L.A. Film Critics AwardsVotes are still streaming in .... Here's what we know so far:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kelly, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Stunt Coordinator

Votes are still streaming in .... Here's what we know so far:

Best Picture: In the Bedroom

Runner-Up: Mulholland Drive

Best Director: David Lynch

Runner-Up: Robert Altman

Best Actor: Denzel Washington

Runner-up: Tom Wilkinson

Best Actress: Sissy Spacek

Runner-up: Naomi Watts

Best Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent

Runner-up: Ben Kingsley

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet

Runner-up: Helen Mirren

Best Screenplay: Memento

Runner-up: Ghost World

Courtesy of goldderby.com

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Another coup for Shrek. I always thought that this was a better film than Monsters, Inc. Here is the full list (courtesy of Alex Fung):
    Best Picture
    In The Bedroom (Miramax)
    Directed by Todd Field
    --------------------
    Best Actor
    Denzel Washington, Training Day (Warner Bros.)
    --------------------
    Best Actress
    Sissy Spacek, In The Bedroom (Miramax)
    --------------------
    Best Supporting Actor
    Jim Broadbent, Iris (Miramax) and Moulin Rouge (Fox)
    --------------------
    Best Supporting Actress
    Kate Winslet, Iris (Miramax)
    --------------------
    Best Director
    David Lynch, Mulholland Dr. (Universal Focus)
    --------------------
    Best Screenplay
    Christopher Nolan, Memento (Newmarket)
    --------------------
    Best Foreign-Language Film
    No Man's Land (MGM)
    Directed by Danis Tanovic
    --------------------
    Best Documentary
    The Gleaners And I (Zeitgeist)
    Directed by Agnès Varda
    --------------------
    Best Cinematography
    Roger Deakins, The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films)
    --------------------
    Best Production Design
    Catherine Martin, Moulin Rouge (Fox)
    --------------------
    Best Music Score
    Howard Shore, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings (New Line)
    --------------------
    Best Animation (Feature)
    Shrek (DreamWorks)
    Directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson
    --------------------
    New Generation Award
    John Cameron Mitchell, Hedwig And The Angry Inch
    --------------------
    Career Achievement
    Ennio Morricone

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

okay, it's official.
    This year's Oscars are going to be a mess.
    Will In the Bedroom be big enough to have a shot?
    Is Muholland Dr. anywhere near mainstream enough to be considered?
    Is Gosford Park really good or do people just so respect Altman?
    A few sniffs for Memento and Moulin Rouge breathe a little life there.
    Shrek has to be the lead candidate for the Animation Oscar (a catagory almost made to compensate for it not getting a Best Pix nomination, IMO). Waking Life and Monsters will probably be the 2 films picked to lose to it.
    LOTR best score. I bet this carries over to Oscar night, and considering the year I'd say it's got a chance at Enya getting best song. Not my cup of tea really, but it fits their patterns.
    Too bad Hedwig can't get song nominations since it already ran 2 years off-Broadway.
    Kingsley shut down again on Supporting. But somehow I doubt that will continue with Oscars. I hadn't considered Broadbent, but since critics consider all works as a group it helps.
    It would seem that In the Bedroom has a real edge on Actor/Actress at this point.
    Watts is going to get an Oscar nomination it looks like.
    And what the hell is going to happen with Best Director? I couldn't guess the 5 nominees at this point, let alone the winner. Altman and Lynch, both nominted for these films? M.Dr. ain't no Straight Story or Elephant Man in terms of being digestible by the mainstream audience.
    Questions, questions, questions. one thing is for certain, the Golden Globes will only make matters worse. [​IMG]

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Will In the Bedroom be big enough to have a shot?
    I think you underestimated Miramax's Oscar machine, which based on this year's buzz, will be backing a legitimately strong picture.
    Is Muholland Dr. anywhere near mainstream enough to be considered?
    Mulholland Drive is looking more like last year's Requiem For A Dream, Academy wise.
    Is Gosford Park really good or do people just so respect Altman?
    We shall see.
    And what the hell is going to happen with Best Director?
    I see another split here this year with the Best Director not winning in the Best Picture category and vice-versa.
    It would seem that In the Bedroom has a real edge on Actor/Actress at this point.
    More likely for Spacek at this point rather than for Wilkinson.
    Watts is going to get an Oscar nomination it looks like.
    I sure hope so.
    ~Edwin

5. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Does it really matter what the Academy picks? Has it ever really been representative of the best films made each year? Don't set yourself up for another disappointment.

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Actually Luc, I do think the Oscars get in the ballpark. Naturally they have some tendancies that we find annoying, but the fact that Almost Famous, CTHD, and Traffic all got decent awards last year and that Requiem and Dancer in the Dark, Billy Elliot, and others got some sort of nominations and discussion does say that the Oscars are about some of the best films of the year.

I always think the miss on some and get some right, and are always somewhere around the right area.

Many of the previous years I have actually agreed with their major picks. I agree more than I strongly disagree for sure.

After all, just look at the critical lists we have so far and find a single film that is dominating these lists. I mean, the Time's critics have 1 film in common. ONE. Black Hawk Down. Doesn't even make many other lists.

So if you take the total vote it will seem "popular" because that's what a group vote is all about, as it should be.

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Miramax has this film? I hadn't paid attention enough.
    Game over, man. [​IMG] (from one Paxton to another)
    By the way, Edwin. Unlike Best Song, Watts will NOT be "performing" as part of a nomination, so let's not get too excited okay. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

All I'm saying Seth is don't expect much from films like Mulholland Drive, In the Bedroom, Memento (I haven't seen Godsford Park). The best they could ever do is an acting or screenplay nomination. That's been the pattern over the last five years or so; give the smaller independent films these kinds of nominations if any so that they can show that they "know about them" and thus give them an excuse to give Best Picture to Gladiator. Watch the major nominations go to films like Ali, Black Hawk Down and the Shipping News. I'm not dumping on these films, I haven't seen them, but rest assured they will make a lot of money and are much safer bets. I kind of find it insulting that they relegate smaller films to acting or screenplay categories. It's like they never even get the chance to compete.

Just look at the Best Picture winners over the last twenty years:

Ordinary People

Chariots of Fire

Gandhi

Terms of Endearment

Amadeus

Out of Africa

Platoon

The Last Emperor

Rain Man

Driving Miss Daisy

Dances With Wolves

The Silence of the Lambs

Unforgiven

Schindler's List

Forrest Gump

Braveheart

The English Patient

Titanic

Shakespeare in Love

American Beauty

Gladiator

Almost without any exceptions, these are all slick, big budget Hollywood films. A few are deserving, but most are not.

Absent from this list are films like Raging Bull, Blue Velvet, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Being John Malkovich, Dancer in the Dark, The Red Violin, The Thin Red Line... Last I heard the Academy Awards are supposed to honor the best films, not the most popular. That's why these critics' lists are kind of fun.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I will go out on a limb and say that the winner of Best Picture will be either:

A Beautiful Mind

In the Bedroom

and both will get nominations.

I think both will be in the running for best director as well.

Sure if there is a BIG quality picture and a SMALL maybe better quality picture then the big one usually comes through.

But as previous threads have shown NO ONE AGREES on which choices the Academy made were the wrong ones. So that tells me that they get it very close. The problem is that people put their own feelings above others.

Gladiator is one of the rare exceptions of films that didn't really run in lots of top 5 critical lists yet still won (along with Chocolat's nomination). Many times while the #1 critical darling might miss, the awards still go to #2 or 3 of the year by consensous.

If you look at the TOTAL of the HTF lists last year, Almost Famous, Traffic and CTHD were at the top. All 3 films got Oscars and 2 of them got Best Pix nominations.

In fact here are the HTF top 10 as picked in an open vote last year -

Traffic - 4 wins, 1 other nomination

CTHD - 4 wins, 6 other nominations

Almost Famous - 1 win, 2 other nominations

Requiem - 1 nomination

High Fidelity - no nominations

You Can Count on Me - 2 nominations

Gladiator - 5 wins, 7 other nominations

Dancer in the Dark - 1 nomination

Wonder Boys - 1 win, 2 other nominations

Other films nominated - Erin Brockovich, Pollock, Before Night Falls, Quills, The Contender, Shadow of a Vampire, Billy Elliot, Oh Brother, Malena

AND Amores Perros probably lost out on an Oscar ONLY because of CTHD. AP is the darling of many critics list this year.

So while people may not like how their favorite gets treated, the Oscars DO recognize quality films including the smaller ones.

11. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

i hope denzel wins it cuz i loved is perfomance in this movie. it was the only movie this year that i watched several times and each time got something new from it. also memento was very good as well.