What's new

Kyocera Receiver Repair? (1 Viewer)

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I'm trying to find someone who can repair or assist me in repairing a Kyocera R-661 receiver. The left channel seems to go on & off (mostly off lately.) I took a chance and bought a small septate amp thinking it was the amp. That didn't work, so I know it must be something simple in the pre-amp area. (I had the same problem with the separate amp hooked up.) Also, anyone with access or info on a service manual for this model. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am guessing this receiver has dials for the volume, tone, inputs, etc. It is most likely oxidation in one or more of those dials. The first thing to try is repeatedly turn each dial from one end to the other. When you do that with the offending dial, you will hear the sound kick in, and maybe out. sometimes just doing this repeatedly will clear things up. You can also try to shoot some contact cleaner in there (pull the dial off) and turn the dial. Sometimes it just won't go away though.

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
It has sliding volume controls. The rest are small dials. I will try your suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The good and bad thing about the sliding volume control are they are more open and may tend to oxidize more, but you can also shoot in contact cleaner. If you fee like trying, sometimes those dials are somewhat open in the back, which allows spraying contact cleaner if you take the top off the receiver.

BTW, this is a very common problem.

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
The only other question I have is other than ordering detoxit or some audio related contact cleaner online, what would be a readily available contact cleaner that I might find in a store, if any? Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, you don't need one of the overpriced specialty audio contact cleaners. Just something from RS or any electronics store. You want an aerosol one, so you can spray it into the controls.

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Should the contact cleaner be dry before powering up? I read somewhere it takes a while to dry. I found some Deoxit if that makes any difference. Thanks.

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Contact Cleaner worked! I now have another problem:

I have an older receiver (Kyocera R-661) that has been good to me for 22 years. Lately the circuit protection lights (mostly right channel) have been coming on. I either turn it way down or off. I'm running it at 2-3 on a volume scale of 10 when this happens. I used to be able to run it at 5 max because it was too loud higher than that setting. Anyway, what is going on when the peak indicator lights come on? I have checked my speaker connections and there are no stray wiries touching each other. Thanks for any info about this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What speakers are hooked up to the receiver? Have you changed them?

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I have had it hooked to some large Cantons, but when I saw the lights go on, I disconnected it. I tried running it was some small (8 ohm) Celestions. Same problem. I am currently running it with a separate amp with no issues. So it does seem to be an amp problem.??? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Beats me what is causing this. The amps just may be getting old, or the protection circuit is just malfunctioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks