What's new

Kubrick 16:9 (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Go figure. But the same has been wondered recently in another thread about Richard Lester and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. Artists may have their own reasoning (or in some cases, perhaps even indifference).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thank you, Christian.

I completely agree. I have always thought that.

My theory is that at some point later in life Kubrick simply "changed his mind" about the composition, like he changed his mind about both "2001" and "The Shining," re-editing them after they were in theaters.

I also recall someone involved with "The Shining" saying that it was definitely composed for 1.85. Can't remember who it was, but I read it here at HTF.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Chaplin also changed his mind later in life and re-edited several of his films. Fans don't seem to take these versions too serious though. Even with THE SHINING, Kubrick cut over thirty minutes from the film, which would mean this shorter version was his "prefered" version yet America has only seen the longer one.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, in that case, Lester was fine with open matte for laserdisc, but was probably keen on it being 16x9 enhanced at 1.66:1 for Miramax's DVD since it's common now. I'm almost certain this was the same thing Kubrick had in mind.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Jack Johnson: Given the choice between choice and no choice, I'll always pick choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks