What's new

Kurosawa's Rhapsody in August (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Who owns the rights to Akira Kurosawa's Rhapsody in August? My VHS copy was distributed by Orion. Just curious as I'd love to see this on DVD.

Anyone else want to see it?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It would appear to be MGM. They control all or most of the Orion library, and if you look up the film on IMDB, there is a picture of what looks to be a relatively new MGM VHS box with the "World Film" label.

Kurosawa is my favorite director so I will purchase any DVD's that are put out. I haven't seen this film, but would love to have a good DVD.

I don't think MGM has put out any World films since March, in addition to this, they also have the rights to several Ingmar Bergman films that I'd love to get.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wish someone would do Kurosawa box set packaging like the Japanese box sets for the Criterion discs. Wow
Paul C's box is kinda weak next to it ;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Brook, Rhapsody in August is well worth seeing. It didn't garner much critical acclaim, but I like it. It's not an epic like Kagemusha or Ran, but is instead a quiet and reflective film. I believe it is also the only Kurosawa film to feature a major American actor (Richard Gere, in a small role). Here's hoping for a DVD release in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks