Kurosawa DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Haven't seen anything around here on these in a while:
    Kurosawa's films were to be released on DVD? What's the skinny? I found some on amazon.com, but are they supposed to be remastered / re-released? Will there be a box set of some sort? I eagerly look forward to owning Yojimbo, Roshomon, and Seven Samurai.

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Both Rashomon & Seven Samurai are great dvd editions from www.criterionco.com while the best dvd of Yoijimbo is from R2 from www.bfi.org.uk.
    Correct me if I am wrong
    oscar

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I understand there is to be a boxset of the samurai stuff (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, maybe Hidden Fortress), but these wille be the same transfers... no remasters.

I highly recommend both "Seven Samurai" and "Rashomon". Brilliant discs, both. I love the film "Yojimbo", but the transfer isn't exactly stellar. Likewise "Sanjuro". Likewise "High and Low". I'm not that crazy about "The Hidden Fortress" as a movie - it's fun, but not particularly memorable and certainly not among his greatest - but the transfer is wonderful.

"Ran" will be rereleased in the Fall by Wellspring (formerly Fox Lorber) as a "Masterworks Edition", and also as part of a limited edition boxset (including the already released "Madadayo" and "Kurosawa" documentary). It should prove to be quite an improvement, though given Wellspring's work on their "Masterworks edition" of "The Merchant of Four Seasons", I doubt we're talking reference quality. Wellspring sacrificed quite a lot of space on their single-disc "Merchant" release for extras, and you can really tell a difference between that transfer and their bare-bones "Fox and His Friends" disc. The latter is transferred at a much higher bitrate and quite obviously looks much better than "Merchant". Hopefully, Wellspring will use a second disc for whatever extras are to be included on "RAN", and utilize all disc one capacity for the transfer of the film.

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Red Beard just came out from Criterion, too.

5. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

Did anyone see this 17 DVD Set over at HKFlix:
    http://www.hkflix.com/coupons/hkflix_02-08-20a/
    Is it worth a peek? I already have the Criterions of those released and included here, but some titles DO SEEM interesting - any opinions?
    Seb

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The previous posts are correct.
    Seven Samurai, Roshomon, Yojimbo,Sanjiro,The Hidden Fortress,Red Beard are all available from Criterion.

Also a limited edition of Ran exclusively through amazon next month as well.

All are excellent and well worth picking up. They are a bit expensive though - around $36 a piece.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dersu Uzala is also available from Image. I'd like to pick it up but it's a bit pricey at about $35.00 and I've heard the transfer isn't that great. Anyone have this? Comments?

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Those are the Mei Ah discs at HKFlix. You don't want them, the transfer and translation are awful

If you have cash, and are fluent in Japanese, Toho has some LOVELY box sets

9. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

Hi, this is second post on this forum and the first day i've posted. I have been lurking for months and must say this forum got me hooked into DVDs and Home Theater. After reading and searching for months i absolutely have never posted a question on this forum becuase i literaly don't have any after searching for all my questions. Anyways, i guess to my point...
    I just saw the Seven Samurai after reading a review at the Digital Bits not too long ago. [​IMG]
    I am a college student and this is my first time seeing this movie. The Criterion version to be exact. At first i thought the scene at the beginning of the film in the village was a too overdramatic, and then for about 15 minutes i was like i don't think i'll make it through this movie...but then i was hooked! I must say if this movie came out today in America minus a few scenes it would be a huge hit. Didn't this movie come out in like 1954 or something!
    I could have posted this in a seperate topic but since its about Kurosawa, and i saw Jeff from the Bits i had to reply.
    So yeah, get the Criterion version of the Seven Samurai, i am!

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Image's Dersu is on the soft side, is faded, and has a fair amount of print damage. Ruscico is supposed to be issuing a new edition soon that, like most of their stuff, will probably be clean but processed and have a dicey 5.1 track. A 5.1 track could work well for Dersu if done correctly, but it's a very much a mood piece with heavy emphasis on environmental sounds, so the movie could easily be spoiled by an overcooked track or the wrong sound emphasis.

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Jean Michel

thanks for the comment about Yoijimbo, I was under the impression that the r2 was the best

oscar

13. Tim Raffey

Tim Raffey Stunt Coordinator

Any word, announcement, rumor, speculation, or psychic experiences with regards to a Dreams disc that looks half-decent. I know chances are slim from the WB, but maybe region 2, or 3?

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I think Dersu Uzala is already available. I ordered it from Ruscico last week.
    All of the Mei Ah discs are Full screen too. Thats OAR for some of them but not all.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like getting the Criterions are the way to go. But $36? Ouch! I think I just had a wallet-cramp.

It's a shame the Yojimbo hasn't gotten the Criterion treatment. I'll hold off on it, but I never saw it and was very interested in it because it's supposed to be the story that A Fist Full of Dollars is based on.

16. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Yojimbo and Sanjuro are both availble from Criterion.

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but remember that Amazon has outrageously high prices. The places for Criterions are DeepDiscountDVD.com & DVDPlanet.com -- also learn to use and love DVDPriceSearch.com
    Lastly, I don't think anyone mentioned that Criterion is about to release a 4 DVD Kurusawa box, which would probably be a more economical way to obtain Yojimbo, Sanjuru, Seven Samurai & Hidden Fortress
    Ted

18. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

DVD Planet has an ongoing 35% off sale on all Criterions.