kudos to parts express and my new subs sound great!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill W., Dec 11, 2002.

1. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

Parts Express deserves kudos for their help on my sub replacements and for the quality and help in their packaging.

The replacement subs sound great, were easy to install, and I think actually sound better than the originals.

bill

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Which sub did you have replaced?

I'm using their 15" Dayton DVC driver. I'm pretty impressed with their products. I've also used some of the in-wall 3-way speakers before - which are pretty good for in-wall speakers.

3. Bill W.

I used 10" Ultimate subs to replace the sub drivers in my Carver Cinema 5.2 system.

Bill

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Bill
    Jus curious did you sim out the driver for the internal volume of the Carver 5.2 sub enclosers?
    Also had an adjustable boost from like 60hz to 30hz, at 0 to +6db if I remember correctly.
    Would this be correct?
    Set me straight if I am way out of line here with the boosting feature. Trying to go from memorie.
    I had for sale 2 original (never used) 10" Carver drivers from the 5.2 system.
    Picked them up when Carver went under from a place in Evertt Washington, they got ahold of allot of Carver inventory at that time.
    BUT the drivers are in use in something else now.
    I am sure from a visual stand point the Alum Ultimate cones look nice for sure. Glad you like the sound from your new driver replacments! [​IMG]
    Geoff

5. Bill W.

Geoff, I did measure the internal volume as closely as possible, and discussed the driver characteristics with the techs at PartsExpress.

I'm not sure about the boost you are talking about, I haven't even messed with the amp since I made the switch, that is this weekends project.

Unfortunately, the cones aren't visible with the sock cover, I'm trying to figure out a way to show them off!

The port in the 5.2's is a little short, so I don't get as much lower extension as is possible, but que sera, sera, since I didn't want to modify the enclosures themselves or change the port tube.

Bill

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Bill
    Thats good, the tech guys are very helpfull when someone is in a position like you where.
    Yes, forgot about the sock, but in the sun light, I am sure you can see a little shiny gleem in their.. [​IMG]
    Good that you & PE found something that worked decent. They (the 5.2) are not tuned that low to begin with.
    I figured tuning for the 5.2 and the other 5.1 set up that came before or after, can't remember now, a year or so ago.
    The first 5.1 set, with the (onboard amp powered sub) was tuned right around 30 and the 5.2 subs you replaced was around 33 to 35hz. They use a very odd size port diameter in the (self powered sub), speaking of the one you don't have.
    You must be one of the lucky ones, as the "5.2" set-up (got good reviews) but had allot of problems. The Center Channel with the Amps in it, seemed to be a problem for many owners.
    Went and checked some paper work and the Carver-10" self powered sub in the 5.1 set up, has the frequency adjustable boosting. Not sure about your 5.2.
    Good to hear your up and running.... If you need some 10 Carver drivers later, obviously, email me and I'll give you a name & number to someone who has them.
    Regards
    Geoff

7. Bill W.

Geoff,

Thanks for the comments, I did a frequency sweep once and got to around 30 in my room before I had dropoff.

I actually wrote one of the longer 5.2 reviews on audioreview.com 3 or 4 years ago. I've had great luck, never had the center channel "hum" or buzz that lots of people talked about. I've very much enjoyed this system, especially since I only paid $600 for the system at Costco about the time that Carver went bankrupt.

I'm probably going to go the SVS sub route in that room in the near future, to get some real bottom end in the room, but my wife thinks it has enough now so I'll have to be gentle!

Bill