people as audiences continue to view it. I liked the film, but I didn't love it. I'll still buy the 4K/UHD release of it and will watch it again in another attempt it grows on me as I did enjoy the storyline moreso than the music or dance in this film. I doubt I'll ever view it as a great film. The first time I viewed West Side Story as a kid in the 1960s, I knew I was viewing greatness. Several years ago, I felt the same way about Chicago. I didn't get that sense with this film.

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Thanks, Joel. I HAD seen that there and was going to go back and make a copy to make my own complete version. Instead, I can make a copy of your post. Thanks.

I got the score CD a few days ago...but the OST doesn't arrive until tomorrow. I've enjoyed the score CD a few times through already. I absolutely LOVE the instrumental version of the opening song (Another Day of Sun) which plays over the credits.

My pleasure Mike. I agree with the reviewer on Amazon that said this enhances the listening experience. Don't know why Interscope didn't release a two-disc Deluxe Edition, but it didn't take too long to sequence the tracks.

I find I like it more and more as I listen to it. Enjoy!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I enjoyed this film, but I'm not sure why it's being touted as a landmark film. Maybe the Hollywood ethos is so enamored of the old-school musical than even a movie like this, which is really 90% non-musical, inspires a kind of rapture? But I've seen better movies in the past two months.

Hype aside, this is IMO "just" a reasonably well-crafted love story featuring two pretty and charismatic people. Entertaining? Yes. Anything special? No.

75/100

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm concerned, any film that I see more than once in the theater is a great film. I've already seen 'La La Land' 3 times in the theater, so it's a great great great film! :)

My 4th viewing will probably be this week or next.

Mark

P.S. I'm glad some of you guys aren't voting Academy members! :)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I hope you're not taking my comments personally as an afront to your taste in film? I'm just saying that those that love this film expect to read and hear more critical comments about it because even though this film resonated with you, it will miss the mark by plenty with other people as audiences continue to view it. I liked the film, but I didn't love it. I'll still buy the 4K/UHD release of it and will watch it again in another attempt it grows on me as I did enjoy the storyline moreso than the music or dance in this film. I doubt I'll ever view it as a great film. The first time I viewed West Side Story as a kid in the 1960s, I knew I was viewing greatness. Several years ago, I felt the same way about Chicago. I didn't get that sense with this film.

Yes, I guess I do. And since you felt the need to double down on your opinion and further dismiss those who feel otherwise (i.e. "it will miss the mark by plenty"), I don't know how else I'm supposed to take your comments. I at least wrote "Your mileage obviously varies", whereas you do not give anyone else the same courtesy.

I'm curious why your opinion that La La Land is merely a good film apparently trumps mine that it is a great one? Because you have a blue Moderator badge?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I guess I do. And since you felt the need to double down on your opinion and further dismiss those who feel otherwise (i.e. "it will miss the mark by plenty"), I don't know how else I'm supposed to take your comments. I at least wrote "Your mileage obviously varies", whereas you do not give anyone else the same courtesy.

I'm curious why your opinion that La La Land is merely a good film apparently trumps mine that it is a great one? Because you have a blue Moderator badge?
How did I dismiss those that love this film? Why being a Moderator has anything to do with me expressing my personal opinion and why are you trying to make this a confrontation between you and I?

Some of my previous comments about La La Land from two different La La Land threads:

Okay, now that I have seen this film I can express my opinion with some actual knowledge of it. I don't agree with that reviewer's opinion in that posted video. I do respect what she's saying, but I just don't agree with her take, at least, not to that degree. During the first 30 minutes of this film, I wasn't really feeling it for this film. However, it started to pick up for me after Mia and Sebastian met at that party the latter was playing with that band. I loved the song request scene as it reminded me of Stone's lip syncing ability she displays on the Tonight Show. Very cute scene! The singing was alright and the dancing was fine. IMO, not a great musical, but I liked the story line more about these two people and how their lives unfolded going forward. My film grade is 4 out of 5, with a chance it might bump up another half point with future viewings with the 4K/UHD disc.

By the way, I made an 85 mile round trip to see this movie at the closest playing theater to me.

Today, I made an 85 mile round trip to view this film in the theater closest to me that was playing it. It's a fine film. I don't think I liked it as much as you did, but I think over time there is a chance I might end up liking it moreso than today. I highly recommend this film to anybody that loves musicals. I'm not a big musical fan, but unlike some of my friends, I can sit down and watch such films. I totally agree with its salute to M-G-M musicals of the past. I really liked that sequence.

As to La La Land, I don't love it like some others around here, but don't let my opinion or any other opinions keep you from not appreciating this film. When this comes out on 4K/UHD, I will definitely buy it as I think more viewings of it will cause me to appreciate this film even moreso than I do today.

Such negative opinions were bound to be expressed as this film received high accolades from reviewers and people such as yourself. High expectations based on very positive feedback will always generate some push back from those in which any particular film simply didn't work for them. That's life with film appreciation.:)

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
'La La Land' won every Golden Globe it was nominated for, a record seven!

And some of you haven't seen it yet!

That's okay, I'll go see it a fourth time for you! :)

Mark

I generally don't take awards shows seriously at the best of times and even less so when they engage in a mania like they did for this show.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) has announced its nominations for 2017. 'La La Land' received 11 nominations, more than any other film.

Best film:
Arrival - Dan Levine, Shawn Levy, David Linde, Aaron Ryder
I, Daniel Blake - Rebecca O'Brien
La La Land - Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt
Manchester By The Sea - Lauren Beck, Matt Damon, Chris Moore, Kimberly Steward, Kevin J. Walsh
Moonlight - Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adele Romanski

Outstanding British Film:
American Honey - Andrea Arnold, Lars Knudsen, Pouya Shahbazian, Jay Van Hoy
Denial - Mick Jackson, Gary Foster, Russ Krasnoff, David Hare
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - David Yates, JK Rowling, David Heyman, Steve Kloves, Lionel Wigram
I, Daniel Blake - Ken Loach, Rebecca O'Brien, Paul Laverty
Notes On Blindness - Peter Middleton, James Spinney, Mike Brett, Jo-Jo Ellison, Steve Jamison
Under The Shadow - Babak Anvari, Emily Leo, Oliver Roskill, Lucan Toh

Oustanding debut by a British writer, director or producer:
The Girl With All the Gifts - Mike Carey (writer), Camille Gatin (producer)
The Hard Stop: George Amponsah (writer/director/producer), Dionne Walker (writer/producer)
Notes on Blindness: Peter Middleton (writer/director/producer), James Spinney (writer/director), Jo-Jo Ellison (producer)
The Pass: John Donnelly (writer), Ben A Williams (director)
Under the Shadow: Babak Anvari (writer/director), Emily Leo, Oliver Roskill, Lucan Toh (producers)

Film not in the English language:
Dheepan - Jacques Audiard, Pascal Caucheteux
Julieta - Pedro Almodovar
Mustang - Deniz Gamze Erguven, Charles Gillibert
Son Of Saul - Laszlo Nemes, Gabor Sipos
Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade, Janine Jackowski

Documentary:
13th - Ava DuVernay
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years - Ron Howard
The Eagle Huntress - Otto Bell, Stacey Reiss
Notes on Blindness - Peter Middleton, James Spinney
Weiner - Josh Kriegman, Elyse Steinberg

Animated Film:
Finding Dory - Andrew Stanton
Kubo And The Two Strings - Travis Knight
Moana - Ron Clements, John Musker
Zootropolis - Byron Howard, Rich Moore

Director:
Arrival - Denis Villeneuve
I, Daniel Blake - Ken Loach
La La Land - Damien Chazelle
Manchester By The Sea - Kenneth Lonergan
Nocturnal Animals - Tom Ford

Original Screenplay:
Hell Or High Water - Taylor Sheridan
I, Daniel Blake - Paul Laverty
La La Land - Damien Chazelle
Manchester By The Sea - Kenneth Lonergan
Moonlight - Barry Jenkins

Adapted Screenplay:
Arrival - Eric Heisserer
Hacksaw Ridhe - Robert Schenkkan, Andrew Knight
Hidden Figures - Theodore Melfi, Allison Schroeder
Lion - Luke Davies
Nocturnal Animals - Tom Ford

Leading Actor:
Andrew Garfield - Hacksaw Ridge
Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nocturnal Animals
Ryan Gosling - La La Land
Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic

Leading Actress:
Amy Adams - Arrival
Emily Blunt - The Girl on the Train
Emma Stone - La La Land
Meryl Streep - Florence Foster Jenkins
Natalie Portman - Jackie

Supporting Actor:
Aaron Taylor-Johnson - Nocturnal Animals
Dev Patel - Lion
Hugh Grant - Florence Foster Jenkins
Jeff Bridges - Hell or High Water
Mahershala Ali - Moonlight

Supporting Actress:
Hayley Squires - I, Daniel Blake
Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea
Naomie Harris - Moonlight
Nicole Kidman - Lion
Viola Davis - Fences

Original Music:
Arrival - Johann Johannsson
Jackie - Mica Levi
La La Land - Justin Hurwitz
Lion - Dustin O'Halloran, Hauschka
Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

Cinematography:
Arrival - Bradford Young
Hell Or High Water - Giles Nuttgens
La La Land - Linus Sandgren
Lion - Greig Fraser
Nocturnal Animals - Seamus McGarvey

Editing:
Arrival - Joe Walker
Hacksaw Ridge - John Gilbert
La La Land - Tom Cross
Manchester By The Sea - Jennifer Lame
Nocturnal Animals - Joan Sobel

Production Design:
Doctor Strange - John Bush, Charles Wood
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock
Hail, Caesar! - Jess Gonchor, Nancy Haigh
La La Land - Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, David Wasco
Nocturnal Animals - Shane Valentino, Meg Everist

Costume Design:
Allied - Joanna Johnston
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Colleen Atwood
Florence Foster Jenkins - Consolata Boyle
Jackie - Madeline Fontaine
La La Land - Mary Zophres

Make up and hair:
Doctor Strange - Jeremy Woodhead
Florence Foster Jenkins - J. Roy Helland, Daniel Phillips
Hacksaw Ridge - Shane Thomas
Nocturnal Animals - Donald Mowat, Yolanda Toussieng
Rogue One: A Star Wars History - Nominees tbc

Sound:
Arrival - Claude La Haye, Bernard Gariepy Strobl, Sylvain Bellemare
Deepwater Horizon - Mike Prestwood Smith, Dror Mohar, Wylie Stateman, David Wyman
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Niv Adiri, Glenn Freemantle, Simon Hayes, Andy Nelson, Ian Tapp
Hacksaw Ridge - Peter Grace, Robert Mackenzie, Kevin O'Connell, Andy Wright
La La Land - Mildred Iatrou Morgan, Ai-Ling Lee, Steve A. Morrow, Andy Nelson

Special visual effects:
Arrival - Louis Morin
Doctor Strange - Richard Bluff, Stephane Ceretti, Paul Corbould, Jonathan Fawkner
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Tim Burke, Pablo Grillo, Christian Manz, David Watkins
The Jungle Book - Robert Legato, Dan Lemmon, Andrew R. Jones, Adam Valdez
Rogue One: A Star Wars History - Neil Corbould, Hal Hickel, Mohen Leo, John Knoll, Nigel Sumner

British short animation:
The Alan Dimension - Jac Clinch, Jonathan Harbottle, Millie Marsh
A Love Story - Khaled Gad, Anushka Kishani Naanayakkara, Elena Ruscombe-King
Tough - Jennifer Zheng

British short film:
Consumed - Richard John Seymour
Home - Shpat Deda, Afolabi Kuti, Daniel Mulloy, Scott O'Donnell
Mouth Of Hell - Bart Gavigan, Samir Mehanovic, Ailie Smith, Michael Wilson
The Party - Farah Abushwesha, Emmet Fleming, Andrea Harkin, Conor MacNeill
Standby - Charlotte Regan, Jack Hannon

EE Rising Star award (voted for by the public):
Anya Taylor-Joy
Laia Costa
Lucas Hedges
Ruth Negga
Tom Holland

The awards will be handed out on February 12.

Mark

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, that was odd.

A spokesman for Disney explained: “In the UK we decided to change the US title (Zootopia) to Zootropolis to merely allow the film to have a unique title that works for UK audiences.”

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So it looks like this WILL be on an Imax screen near me!

How will the AR be done? It'll remain 2.55:1 on the Imax screen...right?

I'm not good at knowing how these things work (shot on film/digital/resolutions, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks