What's new

Krispy Kreme --beware of the "bonus" dozen (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN MISLED.
Where have you been mislead? You bring up a situation where there is a sign that says "Fresh". Where is the sign that says the 2nd dozen is fresh? You are assuming. You can't expect these kinds of things when you assume.

I think what people are thinking is, it is common knowledge to get "Fresh" donuts when you buy them at KK. This is a reasonable expectation because you are paying for them, but in the case of free donuts, as long as there isn't a sign stating that the 2nd dozen is supposed to be "Fresh", I don't see how you can expect it to be 100% fresh.

Now if the deal was, donate a $1 and get a FRESH dozen donuts, I wouldn't be arguing.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
KK is probably getting a little kick back somehow
yes, they will. if it is cash, a kickback from the charities, or added business from the positive image from the community. or just the interest from all the extra money that people pay to get the old donuts. call it whatever you want, but KK is certainly not donating everything. perhaps we should consider that a crime, or at the very least, unethical. i dont see you calling KK up and questioning their moral values for keeping some of the money intended for donation.

CJ

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Definitely. And a day-old KK is always going to be better than the freshest donut from most other places, microwaved or not. Where's our franchise, dammit! :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Here in Vegas, you can buy KK donuts in the grocery store in a nice pre-packaged box that were probably made that morning or the previous day. They cost alot more than $1.00!

They aren't STALE in any way. Those KK donuts can last a good two days with all that sugar on them before they start getting stale.

I would think that getting basically the same quality donut that you can buy in a grocery store, but getting it at the bakery for a $1.00 is a screaming deal and noone needs to complain about it.

Sebastian

Second Unit
The glazing had shrunken and they were much chewier than the fresher ones
I have seen 2 and even 3 day old KK donuts in my local supermarkets and they did not even closely resemble anything like this. These donuts IMO were probably closer to a week old or have been driving around in their delivery truck and got hot and melted a little.

KK should inform the consumer that the donuts are old and are morally wrong for withholding the truth.
It is called the "whole truth" in court room talk.

Don't offer me old donuts for a charity donation! I would rather pay full price and just give a buck for free.

David Range

Agent
yes, they will. if it is cash, a kickback from the charities, or added business from the positive image from the community. or just the interest from all the extra money that people pay to get the old donuts. call it whatever you want, but KK is certainly not donating everything. perhaps we should consider that a crime, or at the very least, unethical. i dont see you calling KK up and questioning their moral values for keeping some of the money intended for donation.
You're reaching here. Kickbacks from charities? How do you know for certain that the interest and all the cash received is not donated? Positive image from the community is the only plus to the whole equation. Although the "old" donuts didn't come from space, they had to be made with ingredients, machinery and workers and packaging. So there is cost involved. Instead of throwing them away and writing off the cost involved, they decided to give them away with a donation. As a bakery owner myself, this thread has certainly caught my attention. I donate day old cookies to different charities and shelters, but they don't always want or need them. They're not much on nutritional content, so imho, money is much more useful for blankets, food, clothing, etc. Sure, I take a tax write off, I take one if I throw them away anyways, so it's a wash. I think KK has the right idea, but the wrong implementation. They should tell customers the second dozen are day old if they are indeed a day old for a couple of reasons. One, you never want to give away or much less sell inferior product without the customer knowing so, it only hurts your product reputation. And two, this very thread. KK has now offended part of their customer base because of a poorly thought out, although generous idea.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Here in Atlanta, there isn't a "Fresh" sign but a Fire Engine Red Neon "Hot" Sign. They turn it on when the product is rolling off the machines. The product is literally drooping from being so fresh and the glaze is still liquid. I have never had stale doughnuts from KK. Then again, I would never buy KK from a grocery store since I pass by 2 "factories" everyday going to work. 4 chances to pad up for the winter everyday. Even the ones we use to sell for $1.50 a box in high school for various fund raisers were fresh. Yes, I dated myself: $1.50 for the first dozen.

KK is not doing anything unethical. I also think that Brian's situation is an isolated case which is why I sent him to the website to file a concern. When a patron buys 2 dozen doughnuts, they give a buck to Charity. As I said before, that is a standard promotion in my area. The second dozen is a buck without any mention of a Charity. So, the cost of the second dozen is $1 which happens to be the same amount being donated.

They should just say when you take advantage of our special we will give the proceeds from the second dozen to Charity. You get your doughnuts and a small tingle that you have helped somebody out somewhere without all the guilt trip being spewed in this thread.

"To be deductible, contributions must be made to qualified organizations."

KK ain't on the list. Brian bought doughnuts and did not make a charitable donation. He should have gotten 2 fresh boxes of heart attack.

I'm out.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Maybe the original poster just got a 'bad batch' instead of KK will giving you yesterdays donutes. They might as well have this deal everyday instead of just on Tuesday's if they are tring to unload old donuts.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You didn't pay the $1 for the donuts, so they have no obligation if you aren't completely satisfied.
Uhhh if he gave KK a buck and got 12 donuts because of that buck it wasn't a donation. He was paying $1 for a dozen. What happens to that dollar afterwards is not the customers concern.

You can justify it all you want as a "charity donation" but thats not what it is. It was goods exchanged for a price. KK just happens to take a cut of their earnings and donate it to charity as a gift from KK. If it truely was a donation you wouldn't get anything from it and it would be donated in the customers name instead.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Man, I sure am glad I read this whole thread. I have learned a lot about absolutely nothing of consequence. But now I have this overwhelming urge for donuts. Anybody got a spare dollar?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
If you had really read the whole thread :p) you would know that you can't get what might (or might not) be stale or possibly day-old, or perhaps 2,3,4.... day-old doughnuts for one dollar, that may (or may not) be considered a charitable donation, because the possibility exists that it's all just a write-off, and/or a kickback designed to take advantage of people who might (or might not) be heartless bastards depending upon their satisfaction with the quality of the doughnuts that they purchased (or maybe didn't purchase) for a dollar.

:D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Hasn't anyone ever given to charities?

Yeah, but I don't launder the money thru donut shops.

> I donate almost $500 every year and have NEVER claimed it on my tax returns.

Translation: I don't itemize my deductions. :D

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, I bought the dozen KK's original glazed for $4.80 at Target (promotion ends tomorrow). They were awful, tasting like 3-4 days old.

My experience is based on 14 dozen KK's in a few months after MN's first KK opened in Maple Grove. While most times, my wife and I never let the supply (always bought 2 dozen each visit) go past 2 days, sometimes we'd have a few leftovers at 3-4 days.

2-day old Krispy Kremes taste great (given that they are picked up from 'hot and now') - still light and fluffy. The Target dozen were heavy, chewy, and dry.

The dozen wasn't even worth a dollar.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I just bought a dozen this morning and they are fine, I have never had a bad KK dougnut. I agree, KK dougnuts are pretty good even a day or two later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks