What's new

Kubric's Barry Lyndon question (1 Viewer)

Thomas W

Agent
I purchased the stand alone DVD of Kubric's Barry Lyndon and was disappointed to see that it wasn't an anamorphic presentation. It was labeled as a widescreen "masked" version. I guess they fooled me with this subtle wording. Watching it in "full" mode stretches out the picture and I must watch it in a "theaterwide" mode (on a Toshiba 56H80)like any other 4:3 presentation.
My question is whether or not the version packaged in the Kubric retrospective package is also in the same "masked" widescreen?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Yup, it's got the same 1.66:1 aspect ratio, non-anamorphic.
But good good, what a transfer. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. About a zillion times better than the previous disc.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The disc is a stunner, as are all the discs in Warner's remastered Kubrick collection. It took a while, but it sure as hell was worth the wait.
If we're going to be anal about it, it's about 1.55:1, the same ratio as the previous disc.
Plus, if you live in Europe, most widescreen televisions have a 14:9 zoom, as so many TV shows are broadcast that way. This eliminates all problems with non-anamorphic 1.66:1 releases, as it zooms it in just enough to cut off the black bars and nothing more.
Doesn't it, Rob?
wink.gif

[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 02, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

ErichH

Screenwriter
After all the discussion about the transfers & what they could have been and Bla Bla Bla ........
I think most of us have settled in to what is a GREAT GIFT - the Kubrick Collection - 1 of
the Jewels of my collection . The films are so good , you forget about the ratios - Least I
Do . I'm not alone on this .
Eric

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Doesn't look like 1.66:1 to me; looks more like 1.5:1. Would this ratio even benefit from the anamorphic
treatment?
In a fit of anal retentiveness, I measured the aspect ratios of all of the recent letterboxed Kubrick re-masters, and Barry Lyndon was indeed something like 1.58:1. Would this benefit from anamorphic enhancement? Technically, yes, but probably not enough to justify the substantial loss in both vertical and horizontal resolution to owners of 4:3 sets.
Clockwork Orange (1.66:1) & Lolita (1.63:1) were extremely close to their nominal 1.66:1 ratios (making Clockwork somewhat wider than the previous DVD) and, IMHO, should have been anamorphic. Of course, why Lolita was not variable AR similar to Dr. Strangelove and like it was on the Kubrick-approved Criterion laserdisc was never really explained, and would have made the anamorphic question moot for that title.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Dunno, my Sony doesn't have a 14:9 mode.
frown.gif

That's sad. I thought it was pretty much a standard function? I must be mistaken.
And I do agree with ErichH - if I could only save one thing from my collection, it would be the remastered Kubrick box set.
And the three MGM discs and Criterion's Spartacus, of course.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
But good good, what a transfer. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. About a zillion times better than the previous disc.
I was going to start a new thread but noticed this one. I have the original version and am wondering if I should buy the remastered one. I have a 27" TV so the stuff about animorphicness doesn't concern me too much. But would the improved transfer be readily apparent even on a small tv?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My remastered set was delayed for several months (don't ask), but I finally got it this week. Watching the new disc of The Shining was almost like watching a new movie. I felt like I was seeing the Overlook for the very first time.
Now I'm looking forward to a nice long evening with Barry Lyndon.
M.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The Shining is a gorgeous disc. I was particularly imrpessed with the audio because it's been remastered into 5.1, but doesn't have that 'fake' sound that so many of the revamped tracks seem to have these days. That's what you get for only using the original materials. :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I agree with Rob & others on The Shining. As a matter of fact, I was getting grief from my wife for playing it too loudly last Tuesday evening. The previous version was so bad that it gave you its own grief when you tried to watch or listen to it. :)
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, my favorite DVDs.
Why did they release a non-remastered version before releasing a remastered version? Is this just a ploy to rip us off?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
And I'm not really cross at Warner for pulling such a cheap stunt as to capitalise on a brilliant filmmaker's final film by putting out sub-standard transfers that don't do justice in the slightest to Kubrick's cinematic canvases.
I'm not gonna hurt them. I'm just gonna bash their brains in...
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 31, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...yeah, I can picture it:
(Jon breaks down apt. door...)
"WARNERS, I'm home...!"
(proceeds to chase WB into locked bathroom)
"Little pigs, little pigs...please let me in...."etc.
(again, breaks down door)
"Here's Jonny!"
blush.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 31, 2001 at 07:26 PM]

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Do the good words about this disk (and the other Kubrick remastered collection disks) mean that the only thing left for Warner to correct is the ... VERY IMPORTANT ... correction to Eyes Wide Shut - i.e. releasing an uncensored version? (setting aside arguments about intended aspect ratios, since they are hard to settle.)
I have several on order from the remastered set and look forward to Barry Lyndon. I won't order EWS until it is released right.
------------------
  • May you be happy and well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks