What's new

L/R Outputs Into 1 Speaker- Is This OK? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
For aesthetic reasons(I don't get it), someone I know wants only one speaker in his kitchen.

Is there any harm in combining the left and right speaker channels into a single speaker? The output would be a from a mid-level Yamaha 2 channel receiver.

Thanks...

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
i'm pretty sure it will destroy receiver, as it did my friends. If he is only gonna use 1 speaker, tell him just to use either the left or the right.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I'm bumping this up with a second question:

Would it matter if the outputs were coming from a good quality speaker selector switch?

Thanks

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator

Asside from destroying something that was more expensive rather than less, I don't think it will. I'm kind of speculating here:

The receiver sends out the information in the form of electricity. The speaker receives this electricity and makes the sound.

Now, your friend connects left and right to the same speaker terminal. Let's say noise comes out of the left channel. The receiver sends the electricity out. But in addition to going to the speaker, it travels back to the right speaker out terminal on the receiver.

This in turn replecates Benihana's friend's results with your friend's receiver.

Jason_RoyH

Auditioning
goto mcm electronics' website. They sell a transformer that has two inputs and one output designed for merging a stereo signak into one speaker while keeping anything else hooked up to the amp seperated in stereo.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
James,

Your friend could always combine the outputs of the source component into a single signal, and use either the right or left input (and speaker connection) of the receiver. Not the most ideal situation, but certainly better than sending two speaker outputs to the same speaker. If the source is the radio, it can always be switched to mono.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks