What's new

Kylie Minogue catalogue - what to get? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have Fever and the Manchester DVD. I know I like some of the songs off Light Years, and Confide in Me, but am not as crazy about some of the other cuts I've heard on the Hits+ CD.

I guess I'm wondering how far back I can safely go for her dance stuff, and whether the "Kylie Minogue" album or the Impossible Princess renamed album is similar in style to Confide in Me.

Comments appreciated. Most of the albums are hard to find up here.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anything on the deConstruction label (i.e. "Impossible Princess," "Kylie Minogue") will be similar in style. This was when she was sort of "rebelling" against her squeaky-clean pop image as cultivated by PWL in the late 80's and early 90's. These albums had a more indie/grungy/rock feel than her earlier material or her current hits.

"Light Years" was a return to mainstream pop/dance after the unfortunate deConstruction years (I have all her albums except the deConstruction titles which I hate).

Her first three PWL albums are all grounded in hi-nrg pop/dance (as was all music produced by PWL :emoji_thumbsup: ). I believe most fans, myself included, feel that her third PWL album, "Rhythm of Love," was the pinnacle of her career before the explosion of "Fever." It moved to a slightly harder, more club-oriented feel than the earlier sugary pop. It also contained the signature singles "Better the Devil You Know," "What Do I Have to Do," "Shocked," and "Step Back in Time." If you like "Fever," you'll probably like "Rhythm of Love."

The fourth PWL album, "Let's Get To It," was sort of a stylistic bridge between the happy, poppy Kylie and the deConstruction albums. Not bad, but not one I listen to often.

There used to be a budget 3-pack of these albums available from Australia. Not sure if it's still in print or not. As an alternative, her "Greatest Hits" album from 1991 was re-issued in the UK last fall. This new package includes all the biggest hits from the first four PWL albums, three new tracks, and a second disc full of rare remixes.

My personal ranking of Kylie's discography:

1. Fever
2. Rhythm of Love
3. Light Years
4. Kylie
5. Enjoy Yourself
6. Let's Get To It
7. Kylie Minogue
8. Impossible Princess

If you like happy/disco/dance Kylie, stick with #1-5. If you want more indie/rock influences, you might like #7-8.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I agree with the "Rhythm of Love" recommendation. I'm near sick of the sight of Kylie Minogue (you'll likely hear this from Aussie HTF members much more than folks from elsewhere) but the singles on that particular album are pretty good. It's the end of her 'pop' period but pushed the craft and accomplishment up probably as high as it could go at that time. I know at least one Melbourne indie band - Hoova - who cover "What Do I Have To Do?" all the time, vocally replicating the trademark rising "Ooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeooooohhhhhhhhhh" synth prior to the chorus in amusing fashion.

The entire on Minogue at allmusic.com also rates her albums in detailed fashion, if you're after more info.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for the recommendations. There is pretty much nothing available locally other than Hits+, and I'm not a compilation fan, so I'll have to be resourceful. How is the production on the earlier albums? Is it as "slick" (for use of a better word) as Fever?

The one track that did stick out on the DVD was Confide in Me. Is the album that's from worth getting, and is it similar in style?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is it as "slick" (for use of a better word) as Fever?
Not exactly sure what you mean, but PWL output was often derisively referred to as manufactured, assembly-line pop. They had a template perfected and they stuck to it for the most part. I think it qualifies as "slick." And it sold millions and millions of copies, so lots of people liked it. If you liked (and can remember) "The Loco-Motion," you should like the early albums, and I think many of the album songs are even better than "The Loco-Motion."

Can't comment on the "Kylie Minogue" album (with "Confide in Me"), as I never bought it.

Ms. Minogue's first two albums, "Kylie" and "Enjoy Yourself" were both released in the US, so you may be able to find copies in used/secondhand shops. You might even still find "Kylie" in the record shops, as it was still in print as a "budget" line release not that long ago. It'll be harder to find anything between "Enjoy Yourself" and "Fever" as none of those albums had a US release.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
"Confide In Me" can be compared to Madonna's "Erotica", the song are danceable but with a heavier bass line, very mid 90's sound.

The tracks that stand out the cd are "Confide In Me, Limbo, Cowboy Style and Put Yourself In My Place".

I found the 2001 reissue used for $11.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Still dance, but not to the extent of "Light Years" and "Fever". It has a much more mellow groove, but it is still enjoyable to listen to.

Although Kylie may not have the strongest vocals, she does a really good job singing live in her concerts.

"Live In Sydney" and "KylieFever2002" are good examples that she can sing.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
She was just on Extra(?) a few weeks ago and she's in the process of finishing a new cd to be released later this year.

It's going to be a heavy trance album, infused with a lot of guitar.

Should be interesting how it does and if she'll be able to hitch a ride on her sister's success here in North America.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dannii has some past history in the US. I believe her debut single was a minor hit, and her debut album was released here as well. I think I owned a copy at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks