Kurosawa's The Lower Depth from Criterion in August

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, Jun 6, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

from todays http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Great news for Kurosawa fans! Criterion has just added the director's The Lower Depths to their August DVD release slate (SRP $39.99)! The disc will include a new high-definition digital transfer (original aspect ratio 1.33:1), audio commentary featuring Kurosawa expert Donald Richie (author of A Hundred Years of Japanese Cinema), the original theatrical trailer, a new essay by Keiko McDonald (author of From Book to Screen: Modern Japanese Literature in Films) and Thomas Rimer (author of A Reader's Guide to Japanese Literature), cast biographies by Stephen Prince (author of The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa) and new and improved English subtitle translation by renowned Japanese-film translator Linda Hoaglund.

Fantastic news indeed

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    [​IMG]

Great cover art as well [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Great news! [​IMG]

I wonder what other Criterion titles are being released in August? The Devil And Daniel Webster?

Gordy

4. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I am so glad this one is getting an SE treatment (personally I think all of Kurosawa's films deserve it!).

I love how they get different contributions on each disc from Michael Jeck, Donald Richie, and Stephen Prince all three's contributions are more than welcome. Hopefully someday they revisit Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low, and The Hidden Fortress and give them some love!

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'll probably pick this up despite being bored stiff by it during my initial viewing years ago. Thanks to Criterion for giving me the opportunity to revisit it! [​IMG]

*cough* Stray Dog, please! *cough*

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

As happy as I am to see any Kurosawa title, I must confess that I'm more excited about Criterion's other August release, Vittorio De Sica's Terminal Station (Stazione Termini).

For decades, this film has only been available in the truncated American version Indiscretion Of An American Wife which is missing twenty minutes of footage cut by the American producer, David O. Selznick (Gone With The Wind). Now, Criterion promises us both versions including De Sica's European cut.

It would be sweet if Criterion could get Jennifer Jones to do an audio commentary describing the often turbulent American/Italian co-production but I fear the reclusive actress doesn't do interviews or commentaries or I'm sure Fox would have nabbed her for the recent Song Of Bernadette DVD.

7. Eric Meske

Eric Meske Stunt Coordinator

As a lover of all things Kurosawa, I'll definately pick this up even though I've never seen it before.

For that matter, before DVD I had never seen a Kurosawa picture. Criterion is the company responsible for that.[​IMG]

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I continue to wait for Ikiru and Record Of A Living Being, but any Kurosawa is welcome.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The other title coming in August is (...wait for it!) The Ingmar Bergman Trilogy boxset, but don't worry Gordon - Jon Mulvaney said that The Devil and Daniel Webster would be released this year.

Now, this is a pretty bizarre name Criterion have chosen, because what they really mean is his Trilogy of Faith, ie. The Silence, Through A Glass Darkly and Winter Light. It's going to be $79.95 and specs are being finalised, hence its absence from Criterion's site for the time being.

You can see the preliminary specs here at Home Vision's website: http://www.homevision.com/film.php?id=BER130

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It now appears that The Lower Depths has been delayed until late 2003 or early 2004, so Criterion can "add more content to the release". Sounds good to me!

I certainly know what I'd wish for!