KV27-FS100 or JVC AV27F703?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Jan 3, 2003.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at 27" TVs up to $550. I can't afford to spend any more than $550, so that nice 27" Samsung HDTV set from Best Buy is out of the question. I'm upgrading from a 20" Sony Wega and I think I've narrowed down my search to either the Sony KV27-FS100 or JVC AV27F703. Both are $500 at Circuit City so they fit my price range. After taking a look at both sets I personally thought the picture on the Sony looked better, but sometimes I have trouble making decisions like that in a store environment. I'd really just appreciate some opinions from people on these two TVs.
    They seem to have extremely similiar features based on what I've been reading and what the floorperson at CC said. Is there anything about either one I should know? Would anyone here recommend one over the other? Sorry for all the posts, but I'd hate to make a ~$500 purchase without being relatively well informed first. Thanks again. [​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello George,

I too am primarily considering these two sets. I needed a fill-in set to replace my old 27" GE ('90) which just died.
    Because this new set would be headed for the bedroom within a year or two, ultimate performance wasn't nearly that important. So I originally settled on the new JVC 27S33...liked it but soon took that back and got the JVC 27D303 for a little more. Like it even better, especially after tweaking the service menu color and greyscale values and correcting geometry. But the allure of the flatscreen is upon me and I fear temptation is too strong.

The Sony has tilt correction which can come in handy in certain cases. The set casing design is a bit bulky which I personally do not care for but otherwise the set is a superb choice. I believe CC just reduced the price to $480.
    The JVC for me is looking very probable as I have a JVC S-VHS VCR and a JVC DVD player and the remotes from the 'D' series TV's on up run everything in one convenient package. The set casing is more to my liking as well.

It is a difficult choice as both TV's have very similar picture quality and feature sets. The warranty is better with the JVC which is always important. In my case it will most likely come down to some non-sequitur like how easy it will be to move the darn thing around due to case design. Oh well.

Best of Luck.

3. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Unless things have changed recently, I believe that Sony and Samsung are the only manufacturers to sell 4:3 TV's in the U.S. that have the anamorphic squeeze function. My 27" Sony WEGA KV27-FS13 does the squeeze, and it makes a world of difference on anamorphic DVD's.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

clint the JVC can do the squeeze now...in fact its got a button right on the remote to do it where as the Sony's is burried in the menu's. I was looking at the 32" models and ended up with the Sony...mostly becasue the JVC wasn't in stock and I hate to wait for anything once I've made my mind up[​IMG] Anyway the only thing the JVC had over the Sony was the easier access to the squeeze mode and since I can program a macro for that it came down to comfort, image quality, availability and resale value. As good as the JVC is there's no question which set will retain its value longer should we decided to upgrade in a few years.

5. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to try to go out and buy this week, but before I do - are there any other TVs in the price range anyone wants to recommend? At the very most I might be able to stretch my limit to $600, but $700 for that Samsung 27" HDTV at Best Buy is completely out of the question even though I'd love it. [​IMG]

6. Paul Clarke

Hello again George,
    Just got back from making the weekly $6.99 DVD run at Circuit City. Stopped by the showroom again and I have to say no matter what I did to equalize the pictures the Sony just flat outshined the JVC in picture quality. [​IMG] I was more than impressed...but man...that case is HUGE! Especially in the back...seems to almost take up a 32 incher's space. [​IMG]
    Good Luck.

7. lee.b

lee.b Stunt Coordinator

I'll chime in again with this thought. I was suggesting you look at the kv27300 but it was selling at $699. The circuit city website has cut the price down to about 688 or so.

As I mentioned earlier, this set is being discontinued. I purchased an out of box'er for$550 (flip panel broken..had to glue it at home). I would just suggest that you see if circuit city, or others, have any display models that are discounted down to 600. If so, it's a great purchase. Remember, if you see one discounted as an open box..don't just take the 'asked for' price at face value - ask for the store manager (as I did) to make the price attractive so you can take it home with you.

8. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Also, with CC inventory coming up in a few days, most managers really want to get rid of open boxes. YMMV, of course, but this is one of the few times my manager is willing to wheel and deal...

Me

9. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Hey Paul, I picked up one of the JVC AV27D303 sets at CC and would like to know how to get into the service menus. Did it make much difference after your adjustments?

10. Paul Clarke

Karl,
    Apologies for the delay...I lost track of this thread. To enter the Service Menu on any 'D' series press Sleep Timer which will show '0' and then simultaneously press Display and Video Status. PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE ANY VALUE WITHOUT MAKING A WRITTEN RECORD OF THE FACTORY SETTINGS.[​IMG] The Video Status settings already available on the remote can all be reset to factory by pressing '0' while being displayed.[​IMG]
    Most changes to the factory settings are small in nature unless the set is just badly adjusted. A test disc such as Avia will show how well grayscale has been calibrated. The various settings including Theater Pro will change this value accordingly. Some have said that this feature (Theater Pro) is useless but I have found that it's High setting is quite pleasing after some minor tweaking. A lot depends on what is being sourced...in my case Comcast analog cable (soon to be digital---or I may go with Digital dish). When you have as much noise, herringbone and cross channel interference as my cable company delivers[​IMG], a smooth, vibrant yet less detailed picture is seriously in order.