Kurosawa's RAN - Is there a better version on its way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I just rented the current Fox Lorber DVD of Akira Kurosawa's magnificent epic Ran. What a terrific film but what a horrible DVD.
    Are there any plans from a legitimate DVD studio to give this film the treatment it deserves?
    Will Criterion ever get the rights for this?
    Jim

2. David Meek

David Meek Extra

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I dont remember what company it is, but one had made comments about Ran.It may be in one of the older Studio Chat transcripts.There was some news on possible revisiting this title with the newer transfer. It had played in theaters about 6 months back and I believe a new transfer was made.

I also have seen a longer directors cut going on ebay from time to time.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've been waiting patiently for a reissue of Ran. [​IMG] I also want Kagemusha and Dreams...

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

if i remember correctly for a while it looked like some *cool* studio like Artisan or new line was gonna get the rights and do up a nice new 16x9 disc. But then Fox L. said they wanted to keep the rights and do it again themselves...and the "promised" to do it right.

So now it's back to trembling with fear as we wait to see how bad the next incarnation is on DVD...

-dave

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Winstar Home Video (aka Fox Lorber) chat with Maryann Manelski occured on August 15,2000. It is archived here. Here are some of the relevant quotes w.r.t. Ran

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...I believe it was ANCHOR BAY that had their hands on RAN briefly-you know it would have been First-Class, and out 9 months ago had AB kept it.... and WINSTAR...are you waiting for HI-DEF television to come around, or what? August 2000 is a loooong time ago...with no announcement of a proposed DVD in sight.

Come to think of it, none of the films I have by them are that great, or are 16:9-

...SWEPT AWAY could sure use it..

8. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Yes, this was a title that had been in a chat with Anchor Bay, only to be pulled from their release list a few months later due to Winstar thinking that they could do the DVD right.

I did get to see the 15th Anniversary print, and it was great, but the DVD is nowhere in sight.

I had hoped that Criterion would jump on this title, but they couldn't unfortunately.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

10. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...whats kind of odd is that recently Ive spotted white Ford Vans that sport the same WINSTAR typeface and logo as on the Video webpage...and with WA plates...

and I will never forget their horrible L'Enfer...it did look like pixel-block Hell-I went thru 3 copies...then gave up.

I hope they have the good sense to sell their catalog library to AB or Criterion...