Kurosawa's RAN - Is there a better version on its way?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I just rented the current Fox Lorber DVD of Akira Kurosawa's magnificent epic Ran. What a terrific film but what a horrible DVD.
Are there any plans from a legitimate DVD studio to give this film the treatment it deserves?
Will Criterion ever get the rights for this?
Jim

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont remember what company it is, but one had made comments about Ran.It may be in one of the older Studio Chat transcripts.There was some news on possible revisiting this title with the newer transfer. It had played in theaters about 6 months back and I believe a new transfer was made.

I also have seen a longer directors cut going on ebay from time to time.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've been waiting patiently for a reissue of Ran.
I also want Kagemusha and Dreams...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
if i remember correctly for a while it looked like some *cool* studio like Artisan or new line was gonna get the rights and do up a nice new 16x9 disc. But then Fox L. said they wanted to keep the rights and do it again themselves...and the "promised" to do it right.

So now it's back to trembling with fear as we wait to see how bad the next incarnation is on DVD...

-dave

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Winstar Home Video (aka Fox Lorber) chat with Maryann Manelski occured on August 15,2000. It is archived here. Here are some of the relevant quotes w.r.t. Ran
16:9 I promise! We will also definitely have a commentary track - possibly more than one. The film was redone for our theatrical release. See: www.ran2000.com or www.winstarcinema.com

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...I believe it was ANCHOR BAY that had their hands on RAN briefly-you know it would have been First-Class, and out 9 months ago had AB kept it.... and WINSTAR...are you waiting for HI-DEF television to come around, or what? August 2000 is a loooong time ago...with no announcement of a proposed DVD in sight.

Come to think of it, none of the films I have by them are that great, or are 16:9-

...SWEPT AWAY could sure use it..

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Yes, this was a title that had been in a chat with Anchor Bay, only to be pulled from their release list a few months later due to Winstar thinking that they could do the DVD right.

I did get to see the 15th Anniversary print, and it was great, but the DVD is nowhere in sight.

I had hoped that Criterion would jump on this title, but they couldn't unfortunately.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
and WINSTAR...are you waiting for HI-DEF television to come around, or what? August 2000 is a loooong time ago...with no announcement of a proposed DVD in sight.
Come to think of it, none of the films I have by them are that great, or are 16:9-
...SWEPT AWAY could sure use it..
Don't hold your breath. Winstar filed for bankrupcy. Fox-Lorber was allegedly sold to a couple of businessmen, what their plans are, who knows.
F-L actually did release a copule of 16:9 titles, but on the one that has been extensively discussed here, Yi, Yi the results were simply awful, so even 16:9 comming from F-L may not be anything good. My main hope is those guys just sell off F-L's film rights to Anchor Bay & Criterion and go into a different line of work.
Ted

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...whats kind of odd is that recently Ive spotted white Ford Vans that sport the same WINSTAR typeface and logo as on the Video webpage...and with WA plates...

and I will never forget their horrible L'Enfer...it did look like pixel-block Hell-I went thru 3 copies...then gave up.

I hope they have the good sense to sell their catalog library to AB or Criterion...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16