Léon / The Professional question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_E, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

I caught this movie again on Bravo the other day and had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it. Great Portman/Reno dynamic and a gorgeous score by Eric Serra... anyway, here's the question:

I know next to nothing about drugs, so does anybody have any guesses about what the pills that Stansfield was popping were? The yellow and green ones?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Vitamin B12? It has a kick!

Really, his behavior suggests to me that he is dry popping (no water) some kind of numbing depressant. He doesn't feel his arm wound and is quite sedate both during and after gunfights.

3. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Alex: You are right about Stansfield being very sedate (read: drugged up) before, during and after shootouts. He maintains this attitude, albeit with the occasional outburst (e.g. "Look what you did!!" and "EVERYONE!!!") throughout most of the film.

I think it's especially noticeable when he encounters Mathilda in the bathroom, and at the very end of the film ("At your service," and even his final word). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a drug that would have this effect. And is his neck-craning thing when he pops those pills just some weird tic of his, is he struggling to dry-mouth the pill, or is the drug affecting him immediately?

On an unrelated note, if anybody has any other opinions or comments, I'd love to have some discussion about this film. I couldn't find much about it when I did a search (considering professional is a pretty common word).

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

5. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Chuck: Thanks very much - I honestly think I need to learn how to use the search function better. I never seem to find what I'm looking for.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Eric
    I saw it was on Bravo, it was probably the US version; you should check out the other (Europeon) version if you haven't. It adds maybe 5 to 10 minutes to the picture but really changes the feel to it.

7. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Yeah, the restorant scene with drunk Matilda is excellent, I so hoped the extended cut would have more scenes of them together, and that's exactly what it ads!
    Watching it on Bravo? Shame on you, buy the DVD!

8. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't Bravo edit their movies for adult content? And don't get me started on the commercial breaks.

9. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hey, back off, I was just watching it because there was nothing else on, and it caught my attention. And as soon as I was done watching it, I strolled over to the computer and ordered the director's cut. So there. :p) Can't wait to see the extra footage, since I always thought the Leon/Mathilda dynamic was the most fascinating aspect of the film.

10. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Easy there, gunpowder. Actually, I'm guilty of the same behavior from time to time myself.:b

11. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

Heck yes, the restaurant scence totally rocked. Homegirl should've gotten an oscar nod for that alone. And what's cool about the extra footage is that it's integrated into the movie itself and not those lame bonus scenes like the Pulp Fiction collector's edtion.

12. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen

13. DavidGT

Uhh Houston...I think we have a misunderstanding.
    Yes I KNOW the extra footage is in Leon and not The Professional. And I repeat...it's in the movie itself and bonus scene selections.
    If you have the recenlty 16X9 Pulp Fiction CE, there are bonus(deleted scenes) that were NOT in the director's cut.
    You have to access them in the menu separate from the movie itself. And if you have seen them, you can clearly see why Taratino cut them out...kinda weak dialouge and acting to me.
    On the other hand, all the extra footage in Leon were just excellent and pertainent to the story. eg the restaurant scene and the part where he takes her along on his jobs.

14. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

At least it didn't turn the flick into a snoozer, like Apocalypse Now Redux... About all I woulda left in was the stuff at the end with Kurtz.

15. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Wasn't it a snoozer before? :b

16. DavidGT

Yup, I would have to agree also. Thought it was just me all this time...interesting!

17. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

David,

The point was that Leon had those scenes originally (they were cut out of the US release) while this is not the case with Pulp Fiction where the scenes are truly a bonus and not part of an original release of the film.

18. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I've seen about ten fullscreen minutes of this film. What I saw was great, some really good atmosphere, great music.
    How's the rest of the film?
    Can somebody give me an in-depth "analysis/review" of the director's cut? Is it "deep," a la Fight Club? Is it complex, or is it a shallow action movie? How's the character and plot development? How's the directing, visual flair? script? Cinematography? pacing? What other director/movie does this most compare with? Was this movie shot in scope or flat AR?
    Is there suicide in this movie? (I was affected by a friend at a very young age, it's the only element in movies I find disturbing)

Any and all comments/opinions, etc. are hugely welcome. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this for quite some time now.
    Is this a dvd for me? (my favorite directors are Scorsese, Kubrick, Mann, Fincher, Stone, Spielberg, P.T. Anderson, Lynch, Kurosawa, Tarantino, and Soderbergh)

Regards,
    Nathan

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Its #66 on IMDb's Top 250 if that say anything.

I wouldn't give up any of the plot, but I will say it exemplifies "more than an action movie" more than any other film I can think of (excepting perhaps the also excellent La Femme Nikita by the same director). All of the items you have listed are accounted for in spades (in my opinion of course). It is also 2.35:1 and makes great use of the wide canvas. The terrible treatment of the pan and scan release was one of my primary reasons to convert to widescreen for all of my purchases (back in my less informed days).

I will say that the subject you find disturbing does arise, but I won't say how. However, it is used well within the context of the film itself.

20. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Nathan,

If I had to do an analysis of the film I'd call it an action movie (too many bodies to call it otherwise) with excellent character development and interesting questions of morality. It's hard to compare to another director's movies. The cinematography isn't grand in scope, ala Kurosawa's RAN, but is very good for this type of movie. Maybe bit closer to High and Low if we're keeping on a Kurosawa theme, very well edited and composed, but again it's hard to draw parallels. I think you'll like it. Everyone I've shown it to thinks it's a cut above most action movies they've seen, even if they don't appreciate it like I do.

Now for the most important question of the Thread.
    Where can I get those sunglasses?

Patrick