What's new

La La Land (2016) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
LLL combined with the amazing financial success of BatB might actually be enough to bring the musical back.

If you're going to count Disney flicks, then the musical never "died" - they've always done well.

Yes, the new "BatB" isn't animated, but it might as well be - it seems to be a pretty literal live-action version of the animated film.

I think Disney flicks are exempt from the wider rule about musicals - I wouldn't count the musical as being "back" until another non-Disney live-action musical becomes a hit...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's the info on the EXCLUSIVE bonus content on the Target Blu-ray release of La La Land:

It is noted in the red banner on the following image:

full

FWIW, I could only find one copy of the Target Exclusive in my local store when the doors opened at 8 this morning. Maybe they had some boxes that they had yet to open, but there were several Blu copies out that did NOT have the big sticker on the front:

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've already confessed (in another thread), Wayne that I did the unheard-of-for-me release day double dip. I had pre-ordered the 4k release from Amazon the day the $42.99 pre-order page went up (thank God for price drops!) and then decided I didn't want to miss out on the extra bonus content on the Target disc.

Do me a favor, though, okay...and don't tell my wife! :unsure:

:D Although this is maybe the one film for which she MAYBE wouldn't give me a hard time...MAYBE! :laugh:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Mike, thanks for the heads-up on the Target exclusive edition. It's the same price as the Blu-ray on Amazon. May have to stop at Target on my way home tonight. And I won't say a thing to your wife about the double dip. :)

Here's the info on the EXCLUSIVE bonus content on the Target Blu-ray release of La La Land:

It is noted in the red banner on the following image:

full

FWIW, I could only find one copy of the Target Exclusive in my local store when the doors opened at 8 this morning. Maybe they had some boxes that they had yet to open, but there were several Blu copies out that did NOT have the big sticker on the front:

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike, thanks for the heads-up on the Target exclusive edition. It's the same price as the Blu-ray on Amazon. May have to stop at Target on my way home tonight. And I won't say a thing to your wife about the double dip. :)

Joel: If you want the exclusive bonus content at Target, just be sure you find a copy of the Blu-ray release with the special white sticker on the front. There was only ONE of these at my store at 8 this morning (when the doors opened):

full

All the copies without the white sticker did NOT have the bonus DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've already confessed (in another thread), Wayne that I did the unheard-of-for-me release day double dip. I had pre-ordered the 4k release from Amazon the day the $42.99 pre-order page went up (thank God for price drops!) and then decided I didn't want to miss out on the extra bonus content on the Target disc.

Do me a favor, though, okay...and don't tell my wife! :unsure:

:D Although this is maybe the one film for which she MAYBE wouldn't give me a hard time...MAYBE! :laugh:
Do you have a 4K setup? I'd think that would be the sticky wicket in this case against buying both.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got a 4k player and capable receiver. The display is what I'm missing.

I'm starting to "future-proof" my purchases of new titles--especially those, like La La Land, that are already family favorites and I know will get a lot of viewing down the road.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Since I've purchased my LG OLED 65E6 its decreased in price by $500. You can probably get it for about $2700 or so. Maybe now is the time eh Mike?:D

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Yes, picked up the correct copy with the white sticker. My local Target had 9 on the shelf and as I was standing there a stock boy added 4 or 5 more copies. Unfortunately, I won't get to it until the weekend. Happy watching!

Joel: If you want the exclusive bonus content at Target, just be sure you find a copy of the Blu-ray release with the special white sticker on the front. There was only ONE of these at my store at 8 this morning (when the doors opened):

full

All the copies without the white sticker did NOT have the bonus DVD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Since I've purchased my LG OLED 65E6 its decreased in price by $500. You can probably get it for about $2700 or so. Maybe now is the time eh Mike?:D

$4300 at Amazon. If you know where someone sells a 65E6 for $2700, tell me and I'll throw my money at them!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are you in for a triple-dip? At Walmart tonight I saw they also have an exclusive bonus disc: a 30 minute Q&A with writer/director Damien Chazelle.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
$4300 at Amazon. If you know where someone sells a 65E6 for $2700, tell me and I'll throw my money at them!
Best Buy is currently $3500. I got mine at PC Richard here in the NYC area for $3200 before the $500 price drop.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally watched this on Blu-ray. I thought the score was good. In fact, I may even look at getting the CD for it, which is not something I do often when it comes to film music. The film, itself, didn't do much for me. I dozed off in the middle of it and woke up for the last part and finished watching it.

I know the intent of this film was to pay homage to or recapture the feel of classic musicals of the 40s and 50s, but this picture really felt too plastic and staged to me. I couldn't really get involved with the characters or the situations. It all felt too artificial to me. It's too bad, because the score for the film really was quite good. Frankly, to me, setting this film in the present was a mistake. I think it would have felt more natural and worked a lot better as a period piece.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I posted this on Josh's Blind Buy thread and it was suggested I post it here too. I recently picked up the La La Land blu-ray and this is my first viewing of the movie

I've not seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg so I wondered if it was good to see La La Land first. I suppose it gives me a frame of reference for comparison to the source material. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I can appreciate them, I do own The Sound of Music and even the soundtrack, though I don't listen to it regularly. I treat The Sound of Music as an event film like The Ten Commandments, a yearly viewing. It's also a film from my childhood, so it has some connection to that.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I sat down to watch it. I had only seen a few stills. I'm thinking of Robert Harris' post in 'A Few Words' on this movie. He envied those who would see this movie the first time. I can see what he means as I thought it was a visual feast for the eyes. He mentioned something about scenes lit with one light source. I definitely saw those.

The first sequence on the freeway I wasn't as impressed by, it looked like quite an effort to stage and choreograph so I can appreciate that. The sequence I was more impressed by were the first scenes with Mia and her roommates dancing in the street. The light for that sequence was unreal, I wondered how they achieved the light in the sky and the setting sun on the horizon. The next sequence at the party at the glass house in the pool was a fun sequence where they just went nuts, that was fun. Just a visual delight. I liked that the movie wasn't real, it is a series of episodes that move the narrative. When Sebastian is playing the piano at the restaurant and the spot light comes on and focuses on him only was unreal, but a visual way to show Mia only sees him. Then the next sequence when Mia and Sebastian meet up again after the party and walk up the road and they do the dance number was another unreal moment where I have to technically ask, how they did that, it looked like it was filmed on a real street. But the view down on Los Angeles and the orange horizon just could not have been real. It had to be a studio shot if they could hold the sunset still and not let it go down while filming. But it looked real. I only watched on regular blu-ray, not 4K. It was still a stunning shot. The planetarium sequences were kind of goofy and felt more on the edge, but I get it, they were so lost into each other in that place.

The fantasy sequence later where Mia imagines life with Sebastian instead was fun. And here's where I wasn't as satisfied with the ending. I realize the point is both characters came to Hollywood to pursue a dream. In the end, they both achieved it after some ups and downs. But I really wanted the Hollywood ending and they did come together. But early in the film as Sebastian's career is moving ahead with the band and the touring, he admits, this is what we do, this is what Mia wanted for him. To take a job and establish himself as a musician. He wanted for her to pursue acting.

The other aspect I didn't like is the difficulties they show of people trying to make it in Hollywood. It's a tough terrible ugly life and so many do not make it. It was very well shown in both characters. Especially Mia. Maybe I can empathize a bit by having a similar experience in a way of a down period in ones career and seeing a friend who really tried to make it in Hollywood but it didn't work out. I imagine nearly everyone who voted in the academy probably could identify with that.

In the end, I really enjoyed it for the visuals. It was pure cinema. Its a love story, but it wasn't a happy ending in the traditional Hollywood sense. So I was disappointed by that, but they went for a more realistic ending with that touch of melancholy of what could have been.

Since I originally posted this, I've been ruminating the movie a lot more then I expected I would. I also have listened to the score on YouTube as I really liked the Mia and Sebastian theme, and I've got the City of Stars track in my head. So I bought both albums, soundtrack and score. I guess I like the movie more then I thought.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I finally saw this. I was not very involved with the movie for the first 2/3. I could appreciate the one take efforts but it didn't do much for me. It was pretty to watch. It was the last 1/3 of the movie where I started to enjoy it and I probably would have given it 6 or 7/10.

Then it came the ending. I heard people had problems with it. I absolutely loved the ending. So much that I bump it up and give it 8/10. It would have not worked for me if that was not the ending.

For me it elevated the movie and I did not find it sad or un-happy. I especially loved the smile and nudge they gave each other. It's like they acknowledged the good time they had and that they are happy for the other person's success. Things evolve, change and they are not going to be miserable for the rest of their lives. That's what I got.

One Oscar movie left.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then it came the ending. I heard people had problems with it. I absolutely loved the ending. So much that I bump it up and give it 8/10. It would have not worked for me if that was not the ending.

For me it elevated the movie and I did not find it sad or un-happy. I especially loved the smile and nudge they gave each other. It's like they acknowledged the good time they had and that they are happy for the other person's success. Things evolve, change and they are not going to be miserable for the rest of their lives. That's what I got.

One Oscar movie left.
A film opinion from Sam that I can agree with. Wow!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks