L.A. Confidential - Are the rumors true?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Harvey, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Are the rumors true? Can we expect a special edition re-release of LA. Confidential sometime in 2006? If so . . . this is amazing news. Anyone confirm?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

What rumors? I haven't even heard any rumors.

3. David Allum

David Allum Stunt Coordinator

From last year's Warner chat (transcript):

[Chris] Thanks for all your great work. I was wondering about Special Editions of some 90s/late 80s movies,
    specifically Mosquito Coast, Presumed Innocent, The Fugitive and L.A. Confidential.

[WarnerHomeVideo] On the hush-hush and the QT,LA CONFIDENTIAL SE is in 'da works. No others from that group
    are planned for SE reissues.

One to follow up on in the Warner char later this month (21st. I think).

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I have a database where I keep track of reliable rumors about films I want, and I'm sure I entered that info at the time. I guess so much time passed with no other word, that it got removed (I houseclean it every once in a while to remove rumors that seem not to have panned out).

Hopefully someone will ask about it at this year's chat.

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

This would be among the few remaining highly anticipated reissues from WB that I'm still waiting and very much looking forward to picking up. [​IMG]

6. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Same here, MarcoBiscotti. I discovered this film about 7 years ago and it's been a consistent favorite. I will very glad to finally upgrade. It really deserves a nice two-disc treatment. I'm glad to hear it is coming.

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

The stuff they say at Warners chats can sometimes take at least two years to pan out, sometimes they do hint at stuff that far in advance. I asked about some MGM musicals at the Warners chat of two years ago, including It's Always Fair Weather, which is finally coming out this April. So I wouldn't assume that something they said at least year's chat isn't in the works just because there's been no further word of it.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I think that people put too much stock in what Warner reps say in the chats and take the 'hopeful' responses as gospel. Think of the many titles that Warner has released on DVD that they never mentioned in any chat and we are grateful for those releases, but when it comes to more prestigious titles like Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet, they have legal problems to overcome, film elements to restore and extras to produce and although Warner are incredibly prolific, it all takes time, money and hard effort.

The way I see it, is that Warner will do what they want, but fortunately, they think like us and we'll get - more or less - what we want, but we shouldn't expect anything from them. Get on their back if they screw up a transfer or use a cut version of a film, but I just sit back and relax, safe in the knowledge that all good things comes to thems that wait...

9. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

With The Black Dahlia in production, I wouldn't be entirely surprised by a L.A. Confidential reprise, though.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If they want my double dip DVD money, they better hurry it up. If it comes out within the next 1/2 year I'll buy it for sure (assuming high quality of course). If it takes any longer, I'm going to wait for the HD version.

11. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

My guess is that they're planning on a 10th anniversary special edition in 2007.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    one thing's for sure. two man teams are punching the tickets on the mixter's muscle.

i'd love an se of la confidential.

CJ

13. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Hopefully the pilot for the TV series starring Keifer Sutherland (that was passed on and shown on Trio) is included in the SE.

14. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

I'm just excited that a new version is coming so I can replace my current tattered edition. The idea of including that pilot is an excellent idea. I'm hoping for a fully stocked 2-disc set, personally...

15. Paul Borges

Paul Borges Stunt Coordinator

I think they will release this as an early HD title with a mirror DVD edition. Just like they seem to be doing with the Green Mile. Just my guess! [​IMG]