What's new

L.A.'s New Beverly Cinema to show _2001: A Space Odyssey_ in 35mm. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's right.

This Saturday, and on through Monday, The New Beverly Cinema revival house in Los Angeles is showing a 35mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey on a double bill with A Clockwork Orange.

No word on either of the prints' vintage. In the case of the 1968 magnum opus, I do not have word yet if this print was freshly struck or if it is an older print that has been through the grinder several times. I will find out within the next day or two.

A Clockwork Orange, on the other hand, would be nice to see again on a larger screen.

I am delighted with the current DVDs of both titles. That, coupled with the New Beverly's relative lack of plushness and its less-than-state-of-the-art projection facilities, makes me slightly hesitant. But, then, when did I ever let practicality get in the way of me enjoying myself?

If anyone is interested, I will post the showtimes for both films. I might go to this if some of you are interested. 'Sides, the theater is only about six or seven blocks away from my pad.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I think you should go anyway, just to see the print conidition as a mere curiosity. Hell, I've seen the worst existing print of this film (assuming it's still around, I saw it in 1995), and I still loved it. :)
Jason

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm going! Come on, guys--I never pass up seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey projected in commercial cinemas. This, however, follows a very tough act: the freshly struck 70mm print I saw three times last December at The Egyptian in Hollywood.

I'll prepare myself on Friday evening by screening both 2001 and A Clockwork Orange at home.

If any other HTFers in the area want to agree to a showtime, I'll go then. The first screening is this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks