What's new

Kubrick's plans for 'Napoleon' to be published (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
From Yahoo News:
I wonder if someone (Spielberg?) will pick up this project? It sounds like it could make for a fascinating movie. Historical biopics tend to garner Academy Award attention, so maybe we will see this one in a few years.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I think it's probably likely someone will try to run with this idea and actually make the film.

I have to say, though, I certainly hope it's NOT Spielberg.

Nonetheless, the book should be interesting.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I read about this, too. And, of course, I eagerly await the book. And I sincerely, sincerely hope that Spielberg stays away from this. The man who gave us Barry Lyndon demonstrated that he was one of the oh so few who could successfully tackle such an ambitious project. Spielberg ain't one of 'em.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Buying this book would be very hard for me, it would just deepen my disappointment as Kubrick's inability to get this off the ground is one of the most disheartening events in my life. There aren't many directors out there who I would entrust with the making of this film and regrettably, I don't see a major studio financing it, at least as scripted.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have to say, though, I certainly hope it's NOT Spielberg.
And why would Spielberg be involved with this? AI was a special case, since he worked with Kubrick on it, and probably would have directed it anyways even if Kubrick had lived.

Jason

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think people "think Spielberg" simply because he's the best-known of those contemporary directors who trace their aesthetic lineage back through Kubrick to Lang, and because Kubrick and Spielberg shared a friendship and something of a mutual admiration society... and, certainly, because of "a.i.".

I mean, who else would one think of? Todd Haynes?

Luc D

Second Unit
This is great news! Anything new from Kubrick is worth taking a look (I have read the script online, but I'm sure there will be a lot more to this book than the crude screenplay floating around out there).

Personally, I hope no one tries to make this. I know it's not a very popular opinion on this forum, but if A.I. is any indication then no one should try to do Kubrick.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
has the 1927 Napoleon film by Able Gance been released on DVD ? I read on the BFI website a report on the restoration yet nothing about a dvd.

regards

Oscar Merkx

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
No "Napoleon" DVD that I'm aware of - I'm holding out for the full 8-1/2 hour cut of Gance's "La Roue"*! :)
*Which itself was adapted for Guy Maddin's 5-minute short film "Eye Like a Strange Balloon"... slightly redacted, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks