What's new

Kudos to Universal for releasing some old Paramount Westerns (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to give Universal their due for doing a fine job on two films that were originally Paramount releases. Both of these westerns never looked better to my eyes. The first one was the original version of the "The Plainsman" starring Gary Cooper as Wild Bill Hickok, William Elliot as Buffalo Bill and Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane. This 1936 release looks very good and to be frank, it is a better looking dvd than I originally expected from Universal. The second release was "Whispering Smith" a western filmed in beautiful technicolor. The film stars Alan Ladd and Robert Preston and it was a pleasure seeing such a great dvd presentation of this film.

I still have the following Universal westerns to go through that have been recently released and I can only hope that these are of the same quality as the two dvds I already reviewed.
  • The Spoilers
  • When the Daltons Rode
  • Albuquerque
  • War Arrow

Crawdaddy

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I'll get The Plainsman, Whispering Smith and The Spoilers.
Maybe, When the Daltons rode will be part of my collection.
The noir film collection, Deanna Durbin sweetheart pack, A&C volume 1,2 and 3...Universal is taking a lot from my pockets.
Still waiting for a dvd release of Union Pacific, though I think it will be part of a Cecil B. DeMille collection (hope it will be one).
Also dreaming of a Cladudette Colbert dvd collection (The Gilded Lily, BlueBird's Eightth Wife, Midnight, Zaza, Arise my love, The Palm Beach Story, No time for love, So Proudly we hail).

At last, also hoping to get these pictures on dvd: The Major and the Minor and the rest of Billy Wilder's movies, Remember the Night, Hold the Back Dawn, Easy Living, Desire (1936), Angel, I wanted wings, Virginia, Forest Rangers (please!!!!!), Kitty, Take a letter darling, Lady in the dark, Frenchman's Creek, Back street, The Lady has plans, The Cat and the canary, Nothing but the truth, Standing room only, Unconquered, Kalifornia, Preston Sturges'Picures, Some Carole Lombard and Betty Hutton, More Crosby and Dietrich. And some Irene Dunne vehicles from the late 30's and early 40's.
More Deanna Durbin!!!! and More Noir!!! At these low prices I don't mind at all that Universal put all it's library out on the market!!!I'm getting most of it for sure.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal deserves applause for dipping into titles (ALBUQUERQUE, WHISPERING SMITH, and WHEN THE DALTONS RODE) that have no video precedent and that are not merely ported over from their VHS counterpart. Here's hoping--sorce rights permitting--that we will someday see on dvd (Deanna Durbin & Gene Kelly in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, Bob Hope and Betty Hutton in Cole Porter's LET'S FACE IT, and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, HIGH, WIDE, AND HANDSOME, MAN ABOUT TOWN, MISS TATLOCK'S MILLIONS, TOP 'O THE MORNING).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks