What's new

La Dolce Vita: Deluxe Collector’s Ed. 3 DVD set – 11/8/2005 (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
The video marketplace publication “Vide Business weekly” has a story on collector’s edition DVDs due out for the fourth quarter. Among the obvious (Batman collection and Cinderella Platinum Edition, etc.) was a tiny piece on a 3 DVD set of La Dolce Vita from Koch Lorber. There was no news on content, but it better be good with a retail price of $79.98!

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I see, thanks for the details, Gregory! Besides the booklet, poster and photos and a third DVD with lots of added extras, it's the same as the first 2-DVD set; still, it has some significant supplements! I may be interested in trading my 2 DVD set to get this one. From the size of the photos, it doesn't look like it may fit in a regular DVD case, though.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'll take a pass on it... especially at that price.

The current release is great, and I'm more than happy with it. The film is the most important part for me.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Whoah, now this is the most cynical, screw-em-over, double-dip I can recall. And at that price? Thanks for making it very easy for me to just say no, Koch Lorber. You assholes.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The original DVD's producer is a member of this forum, and chimed in often before the DVD was released. It would be interesting to hear from him what the hell they're thinking.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I must admit, I was taken completely by suprise by this, and I try to stay on top of things like these, as I'm big on supplemental content, especially the detailed historical content of the supplements of this new 3-DVD version. If it's any consolation, the DVD Empire price is about $20 below the suggested retail price, Deep Discount DVD maybe lower.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
The reason different studios keep releasing double dips is because people keep buying them.

They are not assholes.

They are in business.

I don't buy most double dips anymore (except some re-releases of early titles, like The Fugitive, Top Gun or the upcoming Batman box set). Most of the "new" extras are nothing special and are often just publicity for a sequel.
The other reason, is that with HD DVD on the horizon (yes, still probably pretty far away) I don't want to have to triple dip!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

They are assholes because they didn't give consumers a choice to begin with. It would've been far better to have released both editions at once---particularly since the content of the first two discs is identical to the original release---even if it meant pushing back the release date.

This is a very cynical ploy to milk the consumer (especially at that outrageous price). Koch Lorber deserves all the heat they'll get over this release, and I hope people avoid it in droves.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I do not have the 2-disc version, but I probably won't buy this new 3-disc edition. Sure it would be nice to have the 3rd disc, but the price is too much, and I don't care about the poster or photographs. I'll eventually pick up the 2-disc or maybe the 3-disc if I find a cheap one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those interested, they might be well advised to release the third disc separately at a low cost.

But overall, this does not bode well for the distributor joining the multiple dip club.

RAH

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'd be all over a reasonably priced 3-disc version, but the added value of this set over the 2-disc isn't even close to being worth the $40 price difference!

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Maybe the distributor has gained access to new extras? It can happen.

I don't have the earlier release, so the new one is a pleasant surprise. I'll be getting it. I also love it when my laziness at picking up original editions is rewarded with access to a double or triple dip. (I'm obviously less happy when the reverse happens, but I've been relatively lucky so far).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the backlash.

Aren't we all used to double-dip releases by now?
As much as double-dipping sucks, it seems like people are taking it extra personal in this case.

At least KL didn't purposely sabotage the picture quality in the earlier release in order to sell people on a new release later on with improved picture quality... like we've seen with Columba Tristar.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The original 2-disc extras were numerous (if not quite as top drawer as your typical Criterion), and include everything you see noted above on the first two discs.

What Koch is providing for exactly twice the MSRP ($79.98 for the new one; $39.98 for the old) is the third disc and what appears to be a different booklet. IMO, you'd have to be an idiot to pay that price for these meager additions (and only the Nino Rota documentary looks remotely substantive).

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

As long as people are calling the company he works for assholes, I doubt he will post anything here. I don't blame him.

Yes, I wish I would have had the option to at least consider this three disc set when the first edition came out ($80 does sound way to high, I probably would have stuck with the two disc). But, at least I have the well done existing two-disc set that I can enjoy for years to come. Eventually this movie will turn up in HD DVD - maybe they will include all of the above and then some?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks