What's new

Kundun dvd, super wide aspect? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
I was viewing kundun last night for the first time, and noticed that the aspect ratio is very wide, making the image take up barly 50% of my 100" screen. What strange aspect ratio is this movie, that makes it so much different then for example lord of the rings which still has black bars, but still retaining 75% of the screen.

Thanks!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Kundun (1997) is the same aspect as LOTR, 2.35:1. Only thing I can think of is that the dvd isn't anamorphic.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I'm absolutely dying for a new Kundun DVD.
Having said that, I have seen a non-anamorphic transfer hold up to anamorphic transfers on my 50" LCD Sony. The one I'm referring to is Criterion's Armageddon.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

you've got your projector in 16x9 (full) mode which stretches the image wide...and Kundun sadly is not 16x9 encoded so it's taking the 4x3 lbx image and just stretching it fatter.

As others have mentioned, you need to use the zoom mode on your PJ (or DVD player?) that accomodates 4x3 lbxed presentations.

BTW, though not as good as a reference 16x9 transfer, as others have stated this non-anamorphic DVD is very watchable. The biggest flaw is a bit of EE. Who knows, the way Miramax is these days, even if they re-released it in 16x9 it would be so over-filtered and riddled with EE it probably wouldn't look any better...and might even look worse...grrr....

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Australian (Region 4, PAL) has a stunning anamorphic transfer. It also has some superb extras. Unfortunately, the sound is plain Dolby 2.0 stereo. Nevertheless, it is the best edition available.

Review here

Available here if you are intertesed: Kundun

I honestly doubt that we'll see a R1 SE from Miramax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks