What's new

Kurosawa's Pulse and Gowariker's Lagaan (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
At this year's Toronto Film festival, two movies really stuck with me: Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse and Ashutosh Gowariker's Lagaan. I was wondering if there's a DVD release for either of these films overseas. I would love to them!

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...easily available ... and horribly expensive, too!...
. . .
redface.gif
. . .

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...no no no... I meant the $40 simple disc (and people whine because CC discs are 'sooo expensive'!...) - that's a lot more than I, for one, am willing to pay - I'll just wait until it shows up on one of the HK labels...
. . .
wink.gif
. . .

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I bought the R2 Japanese import, which was expensive. I watched and was disappointed. I don't understand all the hype behind this movie. The problem wasn't Japanese or culture since I have lived in japan and speak the language fluently.
I would wait for R3 HK release which will be considerably cheaper.

Michael_N

Auditioning
True. K. Kurosawa is an acquired taste and I can understand how his films will not appeal to everyone. Approach with caution if you're not familiar with his other work.

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of Kurosawa's other work, has anyone gotten the boxed set? What movies are included in the set? The only Kurosawa movie I've seen is Pulse, and I loved it. I want to get see more, but nothing is released in R1. The boxed set is very tempting for this reason, but I want to know what movies are included and if the DVDs have good image and sound quality.
Are there any reviews for these Kiyoshi Kurosawa DVDs out there?
If I had to guess(based on the Daiei Studios production company), I would say the movies(asided from Pulse) included were: Kyua(Cure), Hebi no michi(Serpent's Path), and Ningen gokaku(License to Live). I just wanna make sure. :)

Michael_N

Auditioning
I don't have the box set (as some of the films included have no subtitles) but I do have CURE, LICENCE TO LIVE and CHARISMA (all w/subs and all available from cdjapan). CURE has been released in US and is making rounds around the country right now so chances are domestic DVD is forthcoming. LTL might be my favorite Kurosawa's film although a lot of people thinking of K. as of mainly genre director seem disappointed by it (it's a story about a twenty something guy who wakes up from a 10 years long coma). CHARISMA on the other hand, while interesting subjectwise , seemed a bit pretentious. I 've seen SEANCE, SERPENT'S PATH and EYES OF THE SPIDER in a theater and would highly recommend all to whoever has a chance to see them.
For more info on Kurosawa and other cool Japanese films check out: http://www.midnighteye.com/index.php

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Michael. Looks like the box set is out of the picture(for me)with some of them not having subtitles. Are the DVDs you have of good quality, or would it be better to wait for a better DVD to be released?
thanks

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Michael, thanks for the link to a great web site. While not a great fan of Kairo, I do enjoy Japanese films quite a bit. It was interesting to read that "Sweet Home" was directed by Kurosawa. I never saw it, but I remember that this was based on a videogame of the same title for the original 8 bit Nintendo system. The game was quite good at the time (88 or 89?)
------------------

Michael_N

Auditioning
The quality of Japanese releases is pretty good considering most of KK films are low budget affairs. Once again it needs to be said that his films will not appeal to everyone but isn't this a case with most truly interesting filmmakers? Cassavetes once said that people hate his films while watching them. But twenty years later those are the films that the same people still remember while the fluffy entertainment so easily digested in cinema is long forgotten.
http://www.projecta.net/kurosawa.html

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
David,
Lagaan will release in North America on 22 Jan 2002. You can pre-order from Amazon.com.
Lagaan
Rajiv...

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Rajiv,
You just made my day!!!! Lagaan was my favorite film at this year's film festival!
YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks