What's new

Kung Pow says it is 16x9 enhanced on the box.......... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
But it is not. One thing I can think of. Is the movie not supposed to fill the screen anyway? Like...the black bars aren't really "regular" black bars...but there on purpose since it is spoofing the movie... on all of the other screens..including the fbi warning..they are all framed right...just the movie is off.
Am I making any sense?:frowning:
Further example...when watching it in the theater...were there still black bars on the top and bottome of the THEATER SCREEN? That would account for it too. MIght be on purpose?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I'm not sure that I understand what you're getting at, but the disc is anamorphic according to DVDFile's review:
"Kung Pow is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, and kudos must go to Oedekerk and Fox for the excellent balance between the original film and the newly added material. The original has been cleaned up just enough to still look old but not decrepit, and the new scenes have been tattered so that they blend very well. That said, there are a fair amount of nicks and scratches but it only enhances the effect. Color saturation is good and fleshtones relatively accurate. Blacks are fairly dark if not perfect and contrast acceptable. The level of detail is also impressive given the aged look of the film; in general the image is a tiny bit on the soft side, but in a good way. And I was never distracted by any digital edge enhancement. Not bad a bad transfer at all, and the desired effect has certainly been achieved."
You know that 2.35:1 anamorphic DVDs will still have black bars on your 16x9 set, right? 2.35:1 anamorphic DVDs are not supposed to fill your 16x9 screen.
DJ

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Nope, but it IS the first anamorphic one I have watched on my new rptv. Oops... I am dumb. Please forgive me:D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
No problem Jeff. This is how we all figure this stuff out...NOTHING is intuitive about home-theater...especially when you start talking 16x9 and aspect ratios!
-dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks