What's new

Léon: The Professional - "bombacut"? - Huh? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Okay, this is a weird one. I was watching the Léon: The Professional (Integral Version) DVD the other day, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what Willy Blood says to one of Stansfield's other men (the one who Mathilda's dad shoots in the back)
inside Mathilda's family's apartment. I checked the subtitles, and here's the exchange (according to the subtitles):

Willy (looking at record): Cool.
Other guy: What the fuck are you doing, huh?
Willy: Man, keep your bombacut mouth shut.

So, as you may have guessed, my question is, what does "bombacut" mean? I did a search on Google, but the only result I got was (hehe) a transcript and timing for the subtitles on the Léon DVD. I dug a little bit deeper, and tried searching with "bombacut" separated into two words.

What I found out was interesting, but who knows if it's relevant, or what. Apparently, in the documentary Shoah, there is an interview with a Holocaust survivor named Abraham Bomba, who cut prisoners' hair before they were sent to the gas chamber. Here are some links for more information:

http://www.class.uidaho.edu/thomas/H...a-comments.htm

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p244_Smith.html

But if Willy's line really is something to do with this, what does it mean? Is it supposed to somehow be anti-Semitic? I've never heard this expression before in my life, and I'm just venturing a guess about what it could possibly mean. If anybody has any explanations, please share, because I'm in the dark on this one.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I have a lot of friends from Jamaica and it is Bumba Clot. Other popular curses my friends use are Ras Clot and Blood Clot. Don't ask me what they mean.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I'm Jamaican, born and raised there and I've been known to have a pretty foul mouth so I think I'm kind of an expert on this subject. It's actually Bombo Clot. We pronounce certain words different from American and English people so certain words have different emphasis placed on them or are pronounced different ways. Bombo Clot has a few meanings since most cuss words in Jamaica can be used in place of each other.

Like Vlad said some people use Ras Clot, or P*ssy Clot, or one of my favorites as a kid Bombo P*ssy Ras Clot (Which is reserved for those times you're feeling extra vulgar) interchangeably. Depending on how you use it the words can mean certain things. Clot can also be replaced with Cleet so instead of saying Blood Clot or Bombo Clot you could say Blood cleet or bombo cleet and it would be perfectly acceptable.

For example if you just witnessed an accident, in America you would exclaim Oh shit, but in Jamaica you would hear someone say Bombo Clot in the same tone. But it can also be used the same way you would if you wanted to tell someone to shut their f*ckin mouth, which is what Willy did in Leon. He told the guy to shut his bombo clot mouth which is basically him telling the guy to shut his f*ckin mouth in Patois.

PS: Hope I don't get banned for all the expletives in this post. :b

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Léon is is a real favorite of mine, I once paid $130 for the LD. But, I saw it first! And I love finding out where words come from, so this is a great thread.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
The great thing about living in NYC is that you hear slang from all types of cultures everyday ... so figuring out these things in movies is no big deal.

I have this theory that you are not really an American until you can listen to a rap song and totally understand the references and nuances made in the lyrics :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is actually strange to me that people would not know what word is... I have been in the US only for 6 1/2 years, yet I knew that word within the first year. Aurel is right, NYC has a lot do with it.

Something I have never figured out and no one seems to know is what it means. Without knowing that, it's hard to realise it's a bad word until you get used to hearing it in that fashion. Having been around west indians a lot, I know that saying it in proper company is like saying "fuck". Yet, no one has ever been able to tell me if it's related to sex, religion, excrement, body part or any of the delicious things curse words are normally associated with. When I asked, I used to get "stop saying that!" - It really bothered them. I find it extrememly strange that a word considered extremely rude has no such connotation itself.

Paging Rex Bachman !!!! :)

--
Holadem

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I think it's worth mentioning that Léon was filmed a year after True Romance and I think there was some amount of Drexl Spivey in Stansfield.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Very cool. I always kind figured that was the jist of the covnersation, but now I know for sure!

Plus, I have a new cuss phrase to use!

Sweet!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

(Oh...and I just realized that I resurrected a 5 year old thread! Cool!)

Nickramus

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Ramus
I just researched this movie. It has been a while since I watched it and I finally bought the DVD w/subtitles and checked what William was saying. I have heard Jamaicans call another blood clot but only after reading this thread did I understand "bombo clot mouth" what great dialog!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks