What's new

Kurosawa/Mifune Retrospective in Chicago! (& more) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the schedule for the Music Box here in Chicago and was delighted to see this.
According to the flyer, these are all new 35mm prints, with new translations and subtitles.
Oct. 25-27:
Throne of Blood
Oct. 26-27 (theater 2, 11:30am only):
Drunken Angel
Oct. 28:
Stray Dog
Oct. 29:
Rashomon
Oct. 30-31:
Yojimbo
Nov. 1-3:
Hidden Fortress
Nov. 2-3 (theater 2, 11:30am only):
I Live In Fear
Nov. 4:
The Bad Sleep Well
Nov. 5:
Sanjuro
Nov. 6-7:
High & Low
Nov. 8 (running for 2 weeks):
Seven Samurai
Nov. 9-10 (theater 2, 11:30am only):
Red Beard
Kudos to the Music Box, the only theater in Chicago that regularly plays older films as well as new arthouse releases, as well as 70mm (they played 2001: ASO and Lawrence of Arabia). Some upcoming titles:
In Praise of Love
Hell House
Jaws
Blithe Spirit
The Exorcist
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Songs From the Second Floor
Nosferatu (1922)
The Bride of Frankenstein
Quitting
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
The Magnificent Seven
Night of the Demon
Freaks
Seven Days in May
Village of the Damned
The Train
The Night of the Hunter
Seconds
The Trials of Henry Kissinger
Alias Betty
And...
Nov. 29 (for one week):
The Manchurian Candidate (40th Anniversary, New 35mm print)
(disclaimer: no, I don't work for the Music Box. God, I WISH! I doubt I'll be able to see any of the movies listed above, but I hope others get some use out of the schedule. I know some people are willing to travel for these kinds of Retrospectives.)

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
The Kurosawa/Mifune fest is about to hit San Francisco as well -- it's starting a run at the Castro beginning this coming Friday.
I got to see SEVEN SAMURAI today at the Mill Valley Film Festival -- my first time seeing it on the big screen. It was, of course, delighting and amazing. :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Arghh, I can't do that drive day after day, nor can I stay up there.
I wish more of these were playing on the same day so that I could do like 3 in one shot. :frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the festival comes to Chicago just as it finishes in Boston. I'm enjoying it, although the Brattle just did Kurosawa/Mifune last year.

George See

Second Unit
I caught some of the Kurosawa/Mifune Retrospective locally just last week...good stuff definently worth checking out. The new prints looked pretty darn good. I haven't watched the origionals in awhile so I can't really comment on the subtitles.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I hate, hate, hate you all!!!!!! ;)
Seriously, the only Kurosawa film I've ever seen on the big screen was Seven Samurai, and that was back in 1983... *sigh*... NOTHING good ever comes to Miami. :frowning:
If I had to choose one, I'd see Throne of Blood. I think it's Kurosawa most visually stunning film. And it's a phenomenal movie to boot.
*sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks