What's new

kvm switch recommendation required (1 Viewer)

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I can't find much rating info on the web about kvm switches. Any recommendations? I'm looking for 4 ports with usb capability. It's for our servers, so it has to be fairly reliable.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got a couple of the Belkin KVM's. Pretty nice for server use - msot of mine are older, thus not sure if they will degrade the video signal if you ran at high resolutions (1600x1200). But for general use, they are pretty sweet.

I'm probably going to get one of the new USB based ones, since I've got XP/2000 all around and it makes it so I only have to run one cable to do my switching.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I recommend Cybex/Avocent switches.

Belkins: they are decent but often "shadow" at high resolutions. The keyboard shortcuts are very difficult (ctrl-alt-shift, then 1 + Enter). Some even switch the audio but I know nothing of the quality of this feature.

Linksys: suffer the same "shadow" problem but even worse than the Belkins.

Cybex: I've been using one of these for the past year. Great product. Keyboard shortcuts are "ctrl-ctrl A Enter" for the 4 port KVMs and just "ctrl-ctrl" for the 2 port ones. I've never seen this thing shadow like I have with the Belkin I've got. The only bad thing about the keyboard shortcut is that if you're a gamer and tend to use the ctrl key a lot (to fire a weapon or whatever) you may find yourself inadvertantly switching screens.

In any case, check Ebay. I should have a Cybex Switchview 4port KVM and 2 sets of cables arriving today that only cost me $50. My next purchase will be an 8 port Cybex AutoView Commander that includes onscreen display. I've seen them go on ebay for under $100.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I have a Belkin Omicube 4-Port and I get no visual degredation whatsoever (I run two PCs at 1154 res). The trick is to use good cabling. Belkin make their own range of KVM cables. I use the 'Pro' series, which cost me abou £15 per set.

The key combination on the OmniCube is to hit Scroll Lock twice until the KVM makes a 'beep'. Then you just press 1,2,3 or 4 depending on the PC you wish to switch to. Or you can press the button on the front on the unit.

The only problem I've noticed is that sometimes the mouse gets 'lost'. Switching to the previous PC then back again solves it every time.

AllenD

Second Unit
My Belkin KVM2 is switching 2 HD sources. 1 is an STB at 960x540p. 2nd is an HTPC/MyHD w/powerstrip resolution set at 1920x1080i w/o degradation.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The belkin here at work must be an older one. If they work great for everyone else, then by all means check 'em out!

I don't want to make it seem I'm totally against them. I'm not, and with the keyboard shortcuts that Rob listed, it doesn't sound bad at all.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
So it sounds like Belkin or Cybex are the ones to check out. Thanks everyone. Dave...how is it possible to have only 1 usb cable going to each pc? I thought I would need 1 usb cable for the mouse, 1 for the keyboard, plus a regular video cable per machine.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I thought I would need 1 usb cable for the mouse, 1 for the keyboard, plus a regular video cable per machine.
My bad - I meant that I'm pretty sure with the SOHO line (Model F1DS104U for example) you only need one USB for the keyboard & mouse combined - still need a video cable of course since the bandwidth isn't sufficient for video. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but need to buy one to find out for sure.

Anyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks