What's new

Kudos to Sony's customer service! (1 Viewer)

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Well, the final game from my Amazon.com PS2 bundle deal finally arrived last week. Much to my disappointment, the game (Contra) was CD-based as opposed to DVD-based. My PS2 has been having problems reading CD-based games for about 6 months now, and Contra was no exception. I put in the disc, nothing happens, and eventually I get a "Disc Read Error" message. I purchased my PS2 at launch (about 2 years ago now), and it is long out of warranty.

Skeptical, I called Sony's customer service number tonight and described my problem. After going through some basic troubleshooting questions, the rep told me that given the nature of my problem and the fact that I purchased my PS2 at launch, he was authorized to waive the repair fee (normally about $120) if I sent the console to a Sony Service Center. He gave me detailed instructions on what to include in the package, as well as shipping and turnaround time information.

I know that Sony sometimes gets a bad rap for the build quality of their consoles, but my experience today shows me that they are really making an effort to please their customers. I can't wait to get my PS2 back.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I know a few people who are on PS2 number 2 or higher! And these aren't people who are rough on their consoles. Sony has always had bad build quality in their PS lines, some people even go as far to suspect that they do that by design to increase their sales numbers.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Translation:

"We screwed up our second console launch in a row by cheaping out on the disk drive. Our bad, don't class action our asses and we'll make it right"

Andre F

Screenwriter
Chad,
Good for you but I've have had VERY bad problems with them (back to my PS1...). Maybe they are trying to change things...

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I have had many problems with the ps2 since I first bought it in jan 2001 but to Sony's credit, replaced it everytime with no hassle. IT took about four times but i have been on this one since jan of this year

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I just went through the exact same process as Chad. They volunteered to waive the fee.
I was asked if I had ever used a game shark or similar device, if I had used one, they wouldn't have waived the repair fee. Curious...
A friend recently sent his in with the same problems and told me to give them a call. There seems to be a lot of people out there having this same problem. I have to give Sony a big :emoji_thumbsup: for their great customer service this time.
Curt

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I was asked if I had ever used a game shark or similar device, if I had used one, they wouldn't have waived the repair fee. Curious...
I believe the Gameshark is an unlicenced peripheral. Sony always tell you to not use unlicenced stuff ;) I'm guessing they'd blame your use of the gameshark as the reason your PS2 has shoddy build quality ;)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Just for the record, my PSX lasted about 4 years...which I'm very pleased with considering it went through a lot of abnormal wear and tear (i.e. multiple mod chips including shipping it to NCSX to have the 1st one installed, an attempt to dye it black :b , and lots of travel).
My PS2, also purchased at launch, has worked flawlessly since say one.
Oh yeah, let me also add that a Sony engineer shipped me a new case for free for my original PSX after I ruined the first one (yes, related to the attempt to dye it black :) ). That same engineer sent my friend a free memory card after his dog chewed up his old one. We figured, "Hey, he was kind enough to send us the PSX case, why not ask about a memory card?". We actually only asked for a new memory card case (chips/circuits inside were fine, only the case was mangled), but when it arrived it was a whole new card.
I've been very pleased in my dealings with Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks