la femme nikita SE - are my eyes going CRAZY!?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean Patrick, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

tonight i finally got around to watching the Special Edition dvd of La Femme Nikita. the THIRD version of this dvd i've owned.

everything started out nice enough. the oppressive grain from the 2nd release (the first mgm release) was gone....

but soon this DVD started looking alot like the first dvd...with severe aliasing, ntsc artifacting, and jaggies. and that one had an excuse - it wasn't 16x9.

what's so frustrating is that it doesn't look like EE (well that would still be frustrating, but explainable)...it looks like some sort of conversion artifact of some sort. sort of like the "Me Myself and Irene" jaggies that occured from a bad HD down-convert. There's good detail, a stable picture, and great colors. But ANY shot with a hard, bright edge of ANY sort is wretched looking (look at the shot of the judge's bench early in the film - the wood paneling is dancing with jagged lines).

anyway i did a search for reviews and no one seemed disappointed with this transfer. just wondering if ANYONE else has problems with this dvd.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Sean Patrick

sorry about that.

anyway, the DVDFILE review was the first review i went to read. it mentions slight edge enhancement but that's not what i'm seeing. i'm seeing massive aliasing in many scenes, not necessarily the halo effect of EE.

it reminds me of the downconversion artifacts i used to see with my old Toshiba 2109 before i had a 16:9 tv. for instance, i remember one scene where there were bright overhead lights in a room - the edges of the lights had BAD stair-stepping on them which moved when the camera moved.

anyway, i'll probably sell the disc since the thread you gave me confirmed my fears that the subtitles were tkane from the english dub. that's just ridiculous!

PS - i did a search for threads before posting my concerns but that thread never showed up - should i be searching the archives?

4. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the subtitles on this new version are accurate. The older version was the one with sub problems. But I sympathize about the transfer ugliness. Here's my review, also linked in that thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6607

5. Sean Patrick

thanks for the link.

that's interesting about the subtitles...some reviews say it's the same english-dub subtitles from before. Plus, my wife speaks french and was constantly commenting how the subtitles weren't really conveying the true meaning of the dialogue.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I feel the same way about the english dub.

--
    H

8. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

Well, as was covered in that other thread, all I can say is that they're MORE accurate than the previous dub transcription. I can't speak to how closely they follow every word (I don't speak French), but they're an improvement.

9. Sean Patrick

well as long as they're more accurate i'm satisfied. some reviews seemed to indicate otherwise.

i'll probably keep it now. what's frustrating is that the jaggies are inconsistent - some portions of the movie look great, some look HORRID.