What's new

Kurosawa DVDs? (2 Viewers)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen anything around here on these in a while:
Kurosawa's films were to be released on DVD? What's the skinny? I found some on amazon.com but are they supposed to be remastered / re-released? Will there be a box set of some sort? I eagerly look forward to owning Yojimbo, Roshomon, and Seven Samurai.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I understand there is to be a boxset of the samurai stuff (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, maybe Hidden Fortress), but these wille be the same transfers... no remasters.

I highly recommend both "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon". Brilliant discs, both. I love the film "Yojimbo", but the transfer isn't exactly stellar. Likewise "Sanjuro". Likewise "High and Low". I'm not that crazy about "The Hidden Fortress" as a movie - it's fun, but not particularly memorable and certainly not among his greatest - but the transfer is wonderful.

"Ran" will be rereleased in the Fall by Wellspring (formerly Fox Lorber) as a "Masterworks Edition", and also as part of a limited edition boxset (including the already released "Madadayo" and "Kurosawa" documentary). It should prove to be quite an improvement, though given Wellspring's work on their "Masterworks edition" of "The Merchant of Four Seasons", I doubt we're talking reference quality. Wellspring sacrificed quite a lot of space on their single-disc "Merchant" release for extras, and you can really tell a difference between that transfer and their bare-bones "Fox and His Friends" disc. The latter is transferred at a much higher bitrate and quite obviously looks much better than "Merchant". Hopefully, Wellspring will use a second disc for whatever extras are to be included on "RAN", and utilize all disc one capacity for the transfer of the film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The previous posts are correct.
Seven Samurai, Roshomon, Yojimbo,Sanjiro,The Hidden Fortress,Red Beard are all available from Criterion.

Also a limited edition of Ran exclusively through amazon next month as well.

All are excellent and well worth picking up. They are a bit expensive though - around $36 a piece.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dersu Uzala is also available from Image. I'd like to pick it up but it's a bit pricey at about $35.00 and I've heard the transfer isn't that great. Anyone have this? Comments?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Those are the Mei Ah discs at HKFlix. You don't want them, the transfer and translation are awful

If you have cash, and are fluent in Japanese, Toho has some LOVELY box sets

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, this is second post on this forum and the first day i've posted. I have been lurking for months and must say this forum got me hooked into DVDs and Home Theater. After reading and searching for months i absolutely have never posted a question on this forum becuase i literaly don't have any after searching for all my questions. Anyways, i guess to my point...
I just saw the Seven Samurai after reading a review at the Digital Bits not too long ago. :)
I am a college student and this is my first time seeing this movie. The Criterion version to be exact. At first i thought the scene at the beginning of the film in the village was a too overdramatic, and then for about 15 minutes i was like i don't think i'll make it through this movie...but then i was hooked! I must say if this movie came out today in America minus a few scenes it would be a huge hit. Didn't this movie come out in like 1954 or something!
I could have posted this in a seperate topic but since its about Kurosawa, and i saw Jeff from the Bits i had to reply.
So yeah, get the Criterion version of the Seven Samurai, i am!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Image's Dersu is on the soft side, is faded, and has a fair amount of print damage. Ruscico is supposed to be issuing a new edition soon that, like most of their stuff, will probably be clean but processed and have a dicey 5.1 track. A 5.1 track could work well for Dersu if done correctly, but it's a very much a mood piece with heavy emphasis on environmental sounds, so the movie could easily be spoiled by an overcooked track or the wrong sound emphasis.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Both Rashomon & Seven Samurai are great dvd editions from www.criterionco.com while the best dvd of Yoijimbo is from R2 from www.bfi.org.uk.
Correct me if I am wrong
You're wrong, at least on Yojimbo. The reviews I've read of the R2 Yojimbo agree pretty much without deviation that it looks like VHS. The Criterion is nonanamorphic and in the wrong AR but so is the R2. These defects aside it looks pretty good. However, you may still want to hold off on it since a number of Kurosawa films will be given DVD re-releases next year in Japan. No details beyond that yet but it's probably worth waiting to find out.
I see no harm in getting Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Red Beard or The Hidden Fortress, though, since I really don't see the Japanese releases being better than what Criterion has done with them.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jean Michel

thanks for the comment about Yoijimbo, I was under the impression that the r2 was the best

oscar

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
Any word, announcement, rumor, speculation, or psychic experiences with regards to a Dreams disc that looks half-decent. I know chances are slim from the WB, but maybe region 2, or 3?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I think Dersu Uzala is already available. I ordered it from Ruscico last week.
All of the Mei Ah discs are Full screen too. Thats OAR for some of them but not all.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies.

It looks like getting the Criterions are the way to go. But $36? Ouch! I think I just had a wallet-cramp.

It's a shame the Yojimbo hasn't gotten the Criterion treatment. I'll hold off on it, but I never saw it and was very interested in it because it's supposed to be the story that A Fist Full of Dollars is based on.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Dersu Uzala said:
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but remember that Amazon has outrageously high prices. The places for Criterions are DeepDiscountDVD.com & DVDPlanet.com -- also learn to use and love DVDPriceSearch.com
Lastly, I don't think anyone mentioned that Criterion is about to release a 4 DVD Kurusawa box, which would probably be a more economical way to obtain Yojimbo, Sanjuru, Seven Samurai & Hidden Fortress
Ted

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
However, you may still want to hold off on it since a number of Kurosawa films will be given DVD re-releases next year in Japan. No details beyond that yet but it's probably worth waiting to find out.
Actually, none of Kurosawa's films were released in Japan until VERY recently. They're releasing all his films in 3 box sets, the first comes out in October. Sorry, no english subs, and if you think Criterion is expensive... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks