What's new

Kubrick box & Eyes Wide Shut (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Folks,
I currently own the Stanley Kubrick box set which contians Lolita, Strangelove, 2001, Orange, Lyndon, Shining, and Metal Jacket. (7 DVDs, white box).
Today in Best Buy, I saw another Kubrick box that has all of the above, as well as Eyes Wide Shut and a documentary DVD.
Are the DVDs exactly the same between the boxes? Also, I remember reading somewhere that Eyes Wide Shut was edited. Does this box contain the edited version?
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to sell my box and get the new one.
Mike

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Mike-
That box is the remastered version of the box set you have. All of the films except for Dr. Strangelove and EWS have been restored and the picture quality is dramatically better across the board, it's a night and day difference even on my relatively small TV (25"). And Strangelove, though not a new transfer is the Special Edition version released last february with 2 excellent new documentaries and a split-screen interviews with Sellers and Scott (similar to the interview with Jean Simmons on Criterion's Spartacus). In particular Barry Lydon, 2001 and The Shinning (three of the weakest discs from the earlier box imho) are absolutely stunning now. Sadly EWS is the same disc that's available seperately with the cgi censorship. On the other hand the new box is the only place to get the extra disc containing the superb "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures" documentary by Kubrick's brother-in-law and producing partner Jan Harlan. You can't buy it seperately, although I think Cinemax occaisionally airs it if you wnat to try taping it. And The Shinning now includes a commentary by Vivian Kubrick during her "Making of the Shinning" documentary. But the interview with Arthur C. Clarke has been removed from the 2001 DVD for space reasons (the new anamorphic transfer took up more space than the old letterboxed one). In short the new box, though not perfect, is a vast improvement over the older box you have. A must-buy imo.
- Guy
[Edited last by Guy Martin on September 09, 2001 at 01:35 PM]

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
I had the old set, but have replaced it with the new one.
In addition to the documentary DVD and the US-edited "R"-rated version of "Eyes Wide Shut", the new box set includes remasters of the other movies, including an anamorphic "2001:A Space Odyssey" and non-anamorphic, but better transfers, of several of the others. In addition, all but "Lolita" have Dolby Digital 5.1 sound in the new set.
You might find this review helpful: http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickrevie...oll_2k.q.shtml
Enjoy!
Burke

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're right down the street from me, being in Brighton.
Scrap the old Kubrick box, get the new one. I replaced all my old discs except FMJ (which is my favorite, strangely enough) and I have never regretted it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap!
I wasn't gonna get the newer set, because I don't even like Eyes Wide Shut that much, but 5.1 sound mixes and anamorphic 2001 have changed my mind.
Thanks for the info, but no thank you for getting me to spend more money! :)

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
On the other hand the new box is the only place to get the extra disc containing the superb "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures" documentary by Kubrick's brother-in-law and producing partner Jan Harlan. You can't buy it seperately, although I think Cinemax occaisionally airs it if you wnat to try taping it.
Strange, over here they sell all the titles including "A Life In Pictures" also separately for around $12?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks