What's new

Krix Seismix 3 Mk2 Subwoofer review (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ed Mullen's got a new review up at Secrets, this time of the Krix Seismix 3 Mk2 Subwoofer. The performance seems, well, less than stellar, especially considering the online competition at half the price. The review, however, shows why Ed is among the best at what he does...they just keep improving.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Less than stellar is a nice way to put it Jack. As usual, another outstanding review from Ed without all the subjective fluff. I wish all reviews were this objective.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the nice comments. :)

I think many of us are getting spoiled by the extraordinary price/performance ratio of internet based audio product offerings. It is difficult for standard OEM's with the traditional distribution and sales support overhead structure to offer similar performance levels at competitive prices. I do think it is a sign of the times.....

Savvy consumers who frequent audio/HT forums are "in the know" about the hottest internet based products, and they are not afraid to purchase them on-line. With that said, I think we are still in the minority; a weekend trip through any Circuit City, Tweeter, Fry's, Best Buy, etc. will tell you the traditional brick and mortar concept is still alive and kicking.

It's the audio salons who are probably feeling the squeeze more than anyone. And there are some darn good products on the market that can only be found at these speciality shops.

So the subwoofers being slated for Secrets review in 2005 will intentionally be a cross-section of what's available from internet, brick and mortar, and audio salons - all at various price points.

Regards,

Ed

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Boy at $975 to $1,375 that Krix is sure super expensive for the performance. I wonder if they sell any? The sales guys must feel guilty at that price. I think I will stick to my $700 Hsu Research VTF-3MK2.

PC

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

Agreed, by looking back at Ed's STF-2 review it looks as if it slighty outperforms or is at least on the same level as the Krix, which is saying alot since it is a $400 sub. Internet direct is really becoming the new wave!

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Certainly is. Price/Performance comparisons like this are where you can see the value of it being directly sold to us the consumer. Works for me.

PC

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I know.....it is looking fairly busy lately. :frowning:

I've been considering one generic hotlink to a list at another website; it would certainly look cleaner....

Your signature block looks familiar though, so the idea must have had some merit - lol. ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Your signature block looks familiar though, so the idea must have had some merit - lol.:)
__________________________________________________ __

I see your perception today is as keen as your humor Ed;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hee hee – busted! What is it they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? :D

Excellent review, by the way – as usual. :) I must say, you sure were kind to the Krix to EQ it before the listening test.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robb ... Nice Link, PLUS a guy can learn about cigars in between subwoofer reviews.

More guys need to try cigars ... it is RARE to see an angry man with a cigar in his mouth ... ;)

Ed ... Excellent review, and you are getting REALLY good at letting people know a subwoofer is not very good without resorting to insults... well done ! ... :emoji_thumbsup:

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

Put a CAO Italia in my mouth on a Saturday afternoon, hide my lighter and MacAllan, and I'll show you what angry looks like!

-Robb

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
not very good without resorting to insults... well done ! ...
__________________________________________________ __

I'm tellin ya, it's all in the numbers man:D Well mostly.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Richard - thank you.

Wayne - just bustin' on ya. Imitate away.....:)

Well, I did give it a listen in-room with the LPF set to high, and the mid-bass peak was obvious. Setting the LPF to low definitely helped, but in the end the PEQ was the WTG. I wanted to give it a fair shot, and frankly the Krix sounded quite good (well balanced and natural) after the PEQ, which is no surprise given the decent looking FR I managed to obtain. Gotta love those PEQs.....

Robb - Wow, I love it. Many thanks; I owe you a cold one. I'll change my signature block shortly and provide you with updates whenever a new review hits Secrets. Now I just have to keep you on my good side. ;)

Craig/Steve - I think the ability to post the objective data and let the numbers speak for themselves saves a lot of time (and grief). It's really not hard to predict how a subwoofer will perform and sound after running it through the GP session.

There's no pixie dust or magic to good subwoofer performance; if it measures flat, deep, clean, linear, and loud then good in-home performance is virtually a lock.

I might sound like a broken record, but Keith Yates' WDD series was such a good example of objective performance being a good predictor of subjective impressions. Nothing in that series impressed him more than the Genelec (a bass reflex design BTW). And not just on HT, but on music (at all volume levels). Not surprisingly, the Genelec won every objective test. Coincidence? Hardly.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What I meant by it's all in the numbers is> your ability to do a review and let the numbers speak for them-self. No need to be to brutal in a review when so much really is in the numbers like you state.

I like your format Ed and neglected in getting back to you last week in regards.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

Keep the cold ones coming and the BS at a minimum in your posts and reviews, and my good side is an easy location to find.

-Robb

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robb ... I stand corrected, I should have said LIT cigar in one's mouth ... :)

Ed ... You nailed it on the Genelec ... As you know, I am playing with the DD-18 in our home, and it is a darn nice piece of subwoofer, though pricey even at its $3500 "street price" ... It *does* have an edge over the "plus" series SVS I had here for sheer SQ ... but, from what you (and many others) have posted, a (SQ) comparison between it and the PB12-Ultra/2 would be a good one.

My guess is the SVS would have a solid 7-9 dB advantage in the 20 Hz stuff in YOUR style of test ... your reverse sine wave from 100 Hz on down is not only a true torture test, it is repeatable and easy to follow... and the higher level in SQ reported by pretty much every ULTRA driver owner is compelling, for sure.

By the way, for those interested.... when I tested the Maestro, I was using quick "pulses" for my deep bass max SPL measurements ... vs. Ed's approach.

You will likely see (just an educated guess) 6-8 dB lower output from a product using Ed's method than mine.

It is also pretty clear a pair of PB-12-Ultra/2's would give the Genelec a real contest, for 40% of the money ...

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yup. That'll tell you the sub's intrinsic capabilities...an eq will take care of your room. People do like a little pixie dust, though...the psychoacoutic-enhancing kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks