What's new

Kudos to the History Channel (1 Viewer)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Watched History vs. Hollywood last night. The topic was Operation Overlord (D-Day invasion of Normandy) and the film "The Longest Day."
First off, it was a treat to see the movie compared to actual events. They did not hold bcak any punches, when the movie was accurate, they gave credit, when it was inaccurate, they pointed that out too.
Here's the best part, whenever they showed a clip from the film, even a short clip just to show an actor, it was in the OAR of the film (2.35:1)!!!
Needless to say I was impressed.

John Chow

Second Unit
I caught a good part of this as well, and thought it was a very cool piece. I'll have to keep an eye on the rest of the History channel's Hollywood vs. History series, assuming they do other movies. I haven't actually seen the Longest Day, and don't normally watch the History channel, but found this piece to be very interesting.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It was an exceptionally well-made program and would make for an excellent supplement on a special edition.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was very impressed with this show. I have seen other "episodes" of Hollywood vs. History, but those shows mainly had a panel of historians speak. It was nice to have this show dominated with actual D-Day participants. It won't be long before there won't be anymore around. It is good to hear from these veterans while we can. Anyone interested in WW II history should watch the entire movie.

AnaDFrat

Agent
Sorry I missed this. Will check to see when it will be shown again.
I've read almost all of Steven Ambrose's books and this sounds like a must see.
Anyone here read Flags of our Fathers. I heard Spielberg was making this into a movie. Anyone know for sure?
Starting to read Ghost Soldiers.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Marty M,
I agree with you, it was good to see participants in D-Day on the show talking about their experiences and The Longest Day. Particularly interesting to me was the use of Gertman soldiers to tell their side and their point of view. The one German Corporal brought a tear to my eye, when he talked about how he felt that anyone who even stepped off of a landing craft that day was a hero. It is interesting to hear both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks